Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Lotek
Banned
Lotek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Buying my first e-book reader.

- Must be compatible with OS X and Calibre
- 5 or 6 inch screen
- 4 weeks battery life, minimum
- Sync 'side-loaded' e-books via USB or Wi-Fi, no forced requirements like the manufacturer's software or app
- No ads or forced content
- English and Swedish language support

Edit: I'm leaning towards the Kobo Mini because I like the small form factor.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Lotek; 01-02-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
- Must be compatible with OS X and Calibre
- 5 or 6 inch screen
- 4 weeks battery life, minimum
- Sync 'side-loaded' e-books via USB or Wi-Fi, no forced requirements like the manufacturer's software or app
- No ads or forced content
- English and Swedish language support

Edit: I'm leaning towards the Kobo Mini because I like the small form factor.

Any suggestions?
When the manufacturers claim "4 weeks battery life" they mean 4 weeks if reading only 30 minutes per day. But how many would bother to buy an e-reader if they only read 30 minutes per day? In real life no e-reader will get anywhere close to 4 weeks battery life.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
When the manufacturers claim "4 weeks battery life" they mean 4 weeks if reading only 30 minutes per day. But how many would bother to buy an e-reader if they only read 30 minutes per day? In real life no e-reader will get anywhere close to 4 weeks battery life.
This is true. My Sony battery probably lasts about 2 weeks. Of course longer if you don't turn the device on, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

Have you looked at Pocketbook readers? I think you can add a Swedish language dictionary yourself if it doesn't come with one.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Don't you have to have Adobe installed on your pc to side-load books with DRM onto the Kobo?

A Kindle would work, if you pay extra to not have the ads.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I don't know about Swedish but the Kobo seems to spec otherwise.

And as said, battery life is really a function of how much you use it. This 'one month' marketing speak is meaningless: what they should claim are page turns / HOURS reading.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I don't know about Swedish but the Kobo seems to spec otherwise.

And as said, battery life is really a function of how much you use it. This 'one month' marketing speak is meaningless: what they should claim are page turns / HOURS reading.
Even hours of reading is not remotely universal - you might turn the page four times in the time it takes for me to read one, or vice versa.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I usually get around 3 weeks on a charge with my Kindle Keyboard. I keep wifi/3G off and read about an hour a day.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The battery life on all modern eInk devices is so good that it's a total non issue. Who cares if you have to recharge every two weeks or every three weeks? It's the last thing one should be selecting a device on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Not a Sony. Stock out of the box, you can't add dictionaries. As far as I can see, there are no Swedish dictionaries in the model sold in Sweden. http://www.sony.se/product/rd-reader...cpint=15044709
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
I have the Onyx Boox i62HD and I'm very happy with it. 6'' screen, no ads or forced content, I add the books via the USB port, and the firmware provided by the online store "ereader store" has several languages, including Swedish. It does not come with a Swedish dictionary, but you can add the dictionaries you want. I sent to it the books I have in calibre, too.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the batery: I've had my e-reader for 2 weeks, during this time I've used it a lot (several hours every day) and the batery is almost full, but I've had it connected to add new books, scientific papers... So I don't know how much it would last without connecting it.

Regards!
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote