Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #16426
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. I'm going to shed a tear when the book ends, it's ridiculous how bleeping much I love this trilogy.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #16427
kindlefire_lover
kindlefire_lover began at the beginning.

Device: KindleFire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I'm reading Failure Is Not an Option

The thrilling story of NASA's Mission Control teams that guided the "Apollo" spacecraft through successful lunar landings is recounted by "Apollo 13" flight director Gene Kranz. Published on the 30th anniversary of the "Apollo 13" mission.
That sounds like a good book. I am going to check it out. Thanks for the recommendations.
kindlefire_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #16428
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt), Lee Child & George R.R. Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
An interesting geographic coincidence concerning my recent reading choices is that Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion, Disney at Dawn and One Deadly Sister all took place in Florida and The General's Daughter took place in Georgia!

Disney at Dawn was an enjoyable YA adventure and mystery tale taking place at the Disney World resort complex. This is the second book in the series Kingdom Keepers that I have read. I'll eventually read the entire series.

After reading One Deadly Sister, I went to Smashwords and picked up the balance of the Sandy Reid Mysteries series (3 more books) and am now starting to read Sandy Reid Mysteries #2, The Price of Candy by Rod Hoisington as well as The Quest of the Missing Map (Nancy Drew #19) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt).
Yesterday I finished reading One Deadly Sister and realized that I'd gotten so engrossed in it I'd forgotten to even start reading The Quest of the Missing Map. So I got started on it and during a reading break, which is when I usually switch to the 'other' book I'm reading, I realized I had yet to select an 'other' book. So since every time I turn on the TV I see an ad for HBO's Game of Thrones and I've had a copy of A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin for quite a while now, I figured I'd give it a whirl and try reading it. Well, after reading the first 50 pages I decided to abandon it to my 'to be read later maybe shelf'. There were just too many characters to keep straight and they all didn't seem to be doing anything very interesting. So I chose another 'other' book and began reading Die Trying (Jack Reacher #2) by Lee Child. Ahh...much better.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #16429
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I commiserate then. We did have some more challenging books in general English and Shakespeare (of course), but mainly it was restricted to very readable and enjoyable books like Graham Greene, Harper Lee, William Golding, John Knowles etc.. with a smattering of newer fiction like A Kestral for a Knave and even Audacity to Believe.

We did have Thomas Hardy though and that was an utter bore.
In high school there was one class that read The Lord of the Rings. It was a more advanced class. I did not partake in it. But I had already read The books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #16430
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still reading Great North Road but I've taken a break to continue with Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb. It is the 3rd book in the Farseer Trilogy.

I'm about 400 pages to the end of both. I am going to finish he chapter and go back to Great North Road.
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #16431
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I'm about one-third through Great North Road, based on your recommendation in the Book Club thread, Jon. I'm enjoying it very much. Thanks for the suggestion!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #16432
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm reading Royal Assassin, great so far.
I'm reading this as well, and I'll proceed to the 3rd book immediately after I'm done. It has me hooked!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #16433
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'm reading this as well, and I'll proceed to the 3rd book immediately after I'm done. It has me hooked!
I am planning on reading the third book as soon as I'm done as well, this is the best fantasy series I've read in a long time. There is a follow up series that seems to be based on the Fool, I'm looking forward giving that a go, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #16434
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I'm about one-third through Great North Road, based on your recommendation in the Book Club thread, Jon. I'm enjoying it very much. Thanks for the suggestion!
Happy to help. I'm almost 300 pages to go and it's getting even more interesting. I really want to know who did what.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #16435
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am planning on reading the third book as soon as I'm done as well, this is the best fantasy series I've read in a long time. There is a follow up series that seems to be based on the Fool, I'm looking forward giving that a go, too.
Reading order...

Farseer
1. Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
2. Royal Assassin (1996)
3. Assassin's Quest (1997)
Words Like Coins (2012)

Liveship Traders
1. Ship of Magic (1998)
2. The Mad Ship (1999)
3. Ship of Destiny (2000)

Tawny Man
1. Fool's Errand (2001)
2. The Golden Fool (2002)
3. Fool's Fate (2003)

Rain Wild Chronicles
1. The Dragon Keeper (2009)
2. Dragon Haven (2010)
3. City of Dragons (2012)
4. Blood of Dragons (2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #16436
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I have about 400 pages left of Assassin's Quest. Very good so far.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #16437
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Farseer
1. Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
2. Royal Assassin (1996)
3. Assassin's Quest (1997)
Words Like Coins (2012)
I have this on my TBR list. This a trilogy so is Words Like Coins a short story or something?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #16438
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Reading two books on my Kindles right now:
First, Phryne Fisher #13, The Castlemain Murders, by Kerry Greenwood. The Phryne Fisher books are Australian mysteries set in 1928 in Melbourne, Australia. They have wonderful characters, a delightfully witty style, and are just plain well written. Highly recommended.

Second, Chicks Ahoy, edited by Esther Friesner. I've had this on my TBR for a while, and when I looked at it last night, and started reading the intro, I laughed out loud. A good sign, I think I'll give it a go.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #16439
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I finished The Great Gatsby a couple of days ago. It was assigned reading years ago, and at the time I also lacked the reading sophistication to understand it. For example: early on in the book the author mentions an optician's yard-high glasses. I didn't grasp then that it was an oblique method of describing a prominent billboard. It also didn't further my understanding of the novel that I was surreptitiously reading Dick Francis mysteries in class.

Second time around (or should I say first?) I can see why this novel is called a classic. Its plot is somewhat predictable but it has many pleasing turns of phrase and a lingering elegiac tone.

I've just started Susanna Kearsley's Rose Garden.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #16440
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Moonsinger's Quest by Andre Norton. An omnibus follow-up to Moonsinger, which Baen published in 2008 or so.
The first half was OK, but the second story dragged a bit. I just couldn't credit elves (& other 'supernaturals') in space. Perhaps it's me, but I couldn't keep awake reading this in bed.

Next up: Grantville Gazette #47 edited by Paula Goodlett.
Much more to my taste so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote