Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
purcelljf
Enthusiast
purcelljf began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Does splitting EPUB among more HTML files improve Performance?

hi, I have a 8gb IPOD that I use to read EPUBs that I create myself, many with images.

My question is does splitting the Ebook into more HTML files result in better performance in terms of opening the ebook faster and turning pages etc?

Thanks
purcelljf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
With Adobe Digital Editions, each HTML file is only processed when it is opened for reading. So there is a (hopefully short) pause before each internal file. This does mean that there is less of a pause when initially opening the ebook (I have the impression that it does some initial processing of the entire ebook but not much). This is probably the case with most other ePub Readers.

One exception is FBReader which always processes the entire ebook when it is opened. This gives a significant wait at the start, but no delays from then on. On balance, I think the ADE approach is better.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
purcelljf
Enthusiast
purcelljf began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to begin splitting them up.

I recently starting creating some ebooks with Atlantis Word Processor and it doesn't break up the files except in certain situations unless you specify a page break. I have noticed in i-Books on my IPOD that it seemed to be slower to open and turn pages then in the past. I used to always create them in SIGIL where I would routinely break the files up by chapter.

I must say that it seems slower opening a book in i-Books than in Stanza, although I haven't tested it enough to say for sure.
purcelljf is offline   Reply With Quote