Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
jemcgeough
jemcgeough began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch Wifi
Book Updates, calibre sync issue

Hello all,

I have two questions that I have been struggling with the past couple of weeks and can't find the answers to, so hopefully someone here has some insight!

1) So I have calibre and buy books from a number of online places, Amazon being one of them. I noticed the other day that about 5 of my Amazon books have updates available. How do I go about updating the books that I have on my ereader? I have to go through calibre, as I have a Kobo Touch but I can't see where to get the updated file, or anything. I am seriously at a loss, and any wisdom is appreciated.

2) Lately, everytime I sync my Kobo Touch to calibre (version 0.8.65 - I know it's not the latest, but I had issues with 0.9.0), the "status" of my books that I have already read go to "unread". This isn't a huge issue-just kind of annoying. I thought I'd throw it out there. (I know this question probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I thought I'd just put the two posts together)

Thoughts?
jemcgeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcgeough View Post
1) So I have calibre and buy books from a number of online places, Amazon being one of them. I noticed the other day that about 5 of my Amazon books have updates available. How do I go about updating the books that I have on my ereader? I have to go through calibre, as I have a Kobo Touch but I can't see where to get the updated file, or anything. I am seriously at a loss, and any wisdom is appreciated.
Download the books by whatever method you use and then update the books in the calibre library. The simplest way to do this is to select the book in the library and drag-and-drop the book on the description area of the calibre window. This will replace that format.

To get it to your Kobo Touch, I assume you are converting it to epub. If so, just do the conversion again to replace the epub version. Then send it over like you did the first time.

Sending the book over might have problems depending on the changes in the book and the firmware version on the Touch. If the changes are minor, spelling or styles, then it should copy over and be readable with no problems on all firmware except 2.0.0. FW 2.0.0 didn't like the epub being changed and usually deleted all traces of it when you replaced it like this. The other firmware versions would usually accept it.

But, there might be a problem when you read the book if the changes are bigger. If the structure of the epub file changes, when you open it on the Touch, it might not work. It can be as simple as the TOC no longer working or causing a restart of the Touch when you open the book. The fix is to delete it and copy it over again. Because of this, I suggest you write down where you are up to in the books before you update them.

Quote:
2) Lately, everytime I sync my Kobo Touch to calibre (version 0.8.65 - I know it's not the latest, but I had issues with 0.9.0), the "status" of my books that I have already read go to "unread". This isn't a huge issue-just kind of annoying. I thought I'd throw it out there. (I know this question probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I thought I'd just put the two posts together)
That means you have "Metadata management" set to "Automatic management". This is on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences. When this is automatic, the old driver looks in the tags column for specific tags. If a book has "Im_Reading", "Read" or a couple of other special tags, then it updates the status of the books these. If the book doesn't have the tags, the status is reset on the Touch. Changing to "Manual management" will stop this.

You should update to 0.9.1. This has a new driver for the Touch, Glo and Mini that handles this differently. There is a thread in the devices section discussing it. Plus some discussion in the Kobo area.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
jemcgeough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Download the books by whatever method you use and then update the books in the calibre library. The simplest way to do this is to select the book in the library and drag-and-drop the book on the description area of the calibre window. This will replace that format.

To get it to your Kobo Touch, I assume you are converting it to epub. If so, just do the conversion again to replace the epub version. Then send it over like you did the first time.

Sending the book over might have problems depending on the changes in the book and the firmware version on the Touch. If the changes are minor, spelling or styles, then it should copy over and be readable with no problems on all firmware except 2.0.0. FW 2.0.0 didn't like the epub being changed and usually deleted all traces of it when you replaced it like this. The other firmware versions would usually accept it.

But, there might be a problem when you read the book if the changes are bigger. If the structure of the epub file changes, when you open it on the Touch, it might not work. It can be as simple as the TOC no longer working or causing a restart of the Touch when you open the book. The fix is to delete it and copy it over again. Because of this, I suggest you write down where you are up to in the books before you update them.
First of all, thank you for the quick response! I should have been more specific in my question: My issue is when I send the new version of the books (going through the manage my kindle purchases on the website, and send it to kindle on my PC), it doesn't actually send me a new .AZW file, so I have nothing to drag and drop into calibre. And it's not updating the file on my computer as I sort by date modified, and nothing seems to be changing.

UPDATE: every once in a while it updates...I've just been doing a trial and error thing where I send the book like 10 times to my kindle for PC and wait for it to show up as an updated file in my documents!

Thanks again for all the help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That means you have "Metadata management" set to "Automatic management". This is on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences. When this is automatic, the old driver looks in the tags column for specific tags. If a book has "Im_Reading", "Read" or a couple of other special tags, then it updates the status of the books these. If the book doesn't have the tags, the status is reset on the Touch. Changing to "Manual management" will stop this.

You should update to 0.9.1. This has a new driver for the Touch, Glo and Mini that handles this differently. There is a thread in the devices section discussing it. Plus some discussion in the Kobo area.
Ahh! THANK YOU! It is fixed, and updated!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
First of all, thank you for the quick response! I should have been more specific in my question: My issue is when I send the new version of the books (going through the manage my kindle purchases on the website, and send it to kindle on my PC), it doesn't actually send me a new .AZW file, so I have nothing to drag and drop into calibre. And it's not updating the file on my computer as I sort by date modified, and nothing seems to be changing.

UPDATE: every once in a while it updates...I've just been doing a trial and error thing where I send the book like 10 times to my kindle for PC and wait for it to show up as an updated file in my documents!
Ah, it's the getting the updated book that's the issue. Sorry, I can't help you there.

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help!!

Ahh! THANK YOU! It is fixed, and updated!
Good.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
jemcgeough

Okay so I have a [hopefully quick] followup question:

So since I have downloaded the new calibre, I can't send books to my kobo. I connect and click send to device and disconnect from calibre once the "jobs" thing is back to 0. Before I disconnect, I make sure there is a green checkmark beside the books as well...but when I unplug my ereader from the computer, no new books have shown up. This was what it was doing before (when I went back to calibre 0.8.65)

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay so I have a [hopefully quick] followup question:

So since I have downloaded the new calibre, I can't send books to my kobo. I connect and click send to device and disconnect from calibre once the "jobs" thing is back to 0. Before I disconnect, I make sure there is a green checkmark beside the books as well...but when I unplug my ereader from the computer, no new books have shown up. This was what it was doing before (when I went back to calibre 0.8.65)
Can you try again, but before disconnecting the reader, check that the book files are actually on reader. You will need to open the drive for the reader and look in the files put there by calibre.

If the files are there, then it is a problem with the file and the reader is rejecting them when it does its processing. It could be failing on a single file and not processing the rest of them.

If the files are not there, then we'll have to look at what calibre is doing wrong.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
LaGringa
Enthusiast
LaGringa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
As far as updating the book file in Kindle for PC goes, I've discovered that it won't update until the next time you open Kindle for PC. If Kindle for PC is open while you are instructing Manage Your Kindle to send the update, you won't see it -- most of the time. As you mentioned, sometimes after many tries, the updated book will show up. It's much easier to just make sure Kindle for PC is closed when you send the updated file.

I haven't figured out an efficient way to process these updated files either. I read some books on K4PC and some on Kindle and keep all in Calibre. I'm glad if authors are correcting their badly edited books, but I wish they would put more effort into doing that before they put them up for sale. The last time I looked, I had 67 updates! That's a bit ridiculous.
LaGringa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, book updates, calibre