Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #31
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Unfortunately, you can't buy books from Amazon and place them on the Nook directly without stripping, except in the rare cases where a book is DRM-free (if the Product Details say "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited", then you can get it and convert it without hassle; otherwise, it's only easily readable on a Kindle or Kindle app).

Amazon and the other brands use incompatible file formats; Kindle accepts Mobi and Topaz and non-DRM PDF, Nook uses ePub, PDF (with or without DRM), and eReader.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #32
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
one day we can dream when everyone will sell DRM Free ePub and then the world will end

congratulations and stop by the nook subforum here, lost of great advice, tips and troubleshooting if need be, there.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvillanueva5 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums and I have done some searching, but I really need some help.

I am an avid reader. More like I devour books >.<. Give me a good book and I'll finish it in one sitting and start on another. I actually went through 2 books in one day and started a third before my eyes finally gave out.

With that being said, I don't get out to the book stores very often and have been looking forward to purchasing an eBook Reader. Now I just need some opinions from to the community on which to pick as the ones I'm deciding on are pretty similar. I want the best bang for the buck and something that will last me a while.

My choices are the Kindle and Nook. I'm really not interested in the super expensive versions of either, so I was deciding on the the $139 - $149 version for the following:

Kindle: I have a router at home and free wifi at work so wi-fi is not an issue. I will have my books downloaded easily, so the 3G is just an added expense that I really don't want or have a use for.

Nook: I honestly could care less for the color option. I plan on only reading books, not magazines or anything else that color would be necessary.

I've looked up several authors and series I would be purchasing and both Amazon and BN book stores carry them for the exact same price. They both seem to use the e-ink technology. However, I don't know what the epub technology is...and I know that Kindle does not support that.

I realize that neither are backlit, which is good as LCD tend to drain power and are harder on the eyes, however, I do like to read in bed, so is there technology or assessories that can be purchased?

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on either of these two great products. I have been able to touch and feel the Nook at the local BN store, but with Kindle being from Amazon, am unable to do so for that product.
1st! get rid of the long and refried argument about ePub vs MOBI or AZW!

You are about to read a lot of people saying "go for ePub" others "go for MOBI" but the true is that regardless you buy a Nook or a Kindle, you will be tied up to that specific format; B&N Nook is encrypted so the argument that ePub is better is kind of biased... Amazon sells an encrypted version of MOBI ... at the end, it's the same stuff. You can buy books from other stores different than Amazon (yes you can, this is for people who keep saying not possible) and same for B&N. The only advantage about ePub is that you can lend from some public libraries but again, that depends of your own preference; some people never visit a public library at all or cannot find suitable titles for they need.

Ok, having said that ... my advice to you, from someone who has own both readers is, check both online bookstores. Write down a list of 20 books you like: 10 you have and 10 you would like to buy. See how many you find on each store (B&N vs Amazon) and then, compare prices. Depending of your taste, you will find that your books are cheaper or always available on B&N or, the opposite. Please do that regardless of the device and once you have establish that .... start to analyze the e-reader

Nook Pros
-You can read books for free for about 1 hr if you are in store.
-You can swap pages with your fingers, like with a pbook, if you use the touchscreen (some people see this as a nice feature)
-Replaceable battery
-Expandable storage via SD card
-Color touchscreen (this can be a disadvantage too, see below) which show book covers and allows you to use menus

Nook Cons
-Heavier thank Kindle 3
-Missing landscape feature
-Old eink screen
-Slow page turn when compare to Kindle 3, but has much, much better than was before
-Color touchscreen can be sluggish and unresponsive
-8 days battery life (if lucky) if you read a lot, maybe 5 (talking by experience)
-Cannot expand embedded pictures
-No built in PDF support

Kindle 3 Pros
-Really light
-Up to 4 weeks battery life. If you read a lot, about 2 or 3, still amazing
-Crisp and clear eink screen thanks to most recent pearl technology
-Landscape technology
-Ability to expand or enlarge images
-Built-in PDF support
-Fast turn page
-"Read me" feature (the reader reads for you, like a human)

Kindle Cons
-You can't read books for free, like with B&N but download samples
-Not ePub support (but this is arguable and depends of user's preference, see my comment at the beginning of the post)
-No expandable memory
-No replaceable battery

Last edited by jocampo; 12-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
ePub technology in it's most layman analogies, is the mp3 format for ereaders. The nook supports it the kindle does not

now what does this all mean? It means you can shop around at various ebook stores and ebook clubs since basically all of the them sell books in the ePub format. For example my wife is a member of the kobo ebook store and she has been getting 30% coupons pratically all this month so by her owning the Nook she is able to shop at Kobo and take advantage of it's promotions. You can not with the Kindle.
Good luck.

Here we go again! People have explained this here thousand of times! Why Nook fans keep insisting on the same?

The format means nothing! I had a Nook and sold it, why? because B&N, public libraries, Kobo bookstores, did not have my IT books, only Amazon. You must choose an ereader base on the available books. Even though, you buy a book on B&N which format is ePub, what are you gonna do? You can't read it anywhere but the Nook because is DRM protected.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Come on Prof. everyone knows Mobi is a joke nowaday. Who actually is selling books with mobi? certainly nowhere NEAR the level of availbility and wide selections of books available for ePub .

mobi= VHS
ePub = DVD/Blu ray
This analogy has no technical support. VHS was not an electronic format, but a physical one. MOBI remains more than fresh and up to date thanks to Amazon bookstore. Amazon is the biggest online retailer in USA, so big that B&N is having problems competing against Amazon, because the prices and wider book selection.

Quote:
Now after the latest update to the nook v1.5, they made the text bolder, it's really on the same page as the Pearl Screen, if the Pearl Screen is better it's not that noticable really, it really isn't . The nooks screen def. holds it own against the Pearl Ink.
This is not correct!

Nook 1.5 firmware improved the boldness but it is never as crisp and clear when comparing side by side with Kindle 3. I know exactly what I'm saying because I own and had both of them. Nook does not use Pearl Ink technology, Kindle 3 is much better and has much better contrast.
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #36
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You two are always going at it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You two are always going at it.
Well, it is about giving right advices, so people can decide and choose by themselves. Don't you agree?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well, it is about giving right advices, so people can decide and choose by themselves. Don't you agree?
I agree, but the OP is probably more confused now.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Actually the OP bought a Nook
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #40
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Actually the OP bought a Nook
Regardless

It is good to clarify and show pros and cons so people who read the whole post can actually compare and decide.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Regardless

It is good to clarify and show pros and cons so people who read the whole post can actually compare and decide.
Your rant scared him/her away from the Kindle.

I hope you know I'm joking with you.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Actually it is getting kind of old. I really wish that folks who advocate for their device would decrease the hyperbole and just post honestly what they like and don't like. The back and forth is old news to those who know about e-readers and probably confuses the hell out of a new poster.

We all tend to go a bit overboard from time to time but this is just getting silly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #43
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Congrats on the Nook! I am sure you will love it. The most important thing is that you have an ereader now so you can start building your library and start reading!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #44
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Here we go again! People have explained this here thousand of times! Why Nook fans keep insisting on the same?

The format means nothing! I had a Nook and sold it, why? because B&N, public libraries, Kobo bookstores, did not have my IT books, only Amazon. You must choose an ereader base on the available books. Even though, you buy a book on B&N which format is ePub, what are you gonna do? You can't read it anywhere but the Nook because is DRM protected.
your arguement makes no sense. and you have to stop thinking that everyone has your taste or interest. the advantage of supporting epub isnt the abiility for buying books on your devices platform bookstore but the ability to shop outside the walled garden. Beside the one bookstore that sells mobi you are stuck in the walled garden of Amazon.

that is fact.

again as typicaly kindle owners who over compensate and divert. Yes you can shop around that is what ePub does for you whether you have a Sony, Kobo, Nook Sorry you can't do that on the Kindle.

Last edited by boswd; 12-21-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #45
boswd
Banned

Quote:
This analogy has no technical support. VHS was not an electronic format, but a physical one. MOBI remains more than fresh and up to date thanks to Amazon bookstore. Amazon is the biggest online retailer in USA, so big that B&N is having problems competing against Amazon, because the prices and wider book selection.

This is not correct!

Nook 1.5 firmware improved the boldness but it is never as crisp and clear when comparing side by side with Kindle 3. I know exactly what I'm saying because I own and had both of them. Nook does not use Pearl Ink technology, Kindle 3 is much better and has much better contrast.

1. No mainstream ebookstore uses mobi except maybe fictionwise and that I'm not sure anymore. Face it mobi has been replaced by ePub as the go to format for the ebook industry the sooner you Kindle fans accept facts the sooner you can channel your overcompensation and defensiviness towards Amazon and convince them to be able to accept the format.

2. Yes it is correct. Text is bolder and is on par with peal ink, I'm sorry but Pearl ink was never the second coming in the first place.. I put them up side by side, trust me I'm not celebrating the birth of Peal Ink this coming Saturday like you kindle fans are.

Last edited by boswd; 12-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.