Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sleepcover Release Date

Has there been any official word on this? I can't seem to find ANYTHING.

Chapters only lists them as coming soon (no date) and same with WHSmith...
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
DaMastah
DaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Glo
Bought an official leather one on 10/04 at a Fnac store in France.
DaMastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMastah View Post
Bought an official leather one on 10/04 at a Fnac store in France.
Lucky you!

I guess chapters is holding out on us, or kobo is holding out on them
Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I have looked all over here in London, Ontario and nobody has any clue. I bought a Kobo Touch cover and stuck a fridge magnet in the sleeve at the bottom and that is working for now but I would prefer something that had a tighter fit.

This is a big issue for me because I already had to swap my first Glo because the screen got scratched. My new one has a slight defect in the screen which causes a bright spot. Obviously these screens are a bit delicate and the light technology makes even the slightest scratch or imperfection in manufacturing become painfully obvious at night. This is apparently an issue with the Kindle and Nook frontlit models as well. So a case is a must.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Leather and plastic sleepcovers have indeed been available in FNAC french stores the very same day the Glo was released.
That would be October 3rd or 4th depending on membership.

Additional thought : I have mixed feelings about this cover.
While the touch is indeed smooth and inspires quality, the price is still a bit high regarding the extra functionality.
Auto sleep is nice, but provided it only takes a magnet, I don't really get the whole 45 euros pricing.
Besides, it adds a few inches all around the Glo, making it a bit less tiny than it ought to be.
Touch‘s portfolio was quite equivalent when it comes to the quality feel, while fitting more tightly around the corners, to my taste.
The Glo is now barely fitting in my handbag, plus it's a bit less comfortable to hold when lying on the back (even if it remains completely acceptable, but I do have unusually big hands, too (now that came out wrong...)).

These are nitpicks, arguably, but when you spend that kind of money on accessories, you're obviously expecting something perfect, or nearly so.

Last edited by SeigneurAo; 10-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Bizzare that the covers got shipped to Europe first. I thought you folks generally ended up being the last to get things. Kobo's supply chain is certainly full of kinks at the moment.

I am not sure about whether or not I will bother with the sleep cover when or if it ever makes it here. $50 Canadian is awful steep for a cover. I can't imagine paying that and getting one that makes it difficult to carry in my purse. Especially since the fridge magnet trick is working just fine for the sleep functionality.

I suspect I will eventually end up getting a tighter fitting case off ebay. I managed to get a really nice one for my wifi for about $10 with a built in wallet that has stood up to years of daily use. It doesn't sound like the $50 sleep cover will be five times the case.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
The cover for the Touch was already a pain for me (30€ last year). I wasn't reasonable enough not to buy the Glo (as my Touch is still fully usable) but I won't spend 35€ more on a cover (too much is too much). As for the sleep option, to be fully honest, I don't need it : either I let the Glo go to sleep for itself, either I pull the trigger. I'll wait till generic covers hit the market and then I'll buy one (if it's worth the price). For now, I have made a quilted padded patchwork case with a zip and keep it in my pouch.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
$50 Canadian is awful steep for a cover.
There's a $40 version of the sleepcover, and that's the one I plan to get.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
There's a $40 version of the sleepcover, and that's the one I plan to get.
Price wise its a money grab. Wait long enough the Aftermarket stuff will come out for a cheap price with the same quality
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Price wise its a money grab. Wait long enough the Aftermarket stuff will come out for a cheap price with the same quality
Given the fact that Kobo e-readers, Nooks, Kindles, etc, are sold at (or even below) cost, I don't begrudge them marking up the accessories. If it's a nice case design, that is.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
How does the sleep cover attach to the reader? Does it use ugly corner straps, or is it more sophisticated?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
How does the sleep cover attach to the reader? Does it use ugly corner straps, or is it more sophisticated?
I believe, could be wrong, but there are clips at the corners.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoo View Post
I believe, could be wrong, but there are clips at the corners.
That's right.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
trevormorse
Enthusiast

Interestingly the sleep covers on the chapters site have gone from "preorder" to "sold out" not sure if that's a good sign or bad... http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...ccessories%3a2
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
judyz
Enthusiast

I'm so glad that Sony, Kobo, Nook and Amazon are so Charitible as to offer us their devices without making any profits. Their shareholders must be really nice people. LOL. Margins might be a bit slim on the hardware but please don't be fooled. There is a lot of creative accounting going into those statements. For instance it depends on the number of financial years you spread the development costs over. There is a profit with every sale. There is no way the materials cost ads up to more than the MSRP on these devices.

The $40 case is made out of plain old fabric. For $10 more you get leather. After 6 months of daily use and carrying it in my purse I will be wishing I had spent the extra $10. Fabric just doesn't stand up to use like leather.

Kobo has made a huge mistake not getting the covers out with the hardware and overpricing them. If they cut $10 off the MSRP of both covers and had them sitting with the devices on the shelves two weeks ago they would have sold a ton of them. Even at a $30 price point for a fabric cover (and $40 for leather) cost per unit would be easily under $10 so they would be making good money.

As it stands the cases are still not in the stores and the GLO's out there that are being used without cases or with improperly fitting cases are going to end up with scratches that show oh so nicely on their light up displays.