Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Ipad with wi-fi on sale through Apple store

Posted today were Ipads on sale through the Apple Store . These are refurbished models but listed @$429 for 16gb model up to $779 for 64gb wi-fi + 3G. The two wi-fi models are listed as Special Limited Time Price.
I wonder if they are clearing out inventory in anticipation of iPad2 coming out early next year?

Worth considering paying $599 for the 64GB wi-fi unit over the $579 for the 16GB wi-fi + 3G unit. What do you think? Is this a good deal? Do you absolutely need 3G coverage? Same one year warranty as a brand new unit.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 12-09-2010 at 06:17 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
For me, wifi is all I need. The only advantage of 3g would be to be able to surf spontaneously whereever and whenever, but since the device is to big for me to carry around nonchalantly, that would do me no good. I want one to read on, surf on, watch movies, and play games. That's it. So, 3g would not help me at all since I would only be doing that at home or in the coffee shop or at hotel when traveling...and ALL those places have wifi. I would never just be standing in line at the grocery store and think, gee, I think I will whip out my ipad and surf. Never. As a matter of fact I cannot think of any place where I would actually use it that does not have wifi. Even my oil change place now has it. So wifi and the money savings for me.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I wouldn't buy any tablet without 3G. I don't wanna buy books, check e-mail, etc., on a public wi-fi network. I also value GPS.

With GPS and 3G, I've traveled cross-country and around the world with instant online access nearly everywhere I've gone.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I wouldn't buy any tablet without 3G. I don't wanna buy books, check e-mail, etc., on a public wi-fi network. I also value GPS.

With GPS and 3G, I've traveled cross-country and around the world with instant online access nearly everywhere I've gone.
The problem for me was the need for another contract I couldn't afford. I went with the wifi model, I'll run my mobile as an access point when I need to connect out and about since I already pay for data on that.

I would have liked the gps but it was either that or more storage so I went with more storage.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
For me, wifi is all I need. The only advantage of 3g would be to be able to surf spontaneously whereever and whenever, but since the device is to big for me to carry around nonchalantly, that would do me no good. I want one to read on, surf on, watch movies, and play games. That's it. So, 3g would not help me at all since I would only be doing that at home or in the coffee shop or at hotel when traveling...and ALL those places have wifi. place now has it.
I have a 16G wifi only iPad and it works fine for me as I, like Mrgauth, do most of my surfing at home. Ad I have plenty of books loaded I can use my iPad when traveling for reading and playing the few games I've loaded. But, for the frequent traveller having the 3G option may be important. We have a fiend who travels quite a bit and she indicates many of the airports are now charging for the wifi connection as are many high end hotels. This can be inconvenient for the business traveller in a way that isn;t a problem for the casual traveller. I can always take the time to go to the local coffee shop and do a quick download of current email that the time constrained business person can't do. Consider your needs, then decide. Good luck.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
The problem for me was the need for another contract I couldn't afford. I went with the wifi model, I'll run my mobile as an access point when I need to connect out and about since I already pay for data on that.

I would have liked the gps but it was either that or more storage so I went with more storage.
Not knocking your choice, but I think it'd be helpful for newbies to know that you don't need to sign a contract even with the 3G model.

Depending on how you buy your iPad (with a carrier subsidy or not), you can opt to pay for the hardware without a contract, then sign up for 3G per month, depending on your need. For example, you could buy a 3G model and sign up for 3G only during the months when you're doing a bunch of traveling, etc. The rest of the year, you could just go with wi-fi and leave your 3G inactive, because the 3G models come with wi-fi. (Of course, check your country for prices and such, because they vary.)

I've been abroad for months, and I'm on a month-to-month 3G service without a contract.

Of course, 3G hardware costs more upfront, but it might be worth considering even for those who don't want a contract.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 12-10-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I have a 32 GB wifi only and absolutely love it. I haven't found a need for 3G yet.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Yep good information Maggie.

Sorry I should have been clearer, I wasn't impressed with the UK pay-as-you-go plans, the only ones which seemed to offer good data allowances were contracts which were quite expensive. UK data plans are pretty poor generally I've found.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Refurbished... I think they are the ones retured by unsatisfied customers, maybe barely used. What would Apple store do with them anyway? I guess most sellers in EU would sell it as new one with regular price, at least that is my unfortunate experience with buying online...
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote