Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #31
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Aenea, could you just offer the patch/diff file? This would be perfectly legit.
Yes, it's possible, I almost finished a version which doesn't need to be patched and to test it out I wanted to download the cf-card restore image, but they smartly moved it behind your iRex account, so only people with an iLiad can download it!!!

Never mind though, people know it can be done, if something happens to mobipocket I can put it out there again. Besides, before that happens I will have finished my next project which might be able to do the same

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #32
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is this being done using iRex's source code for the iLiad MobiPocket reader? If so, do you have their permission to use it in this way - ie, is this a 100% legal conversion tool?
To answer your question: NO, I did not use their source code. I used their compiled code, wrote a couple of utilities in C to change references and other stuff in the class files and used a decompiler. Then I had to change lots of code by hand to get it to recompile again and spent a lot of time analyzing the code so I could use it for my purposes...

In the future I will write something which doesn't need any of their code, in binary or otherwise...

Aenea
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #33
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
But you might get into trouble with the guys from Mobipocket, because you'll violate the EUCD/DMCA. Though I'd really want your program
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
He can't violate the DMCA -- he's not in the U.S.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #35
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Well ok, but he is a she. (Totally unrelated, I know )
There's still the EUCD, isn't there?
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Well ok, but he is a she. (Totally unrelated, I know )
Unrelated, perhaps, but not unimportant. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Quote:
There's still the EUCD, isn't there?
I'm not real familiar with the EUCD or how it would apply here, if you've got more info on it, then please do share.

From a quick perusal of the Wikipedia article on it, it looks like it's probably holier than all the cheese in Switzerland.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #37
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm not real familiar with the EUCD or how it would apply here, if you've got more info on it, then please do share.
As far as I know it's basically the same as the DMCA: It's prohibited to circumvent copy protections and offer software which does so.
One of the bad side effects is that it became impossible to legally watch copy protected DVD's with free software (almost every DVD is copy protected with CSS). Of course I still watch DVD's on my Linux system, although it's not legal
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #38
Aenea
Zealot

Quote:
But you might get into trouble with the guys from Mobipocket, because you'll violate the EUCD/DMCA. Though I'd really want your program
I made a new version v0.4, it's at http://aenea.xs4all.nl/ and it does not contain any copyrighted code from either iRex or Mobipocket...

It is a bit more difficult to get all the necessary files though...

And as for the DMCA, well, I can, as a non-US citizin circumvent a DRM legally...

Aenea
Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #39
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post
I made a new version v0.4, it's at http://aenea.xs4all.nl/ and it does not contain any copyrighted code from either iRex or Mobipocket...

And as for the DMCA, well, I can, as a non-US citizin circumvent a DRM legally...

Aenea
Excellent! Since it's code is separate from the viewer, this should work with any updates to the mobipocket viewer. Great work!
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
HarryT, I'd be very surprised if you're right on this. There have been quite a few well publicized cases recently where media publishers have gone after people who made "unlocking" tools available to break various forms of DRM. I've picked up a pretty strong impression that in the US, distributing the tools themselves is illegal under the DMCA. I don't agree that this should be the case, but I think that's the way the US law reads currently.

(Isn't it ironic that we should be having this somewhat role-reversed conversation?)
Oh well - it just seems a reasonable thing to do, but I'm certainly not a lawyer and nobody said that the law had to make sense .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #41
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
The main reason I hate DRM is:
1. I buy the movie/book etc and want to use any of my own devices.
2. Too many times the service closes down and most drm ends up locked for ever. I never ever ever agree to a expiration timer on my stuff.
Ofcourse, if there was a month timer on an ebook but it is just 1 dollar, ok I choose that.
I am very much interested in Mobipocket, but I am jittery about the DRM versions due recent incidents. So this software will be great. I am looking forward to a full easy to use version to back up DRM mobipocket into non DRM (or to read it on any other device or reader, e.g. FBreader).
So..attagirl!
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #42
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Here's a tool I wrote a while ago for myself which does not use any of Mobipocket's code. Python implementation is not too fast but gets the job done. Was planning to use it for adding secure mobi support to FBReader once I get around to porting it but I guess the cat is out of bag now...

Right now it only decrypts. I do have an implementation of Mobi Huff decompressor but there's some bug in it which causes wrong output at the end of decompressed text... If anyone is willing to debug it, I'll send the source.

Version 0.1
I would like to help, but I don't think I have the knowledge to do so (I only know some basic C++ and Shell scripts). Maybe you should make a new thread?

Last edited by IceHand; 09-06-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #43
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post

Aenea
My respect, Aenea. Thanks for reacting so promptly.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Here's a tool I wrote a while ago for myself which does not use any of Mobipocket's code.
This failed for me on on Harvard Classics, Vol. 10: Wealth of Nations, which costs $0.99. I don't think the DMCA applies, since it is hard to argue that this book is copyrighted. The conversion completed, but MobiPocket's Windows Reader v 6 crashes when opening the out.mobi file. It also still displays as junk when opened by FBReader.

By the way, MobiPocket PID's don't always have "$" as the 8th character. A modified version that discarded the last 2 characters out of 10 and ignored the "$" worked for me even on a PID without the "$".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #45
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This failed for me on on Harvard Classics, Vol. 10: Wealth of Nations, which costs $0.99. I don't think the DMCA applies, since it is hard to argue that this book is copyrighted. The conversion completed, but MobiPocket's Windows Reader v 6 crashes when opening the out.mobi file. It also still displays as junk when opened by FBReader.

By the way, MobiPocket PID's don't always have "$" as the 8th character. A modified version that discarded the last 2 characters out of 10 and ignored the "$" worked for me even on a PID without the "$".
Here is a link to the MobileRead Harvard Classics Mobi version of Vol 10. No DRM at all.

In fact, the entire Harvard Classics series is available for free at MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote