Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDA247 reviews the E Ink-based MotoFone F3

Remember the budget phone with an E Ink display? Well, Shaun McGill of PDA247 has picked up one, and done an excellent review that's worth looking at even if just for the picture of the popcorn box"!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
seems cool to have eink in a phone, but why the huge charakters?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Is the battery life really any better on this than on competitors?
I'm looking for a phone that has long battery life, specially on standby, as I don't use my mobile too often.
Quoted standby time is up to 300 hours. Looking at the spec. for other mobiles, this doesn't seem too different from normal. Talking time is maybe an hour more on average.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I guess huge characters are part of why the phone is cheap - a few big segments is cheaper to make than dense matrices of dots. Plus it is easy to read and fits the "simple and basic" phone style.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
griffbrad
griffbrad began at the beginning.

Anyone know when the Motofone F3c (The CDMA version) is supposed to come out? I'd love to use this phone as I need better battery life and have no use whatsoever for all the "features" on my RAZR. Unfortunately, I'm on Sprint.
griffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Eink means no backlight, big characters would help in dim lighted situations.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
pda247
pda247 began at the beginning.

This was added to the 247 forum following the review-

Nice review but you missed some of the major highlights of this phone!

1. Audio quality - it also includes a loudspeaking function which is the clearest I have heard on any phone - some costing 50 times as much!

2. Battery life - the efficient display (it only uses energy when changing) means the battery is good for 3-4 days

3. Display is always on and can be seen at a glance in normal light - so no pressing buttons to see what time it is or if you have a message etc.

4. Display and button backlight is very subtle at night so unlike most phones it doesn't light up like a Christmas tree saying "mug me".

5. It's a tough cookie and can survive being dropped

6. The interface is quirky, but dead simple when you get used to it (only 6 icons).

6. You can get it even cheaper through Quidco (£10 cashback)

All of which makes it the ideal stand-by or "out on the town" phone!

P.S. I use a cheap USB SIM reader and PC software to transfer the numbers from my main phone.
pda247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Maybe i'll get one of these as a "spare" phone...I've still got some unused simcards lying around...so I could actually use it...^^

If I do then I'll write a little something for our site here. I'm not sure how much time i'll have though, so I might not do this at all..it's just a maybe...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Quote:
Maybe i'll get one of these as a "spare" phone...I've still got some unused simcards lying around...so I could actually use it...^^

If I do then I'll write a little something for our site here. I'm not sure how much time i'll have though, so I might not do this at all..it's just a maybe...^^
Good idea I actually own a motofone f3 and that's precisely the way I use it.
Anyway the display is funtastic and the audio above average and the price (29 euros) very cheap.In two words highly recommended as a second phone.
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
If anyone's interested in some live photos, i've put some up a week or two ago over here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8#postcount=18

Last edited by orcinus; 05-01-2007 at 07:40 AM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote