Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Exclamation Big Memory Problem

Hi,
my library is about 47.000 books and never gave me problems.
Since a couple of days Calibre has been going slower and slower.
I have open task manager and seen that calibre had burst of memory requests eating up to 1,8GB. Then it returns to regular 200MB. Then again to 1,8MB when I move the book selector.
I have tried to check the DB but I had no errors.
Then I have tried to restore the DB but calibre halts in the second phase.

Could please someone help ?

Thanks in advance
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
Hi,
my library is about 47.000 books and never gave me problems.
Since a couple of days Calibre has been going slower and slower.
I have open task manager and seen that calibre had burst of memory requests eating up to 1,8GB. Then it returns to regular 200MB. Then again to 1,8MB when I move the book selector.
I have tried to check the DB but I had no errors.
Then I have tried to restore the DB but calibre halts in the second phase.

Could please someone help ?

Thanks in advance
Sounds normal (for that big of a library).

What you have is a view of your library that needs to be rebuilt when you change position (the gain then back to base memory usage).
Load your system up with the most RAM that your OS and hardware support (the board could support more RAM than the OS can use. eg XP 3.2G max used)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sounds normal (for that big of a library).

What you have is a view of your library that needs to be rebuilt when you change position (the gain then back to base memory usage).
Load your system up with the most RAM that your OS and hardware support (the board could support more RAM than the OS can use. eg XP 3.2G max used)
I have already 8GB and Seven 64.
I have not understood what solution you are proposing apart increasing memory on my MBoard. Could you please explain ?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
I have already 8GB and Seven 64.
I have not understood what solution you are proposing apart increasing memory on my MBoard. Could you please explain ?
You need do nothing with that fine rig (Set envy flag ON ).
I am used to folk running wimpy (even less than I have) systems
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Split your library up into more manageable chunks?

47,000 books? Yikes.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
check /reset page file size ?

though any program that cannot cope within 8GB needs a redesign, IMHO!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie

Thumbs up SOLVED

Guys,
Calibre is very solid at managing even 47.000 books.

I have restored the DB and now the problem has disappeared. Only 210MB of memory are used an no more bursts to 1,8GB are happening.