Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Any fixes or firmware updates for font size issue?

Howdy all

I've been giving the new 650 a solid thrashing for a few weeks and am really loving it. Pretty much the only gripe I have with it (shared by a lot of others I imagine) is the issue of poor font size spacing, where "S" is a bit too small and "M" is way way too big.

Does anyone know if Sony plan to address this issue with a firmware update? Or if they in fact are ever planning an update?

I know I could fix it by fiddling CSS file, but with several hundred books that's going to be a pain in the bum.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
If you use Calibre to convert, you can set it to automatically change the CSS during the conversion process. Set it up once and never look at it again.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Does anyone know if Sony plan to address this issue with a firmware update? Or if they in fact are ever planning an update?
It's best not to anticipate updates from Sony. Find a workaround.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Thanks for that! Pretty much the answers I expected. OK, off to fire up calibre...
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It is a common complaint that there isn't a font size between small and medium. I also agree! For books that have DRM, you can fake an intermediate font size by using the margin crop in Page Mode. It doesn't work on all books but sometimes it helps.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Thelma55
Thelma55 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can you explain how to automatically change the CSS in Calibre?
Thelma55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Welcome, Thelma ... and thanks! I would be interested in that information myself.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
It is very simple. If you are leaving the actual fonts alone, when you go to convert your non-drm books to ePub, or ePub to ePub, simply use the font size input and change it to say a base of 11.5. Do the conversion, sync your reader, and view your results. You will find that different fonts look better set at different base sizes, according to your preference. Test the different base inputs from, say 9 to 14 and see what gives you the best looking Small and Medium and Large font sizes on your reader. Kovid's amazing Calibre is very fast and very fun to use. There are many threads on how to change the actual fonts using CSS, and they all look better set at different sizes.

Have fun.

I want to be your LatexSalesMan!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote