Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #106
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read a lot of ebooks on PDA since Palm, Windows Mobile, and now iPhone (got it like new at only $380 w/o contract, a bit more expensive than 6-inch e-ink reader). The beauty of them is to have ebooks with you all (almost) the time.

I never expect to read ebook in bright outdoor; but I read a lot on my bed before falling asleep, at lowest brightness setting on my phone (still too bright for me, though).

Most important for me is to read full-content news whenever I can, in train, in vet (sorry), in waiting line, etc. This could be done by retrieving those news through Mobipocket desktop and copy those prc files to my iPhone.

Another important thing is iPhone/touch support Thai language without flaw.

After researching all the ebook readers in market right now, I still cannot find one which supports both mobi/prc and Thai as good as my iPhone.

I use Kindle app on iPhone for mobi enews reading and use eReader to read ebooks (English novels, mostly) because it supports in-book dictionary lookup.

I also use Stanza to read ePub ebooks. GoodReader for pdf with reflow, DOC and Quickoffice.....how versatile my iPhone is!

I do not see battery life an issue at all when reading ebooks because I usually charge my phone every other night. This is good enough.

Having said all the above, I'm still looking for my perfect e-ink reader for in-sofa reading. My ideal ebook reader should at least support Thai and mobi format reasonably well.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #107
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have a Sony and an iPhone 3GS, and basically have abandoned the Sony (my son uses it occasionally). I love the idea of the eInk display, but the page turns were just too distracting for my reading style. But I know others who aren't bothered by it at all.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #108
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
I got into the whole ebook thing on my iphone. thought it was a great idea, only after reading for half hour i would get dreadful headaches.
i have now bought a dedicated e-reader (ECO reader) and could not be happier, reading for hours with no headache's what so ever :-)
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #109
fjw70
fjw70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle,iPhone
I have a Kindle and I am looking to buy an iPod Touch. I really love the Kindle as an ereader but I would like something mobile that I can use for web, email, and pdfs. Also, the Touch would be nice as a backup ereader.
fjw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #110
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjw70 View Post
the Touch would be nice as a backup ereader.
This. I don't like reading on my iPhone for any extended period of time, but it's fine for reading for a few minutes when I'm stuck in a line, waiting room, etc. Conversely, I really like reading off the e-ink screen of the Kindle, but it's too big to lug around with me everywhere. The ability to sync so that I can pick up right where I left off on whatever device I'm using at the moment is the really killer feature - it's like living in the future. I hope B&N's implementation of this works as well as the Kindle version.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #111
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjw70 View Post
I have a Kindle and I am looking to buy an iPod Touch. I really love the Kindle as an ereader but I would like something mobile that I can use for web, email, and pdfs. Also, the Touch would be nice as a backup ereader.
I have both the Kindle and the iTouch and love them both.

I rarely read on my iTouch, but do use it every day for many other applications and listen to a lot of audio books on it. With Calibre, it is a snap to get books to read into Stanza which is my preferred reading software when I do use it for ebooks.

Cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 AM   #112
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Kindle V Ipod Touch

I cant say much about the Kindle, as its only just available here in the UK, and I have not purchased one yet. I have had a Sony PR505 for little over a year now, and I have to admit I still use it more than I do Stanza on my Iphone.

When you travel as much as I do on business (A lot of it alone) those lonely nights in hotel bars can actually be less lonely as other, often lonely travelers, ask you about the reader and then on to what your reading, and then the usual, what you do for a living and (Especially with those of you from the wonderful USA) What do you make!

If Im reading a normal book, or using Stanza on the phone, I tend to get left alone.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #113
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
I have a Sony PRS505 and an Iphone and I love them both, but I must say the iphone gets more use as its always with me.

I really enjoy reading on it, I dont find the screen size a struggle even though I have vision problems.

I want to keep them both, but if I HAD to choose the iphone would be the keeper.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote