Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Is it possible to have Calibre transfer books to Aura without converting to kepub?

After having tried them both, I much prefer the extra text on the page of epub to the extra information of kepub.

Calibre insists on converting when I use it to transfer files. Is it possible to get it to stop doing that?

Thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
While we wait on a more knowledgeable poster, I would think that you could just
disable the plugin.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Disable Kobo extended plugin and restart calibre.

If you never want to change epub to kepub, just uninstall said plugin and restart.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do remember to re-enable the original Kobo driver as well!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the plugin do anything else that I will be missing if I disable it?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you set anything special in it, the same settings should be available in the standard Kobo plugin. Just take a look at what you have checked in the one you're disabling and use the same settings in the original Kobo plugin.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
kaufman

Thanks to the help from everyone here I was able to figure it out.

I went to the KoboTouchExtended 1.3.1 plugin in order to see what was selected. One thing that was checked was "Enable Extended Features".

I tried unchecking that and it no longer does the kepub conversion.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're not using the conversion, you don't need the kobo extended plugin. You can keep using it if you want, but it just means that you are relying on one person to keep the plugin up-to-date for a feature you don't use. The normal plugin is much more mainstream....

Edit: i was wrong, if it's unchecked it isn't relying on joel to keep it up to date....but still rather pointless to keep enabled...

Last edited by Uschiekid; 05-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
After having tried them both, I much prefer the extra text on the page of epub to the extra information of kepub.

Calibre insists on converting when I use it to transfer files. Is it possible to get it to stop doing that?

Thanks.
Absolutely! As has been pointed out (and as you've discovered) you can either un-check the "Enable Extended Features" box (which disables all extra features, not just the kepub-ification) or you can disable/remove the KoboTouchExtended plugin and enable the KOBOTOUCH plugin.

Quote:
Does the plugin do anything else that I will be missing if I disable it?
That depends on what options you had enabled. The full set of things that it could do are:
  • Delete files not in the ePub manifest (or add them to the manifest)
  • Refuse to upload DRM-encumbered files
  • Continue uploading books if one book in a group fails
  • Add hyphenation
  • Force the content language to be the language you set in the calibre metadata
  • Smarten punctuation
  • Clean the content file HTML code

Quote:
Thanks to the help from everyone here I was able to figure it out.

I went to the KoboTouchExtended 1.3.1 plugin in order to see what was selected. One thing that was checked was "Enable Extended Features".

I tried unchecking that and it no longer does the kepub conversion.
As pointed out, if you do this there's no point in leaving this driver enabled or even installed. It's not as bad as Uschiekid thinks (but I understand where the idea comes from) - I don't copy the current KOBOTOUCH driver, I extend it. So if you don't enable extended features, I simply pass all the books over to davidfor's main driver. When extended features are enabled, I modify the content of the books and then pass the modified books over to the main driver. For the best experience, I would recommend disabling or removing KoboTouchExtended if you aren't using the extended features.

If you want to use kepub conversion on another device but not on the Aura, that's also possible. Click the arrow beside the "Device" toolbar button and choose "Configure This Device". You'll get an options dialog that looks like the plugin options but applies strictly to the device that's currently plugged in.

Happy reading!
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
If you want to use kepub conversion on another device but not on the Aura, that's also possible. Click the arrow beside the "Device" toolbar button and choose "Configure This Device". You'll get an options dialog that looks like the plugin options but applies strictly to the device that's currently plugged in.
Unfortunately, that isn't right. Even though the options are opened against the device, there is only one set of options stored for all devices of the same type.

And there is one thing your driver does even if the option is not checked: setting the image id for any books that don't have it already. It's a good idea and I might steal it. If I do, it will be done so it only affects books in the current calibre library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
It's not as bad as Uschiekid thinks (but I understand where the idea comes from)
oops sorry!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
kaufman

Quote:
Absolutely! As has been pointed out (and as you've discovered) you can either un-check the "Enable Extended Features" box (which disables all extra features, not just the kepub-ification) or you can disable/remove the KoboTouchExtended plugin and enable the KOBOTOUCH plugin.
Is there any way to disable kepub-ification without loosing all the other features? Or are the two intertwined?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Is there any way to disable kepub-ification without loosing all the other features? Or are the two intertwined?

Thanks.
They are intertwined.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
They are intertwined.
Ok, is there any way to have a kepub without the extra large margin at the top of the screen?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Which other features do you want? There is a plugin to do the hyphenation. And you can do the "Smarten punctuation" by a conversion or the Modify ePub plugin. Modify ePub will also remove unmanifested files. The other options are related to the kepub-ification and are not needed when not doing that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote