Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #196
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Oh, I won't read someone I clearly dislike. But when it's an author I like, but a work by them I dislike, it becomes tough.

I just find myself skimming parts of Copperfield, especially all the law clerk type business. It just seems to be Dickens commenting on aspects of society at that time, and it's too tedious for me.

But I will finish it...oh I will!

-HM
It's Dumb Dora who drives me crazy in David Copperfield.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #197
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's Dumb Dora who drives me crazy in David Copperfield.
Agreed. Not sure what David sees in her.

I'm on chapter 39.

-HM
Old 04-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #198
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I hadn't read any Dickens since college until a year or so ago, when I listened to the audiobook versions of a half dozen or so books in succession, including David Copperfield. I felt very virtuous finally reading Dickens again, which helped sustain me through all the hours. And I do love all the quirky characters. I'm hoping to return to Dickens again this summer, again with audiobooks.
I think audiobooks are a fabulous way to consume the Victorian novelists. I've listened to several so far this year as part of one of my annual challenges and I'm enjoying the heck out of them. Like you, I hadn't really read them since my salad days; now they're going to go into my permanent repertory.

Dora is awful. David Copperfield isn't among my favorite Dickens and Dickens isn't among my favorite Victorian novelists.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #199
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think audiobooks are a fabulous way to consume the Victorian novelists. I've listened to several so far this year as part of one of my annual challenges and I'm enjoying the heck out of them. Like you, I hadn't really read them since my salad days; now they're going to go into my permanent repertory.

Dora is awful. David Copperfield isn't among my favorite Dickens and Dickens isn't among my favorite Victorian novelists.
I listened to Wilkie Collins's Woman in White earlier this year--that was fabulous, and more fun than Dickens.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #200
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I listened to Wilkie Collins's Woman in White earlier this year--that was fabulous, and more fun than Dickens.
Who narrated it? I've got the version by Josephine Bailey and Simon Prebble in my Audible library. That's one I might get to this year. I've also got a copy of The Moonstone; that would be fun, too.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #201
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thought I would read more while on vacation , but didn't. For my challenge in April so far, I did read one Nonfiction\ historical fiction. Beneath a Starlit Sky, by Mark Sullivan. Also a fiction read, The River at Night, by Erica Ferencik. Both I thought were very good.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #202
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Who narrated it? I've got the version by Josephine Bailey and Simon Prebble in my Audible library. That's one I might get to this year. I've also got a copy of The Moonstone; that would be fun, too.
I had several versions but went with this one since the structure of the novel seemed perfect for a multicast version.

I want to listen to The Moonstone this year too. My hope is to read more classics this year, but so far I haven't done too well with that goal.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #203
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I usually try to get through about one Dickens a year. Librivox reader Mil Nicholson has helped with that immensely. She is a professional reader, but did a big spate of Dickens for Librivox. Highly recommend.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #204
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I usually try to get through about one Dickens a year. Librivox reader Mil Nicholson has helped with that immensely. She is a professional reader, but did a big spate of Dickens for Librivox. Highly recommend.
Thanks very much for the link. I see that she also recorded some of Trollope's Palliser novels.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #205
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I realized today that I have read books published in 101 different years since I started tracking in 2011. One of my on-going goals has been to read a book from every year since I was born and then moving backwards through the last 100 years. Only 1.5 books to go for the first part, I will finish this year, 24 for the 100 year goal.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #206
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I realized today that I have read books published in 101 different years since I started tracking in 2011. One of my on-going goals has been to read a book from every year since I was born and then moving backwards through the last 100 years. Only 1.5 books to go for the first part, I will finish this year, 24 for the 100 year goal.
I am madly curious about your 101 years list, but I realize it would reveal your age!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #207
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It provides a range, but not quite enough to get the actual year.

I considered just posting the scatter plot (attached below) and letting you try to figure out which years are missing from that but that would be cruel. And the first version of the column chart I uploaded had the dates cut off for some reason so instead of "1985" it just read "1...", all the way across.

I don't normally focus on this unless I am near a milestone so I don't have a list of what books I "chose" for each year, just the publication dates that I include for all books I read. I will read something from 1978 this year and check that off though. (Any suggestions for 1978? Looking at The Stand by Stephen King but I haven't been in an SK mood for a while.)

Spoiler:
Years I have read, including my current book which I didn't include in my total earlier (so 102 years):
1870, 1872, 1876, 1884, 1885, 1886, 1887, 1888, 1890, 1892, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1898, 1900, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1908, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1915, 1917, 1919, 1920, 1922, 1924, 1927, 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDHistogram.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	156370   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDScatter.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	156372  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #208
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

I don't normally focus on this unless I am near a milestone so I don't have a list of what books I "chose" for each year, just the publication dates that I include for all books I read. I will read something from 1978 this year and check that off though. (Any suggestions for 1978? Looking at The Stand by Stephen King but I haven't been in an SK mood for a while.)
If you like thrillers, I suspect Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle holds up well. I think it's his best. If you like YA, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is a lot of fun.

Last edited by issybird; 04-26-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Take out "The."
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #209
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
If you like thrillers, I suspect Ken Follett's The Eye of the Needle holds up well. I think it's his best. If you like YA, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is a lot of fun.
I'm surprised that you read a Ken Follett book. But I will retain your recommendation for myself.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #210
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here's a quirky time-travel book from 1978 that I read years ago: The Mirror, by Marlys Millhiser. And it's currently only $1.99 at Amazon.
Closed Thread