Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Durability of the Lighted Cover

How breakable is the light in the lighted cover and how much protection do you think it provides for the 650? I have a 500 and every once in awhile, I'll end up dropping it over the side of the bed. It'll either hit the floor or the wall and then the floor. I would likely fold the cover back if it's possible on the 650 just like I do for the 500.

Thanks!
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Well, I'd let you know my experience, except that I still don't have my PRS650. Here I sit after close to a month with the lighted cover and no reader to put in it.

The non-shippment of the reader is especially irksome, considering that Border's is now giving free covers and even Sony is giving free gift cards. I order early on and not only do I still not have a reader, but I get screwed out of all the promotions.

As of today, the response from Sony is that they are "investigating" and will get back within 48 hours. I hope that they do a lot more than just investigate the matter.

Unhappy consumer -- Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Can't you cancel your order?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I have no idea why my edit appeared below.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 10-21-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
How breakable is the light in the lighted cover and how much protection do you think it provides for the 650? I have a 500 and every once in awhile, I'll end up dropping it over the side of the bed. It'll either hit the floor or the wall and then the floor. I would likely fold the cover back if it's possible on the 650 just like I do for the 500.

Thanks!
I haven't had any major mishaps with my 650 with the lighted cover, but it certainly seems (as a cover) as solid as the 505 cover. The light also seems well protected when not in use.

If you will put $300 in an escrow account I will drop it from 5 feet on a linoleum floor and video the result.

Seriously, it all appears solid to me.

EDIT:and the cover folds back nicely.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

EDIT:and the cover folds back nicely.
I'm thinking of getting the 650 with lighted cover. I currently have 505 with cover. I always read by folding the front cover all the way back so it is flush with the back cover. Can I do this with the lighted cover on the 650?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm thinking of getting the 650 with lighted cover. I currently have 505 with cover. I always read by folding the front cover all the way back so it is flush with the back cover. Can I do this with the lighted cover on the 650?

Thanks.
Yes, you definitely can, and it works very well.
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote