Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Spacing issues

I have an e pub converted from the output of an .indd I had to do some css changes in margin for main paragraphs and everything else looks fine except the spacing between graphics.

The original file was compiled from an .indd using the articles panel in some instances the order of the articles is different as one page my have header.jpg
text, ad.jpg etc.while anothe page has text, a .jpg another .jpg and text.

So inbetween these instances the spacing could be bigger, besides going and adding space by hitting the return key which produces blank paragraphs is there a better way as I thought css but I would have to add spacing for each element, correct?

???
Thx HI
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
... but I would have to add spacing for each element, correct?
Not necessarily

Try the following:

1. Go to your css styleseet.

2. Seek in the css file if there is an "img" tag and if it is styled (you'll see something like:

Code:
img {
   ...;
   ...;

}
where "...;" means any property).

3. If you found the "img" tag, then add at the end of it the following:

Code:
img {
   ...; /* old entry */
   ...; /* old entry */
   margin-top: 1em;  /* new entry */
   margin-bottom: 1em;  /* new entry */
   margin-left: 1em;  /* new entry */
   margin-right: 1em;  /* new entry */
}
4. If you DIDN'T find the img tag, then add in some place of your stylesheet, the following entry:

Code:
img {
   margin-top: 1em;
   margin-bottom: 1em;
   margin-left: 1em;
   margin-right: 1em;
}
Of course, instead of 1em you can try any others values at your will.

5. Save changes and see how the images are showed now.

Regards
Rubén

Last edited by RbnJrg; 07-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
yes, that is exactly what I did and it worked fine now everything is spaced according to the main div that holds the imgs

thx

HI
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Not necessarily

Try the following:

1. Go to your css styleseet.

2. Seek in the css file if there is an "img" tag and if it is styled (you'll see something like:

Code:
img {
   ...;
   ...;

}
where "...;" means any property).

3. If you found the "img" tag, then add at the end of it the following:

Code:
img {
   ...; /* old entry */
   ...; /* old entry */
   margin-top: 1em;  /* new entry */
   margin-bottom: 1em;  /* new entry */
   margin-left: 1em;  /* new entry */
   margin-right: 1em;  /* new entry */
}
4. If you DIDN'T find the img tag, then add in some place of your stylesheet, the following entry:

Code:
img {
   margin-top: 1em;
   margin-bottom: 1em;
   margin-left: 1em;
   margin-right: 1em;
}
Of course, instead of 1em you can try any others values at your will.

5. Save changes and see how the images are showed now.

Regards
Rubén
Code:
margin: 1em;
works (shortcut: when all values are the same)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
margin: 1em;
works (shortcut: when all values are the same)
Yes, I know the shorthand form of the margin property And also you can use the shorhand form even when all margins are different -i.e. margin: 1em 0 2em 0.5em-. But I wrote the properties separately because maybe the OP wouldn't want all margin equals (perhaps if images were left floated he would prefer margin-left: 0). By writing the properties of that way, I gave him the chance to change any of them without needing for him to know css (besides, of that way it easier to me than write -i.e. margin: 1em 0 2em 0.5em- and to explain it).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yes, I know the shorthand form of the margin property
I tend to prefer the longhand version of these kinds of things since it helps me remember the options and order better, but is there any performance impact from spelling them out?

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I tend to prefer the longhand version of these kinds of things since it helps me remember the options and order better, but is there any performance impact from spelling them out?

Paul
Not that I know.

Shorthand starts clockwise at 12:00
1 value = all
2 values = top-bottom, sides
4 (you better be able to guess this )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
4 (you better be able to guess this
Oh, sure ... leave me the hard ones

Quote:
Shorthand starts clockwise at 12:00
But this was something that I hadn't thought about / realized

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote