Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
windycitygal
windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor
Questions/comments on Droid apps for NC

Gmail: I'm unable to access my address book/contacts. This means that for every mail I compose, I have to manually type in the email address. Not very workable. What could be doing wrong here?

I've also set up the generic Mail icon that came with AutoNooter 3.0.0 to connect to my Gmail account, thinking I may just use that interface. Same problem.

Have looked for a separate Contacts/Address Book app for Gmail in the Marketplace and can't find one.

ADW Launcher: I tried Launcher Pro and just switched to ADW Launcher. While all the phone buttons are gone from ADW Launcher (great!), I notice that now the book icon to continue reading doesn't work. Since it worked with Launcher Pro, this seems to be particular to ADW Launcher.

Softkeys: The little icon that floated on the screen was so annoying to me, that I played around enough to get it off screen. The only reason I seem to need this app is when I open NookColor Tools.

NookColor Tools: Speaking of which...I know I shouldn't need to access this much, but it's a pain that when I do open and app through this interface I must reboot the NC to get back to the main list of apps if I don't have the Softkey button floating on screen. Ah, well.

Angry Birds: Yeah, I want it just like 99% of the world. Too bad it won't load from Marketplace on the NC. Only Angry Birds Seasons is there. In another post it was suggested that I try to load it after downloading from an Android phone. I don't have an Android phone (work pays for my mobile phone, but they don't support Android yet...one hand giveth, the other taketh away...) but I have a friend with one. Can I load it via a micro SD card? Otherwise I'm a bit stumped on how to transfer from a phone to an NC.

EDIT: Almost forgot...Netflix. Is there a real Netflix app for Android that I'm overlooking? I have one for my iPhone, but it would be great to watch a movie on my NC.

Last edited by windycitygal; 02-14-2011 at 12:45 PM.
windycitygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitygal View Post
Gmail: I'm unable to access my address book/contacts. This means that for every mail I compose, I have to manually type in the email address. Not very workable. What could be doing wrong here?
I haven't had any luck fixing this either

Quote:
I've also set up the generic Mail icon that came with AutoNooter 3.0.0 to connect to my Gmail account, thinking I may just use that interface. Same problem.

Have looked for a separate Contacts/Address Book app for Gmail in the Marketplace and can't find one.

ADW Launcher: I tried Launcher Pro and just switched to ADW Launcher. While all the phone buttons are gone from ADW Launcher (great!), I notice that now the book icon to continue reading doesn't work. Since it worked with Launcher Pro, this seems to be particular to ADW Launcher.
I use the home screen program "zeam". It has no phone icons; allows me to add additional app shortcuts to the bottom bar (like the volume app I mention below); and the reading icon on the bottom status bar works.

Quote:
Softkeys: The little icon that floated on the screen was so annoying to me, that I played around enough to get it off screen. The only reason I seem to need this app is when I open NookColor Tools.
If you play around with the settings of Softkey, you should be able to configure it to pop up the "keys" when you double click the N button; that way you don't need to have the floating icon.

Some people prefer to install the program "Button Saviour" instead of Softkey - you might try that.

I prefer to not use ANY key program. I prefer to reprogram the Volume keys so that volume up is Menu; and volume down is "back". I then download an app to change the volume, and have a shortcut on my bottom bar. You can find out how to change the volume keys on the wiki page.

Quote:
NookColor Tools: Speaking of which...I know I shouldn't need to access this much, but it's a pain that when I do open and app through this interface I must reboot the NC to get back to the main list of apps if I don't have the Softkey button floating on screen. Ah, well.

Angry Birds: Yeah, I want it just like 99% of the world. Too bad it won't load from Marketplace on the NC. Only Angry Birds Seasons is there. In another post it was suggested that I try to load it after downloading from an Android phone. I don't have an Android phone (work pays for my mobile phone, but they don't support Android yet...one hand giveth, the other taketh away...) but I have a friend with one. Can I load it via a micro SD card? Otherwise I'm a bit stumped on how to transfer from a phone to an NC.
You can load it via SDCard. Make sure you have toggled "Allow Non-MarketApps" in Nook color tools because although it defaults to checked, it usually needs to be toggled on and off one time after installation for it to make the actual change to the registry.

You can download the .apk file here:
http://www.getjar.com/mobile/43600/a...d-x/?s=reviews

When you click the download button - look for the option to download "to your computer". You can then "sideload" the apk, by putting it on your SD card. You will probably need to install a file manager first on your NC (I like Astro) which will let you navigate to the SD Card and performs installs of apk files.

You can also email the apk to yourself; and then install the apk from your nook.

Or, my favorite is to setup a dropbox account on my computer; put the apk in my NC; and then install dropbox app (should be in the Market) and install the apk from the dropbox app.

Dropbox is also a GREAT way to get books to your NC, or any other files. I actually have my Calibre library inside my Dropbox folder on my computer; so any file in my calibre library is easily downloaded to my NC from my dropbox app on my NC.

Quote:
EDIT: Almost forgot...Netflix. Is there a real Netflix app for Android that I'm overlooking? I have one for my iPhone, but it would be great to watch a movie on my NC.
Nope - no Netflix app yet. It is in the works but reports are that it may be only available for certain devices that are compliant with certain security protocols, which probably won't include the NC.

Last edited by jasoraso; 02-14-2011 at 01:27 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I use DejaOffice for a number of tasks, including populating/syncing the native Android contacts database. Once you do this, Gmail will access the contacts database when you type in the recipient line.

http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...room-sync.html

http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...tml#nativesync
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...I notice that now the book icon to continue reading doesn't work. Since it worked with Launcher Pro, this seems to be particular to ADW Launcher.
I no longer have this issue since updating to 1.1.0. My "continue reading" icon works using ADW.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
windycitygal
windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the tips Jasoraso! It's good to hear I'm not the only one having this problem with Gmail.

I also switched to Zeam. While looking at the Android Market on my laptop the screen captures made it seem like it was phone-centric. Glad to see there are no phone icons on the version I dl for my NC.

I downloaded Button Savior and dumped Softkeys. I like Button Savior, but it was quite painful when I kept getting that message about USB blah blah blah. I had to reboot the NC entirely and it fixed itself.

And I used Dropbox to successfully install Angry Birds! Hooray!!
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
windycitygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I use DejaOffice for a number of tasks, including populating/syncing the native Android contacts database. Once you do this, Gmail will access the contacts database when you type in the recipient line.

http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...room-sync.html

http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...tml#nativesync
I may give that a try...

I feel like I've been blessed getting a response from SCION! You are a goddess! Thanks for all the great tips and comments you've posted here. I'm learning a lot from them.