Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
New Device: Bookeen Opus

According to the presentation Laurent Picard made at Digital Book 2009 last week, Bookeen will launch a new device named Opus. Here are the details:

Lightest device: 5.3 oz
▪  Highest def.: 200 dpi (does this mean a 5" screen?)
▪  Storage capacity: 1GB
▪  Fits in a pocket
▪  One handed operable
▪  Adobe ePub/PDF
▪  12 different font sizes
▪  Customizable layout
▪  Folder management
▪  Motion sensor

Does anyone have more information on this?

via Teleread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opus.JPG
Views:	1164
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	29234  

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-18-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: edited to move to front page
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
According to Teleread Bookeen will launch a new device named Opus:

Does anyone have more details on this?

pppffftttt.....they can't even be bothered to update their blogs with information like this. If this is not "news" then why do they bother with their blog ? .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Exactly. I saw it earlier today but thought I must have missed all threads about it here...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm trying to figure out why an ebook reader would have a motion sensor. So cats can use it?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm trying to figure out why an ebook reader would have a motion sensor. So cats can use it?
Changing orientation. Which is very annoyning when my phoe does it when I am laying on the side and tries to use it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I'm not convinced by the button in the middle of the bottom area (unless there are less obvious page turners at the edge.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is the Bookeen Reader with a 5" screen. I don't know if we knew it was called Opus, but early pictures released by PocketBook were actually mockups of the Bookeen device (Bookeen and PocketBook in possible legal dispute over 5" model). The "motion sensor" is probably to detect screen orientation and automatically switch the screen layout. The PocketBook device has this too. It allows one set of keys to work for left or right hands, although this would only apply to landscape mode with these keys.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-18-2009 at 01:11 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Its for zero gravity reading.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I'm not convinced by the button in the middle of the bottom area (unless there are less obvious page turners at the edge.
Look at the linked pdf file.
There are two long thin white buttons at the right side.
If the device has a motion sensor than it will possible to flip the device and have the buttons at the right side.

There are other interesting things in the pdf file.
Quote:
Expected sales in 2009: 50K (2008 x 3)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Changing orientation. Which is very annoyning when my phoe does it when I am laying on the side and tries to use it.
If the whole 'accelerometer' thing is the new thing that ALL ebook readers now HAVE to have, then I'm glad I bought mine already. I can't imagine anything more annoying than the page flipping everytime I move - yes, I'm a 'bed-reader' and proud of it. I'm sure most avid readers are, too.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The Kindle DX has it, and you can turn it off so it won't interfere with your 'bed-reading'.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If the whole 'accelerometer' thing is the new thing that ALL ebook readers now HAVE to have, then I'm glad I bought mine already.
On the Kindle DX it is possible to turn off the automatic screen flipping mode. I agree that all devices need an option to set the orientation manually.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
June ? that soon ? Mmm. Well, my Gen3 works like a charm for now. Maybe at the salon du livre next year

At fist i agree that the button in the middle wasn't shuc a godd idea. Then i grabed my Cybook and tried to hit an imaginary middle buton, should work fine if the opus is no bigger.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-18-2009 at 02:26 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looks nice. And yes, 200dpi means a 5" screen. (5" diagonal means screen is 3" by 4". 600x800 screen at 3"x4" is 200dpi.)

But having broken the screen once (& got it repaired), I'm not buying a new eInk reader until the screens no longer have a glass substrate. They're just too fragile, although I suppose the 5" will be less susceptible to breaking than the 6", like the 6" is to the 9".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
According to the presentation Laurent Picard made at Digital Book 2009 last week, Bookeen will launch a new device named Opus. Here are the details:

Lightest device: 5.3 oz
▪  Highest def.: 200 dpi (does this mean a 5" screen?)
▪  Storage capacity: 1GB
▪  Fits in a pocket
▪  One handed operable
▪  Adobe ePub/PDF
▪  12 different font sizes
▪  Customizable layout
▪  Folder management
▪  Motion sensor

Does anyone have more information on this?

via Teleread
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I'm pretty amused to see people who didn't have the device in hand and already complaining about something they didn't use with...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote