Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
higlider
higlider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre2OPDS AZW3 files

I have added AZW3 to the list of file extensions in Calibre2OPDS, but the catalog web page produced does not list the AZW3 file under "Download" for a book that has the AZW3 file present. Is there something else I need to do?

I don't know why the AZW3 format exists, is it better than MOBI? Why does Calibre convert AZW files to MOBI automatically, but not AZW3 files? What is the best strategy, convert all to MOBI, or also keep the AZW3?
higlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When you say you added AZW3 to the list of formats, do you mean you added it at the source code level or merely in the configuration screen? It needs to be added to the the source code level for it to be effective.

For the next release several changes are in being made
- the validation of the configuration screen will highlight any formats that are not on the list that Calibre2opds has built into the soutce code and thus knows about by default.
- it will be possible for the user to extend the list of known formats by updating a configuration file rather than having to make a change to the source code and rebuilding calibre2opds.
- azw3 is being added to the list of formats Calibre2opds knows about by default for generating correct download links.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
higlider
higlider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No, I did not modify the source code. I presumed putting a file extension in the list meant it would look for files of that type and add a download for it.

In that light, I was wondering if I added MP3 to the list if it would have multiple downloads for each file of an audiobook perhaps numbered in a logical way. Is the new version going to be able to handle audiobooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
When you say you added AZW3 to the list of formats, do you mean you added it at the source code level or merely in the configuration screen? It needs to be added to the the source code level for it to be effective.

For the next release several changes are in being made
- the validation of the configuration screen will highlight any formats that are not on the list that Calibre2opds has built into the soutce code and thus knows about by default.
- it will be possible for the user to extend the list of known formats by updating a configuration file rather than having to make a change to the source code and rebuilding calibre2opds.
- azw3 is being added to the list of formats Calibre2opds knows about by default for generating correct download links.
higlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I just tried this today, and noticed the same thing. Looking forward to having it in the next OPDS update!

higlider, the main reason I like azw3 more than mobi is because azw3 is "tweakable" by Calibre, where mobi is not. Sometimes books have extra pages in them I don't want, or if I've converted them more than once, they might have duplicate metadata pages in the beginning. I used to have to convert my mobi files to epub files, tweak them, and convert them back to put them on my Kindle. Now I can just convert all my books to azw3 and fiddle with them whenever.
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote