Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wells, H. G.: The War of the Worlds v2.0 2008-05-28

Yes, this is a repeat book. But I wanted to do a proper format so here it is direct from Project Gutenberg. I have a little trick I used in Book Designer. Take a look at the table of contents and then the footers. I'm not yet posting the HTML0 file so I can keep you guessing about my trick. If anyone knows, feel free to say so. I want to know who can be the first to figure it out.

Quote:
H.G. Wells's science fiction classic, the first novel to explore the possibilities of intelligent life from other planets, it still startling and vivid nearly after a century after its appearance, and a half-century after Orson Wells's infamous 1938 radio adaptation. The daring portrayal of aliens landing on English soil, with its themes of interplanetary imperialism, technological holocaust and chaos, is central to the career of H.G. Wells, who died at the dawn of the atomic age. The survival of mankind in the face of "vast and cool and unsympathetic" scientific powers spinning out of control was a crucial theme throughout his work. Visionary, shocking and chilling, The War Of The Worlds has lost none of its impact since its first publication in 1898.
Version 1.0 had 348 views
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The War of the Worlds.lrf (464.1 KB, 1588 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
good stuff
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you referring to the fact that the page footers have the chapter titles, but the TOC doesn't? The chapter titles are, I guess, given the "subtitle" style, but I'm not sure how you get that effect. I'd be interested to know!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is this BookDesigner you're talking about?

You mention a trip in BD, but what I like is the fact there are NO UNDERLINED FIRST WORD in a hyperlink!!

Now, that's what I like!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
What I did was make the two lines of the contents a paragraph style. Then I seperated both lines with a blank line. Then I gave the entry in the table of contents a title style and the second line a subtitle style. Book Designer then put the title in the table of contents and the Title + Subtitle as the footer. I think it's a nice effect. That way you get the full title in the footer and on an unmodified Reader you get the table of contents with all the same size font.
Very cunning!
Advert
Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
Is this BookDesigner you're talking about?

You mention a trip in BD, but what I like is the fact there are NO UNDERLINED FIRST WORD in a hyperlink!!

Now, that's what I like!

Don
That's because there are no hyperlinks, I believe. Jon hasn't got a table of contents in the text - just the "Reader" one generated from "Title" styles. No hyperlinks, hence no underlines.

I must admit I do like having a "Contents" page at the start of the book as well as the "TOC" menu item on the Reader!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
That's because there are no hyperlinks, I believe. Jon hasn't got a table of contents in the text - just the "Reader" one generated from "Title" styles. No hyperlinks, hence no underlines.

I must admit I do like having a "Contents" page at the start of the book as well as the "TOC" menu item on the Reader!
Well that's one reason I'm including the HTML0 file. Not everyone is going to like the way I've formatted it. So its just a matter of redoing anything you want that I did not do or do to the way you prefer. What I was thinking of doing next time is working from the HTML code and then using html2lrf to format it and see if I get the contents don't have any underlines.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Very cunning!
I actually found it by accident. And then decided I liked it because on an unmodified reader, the font changes size. So it means the font for the ToC would be the same size for the external ToC.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-09-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Made version 2.0 to make it better formatted to my current formatting specifications.