Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Makes you wonder way, after all, the Note is a rip-off of the iphone, I am sure hordes of people bought a Note and then they were like "Oh my God, the suckers, they cheated me, it has a Samsung logo on the top!!!"
...too funny
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Samsung has stated they will stay with pentil until they can improve the life of the screen. It seems true RGB decreases the life of the screen.

Also I think the whole pentile issue is diminished the higher the res goes. For me I don't so much care about pentile I want 300+ dpi.

I think you should worry more about when Samsung decides to bring it to the states vs Apple trying to ban the Note, besides the Notes where never part of the law suit.

It took Samsung 1yr to bring the Note to the States and 1.5 to bring it to T-Mobile. I would have purchased the original Note hand I not been aware that the Note II was going to be announced 1mo later.

See my response to @dopedangle.
I haven't had a close look at a Galaxy III's screen. But I don't like the one on the original Note that much. You are saying there is a big difference?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Makes you wonder why, after all, the Note is a rip-off of the iphone, I am sure hordes of people bought a Note and then they were like "Oh my God, the suckers, they cheated me, it has a Samsung logo on the top!!!"
I think these days you would want to stay away from Apple's designs as much as you can. Just imagine the disappointment of a buyer who proudly took out his/her new Android phone and then discovered he/she bought an iphone by mistake?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I haven't had a close look at a Galaxy III's screen. But I don't like the one on the original Note that much. You are saying there is a big difference?
I don't know about the Note, but the Galaxy Nexus, which came out at about the same time as the Note, has a screen that is noticeably inferior to the S3's screen (all 3 use pentile). I would expect the Note (original) to be similar to the GN. The new Note is supposed to be better than the S3.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just imagine the disappointment of a buyer who proudly took out his/her new Android phone and then discovered he/she bought an iphone by mistake?
The horror!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin

Nice review here:

Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #22
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I think these days you would want to stay away from Apple's designs as much as you can. Just imagine the disappointment of a buyer who proudly took out his/her new Android phone and then discovered he/she bought an iphone by mistake?
i'm ashamed to say that my brother, who is a fairly sought-after programmer in his field, told me that he mistook the S3 for an iphone x_x guess he missed that HUGE screen
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i'm ashamed to say that my brother, who is a fairly sought-after programmer in his field, told me that he mistook the S3 for an iphone x_x guess he missed that HUGE screen
Well, maybe it was after a night of heavy partying and binge drinking?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
If it's the pixelization that bothers you the difference is in DPI not just resolution and pixel layout. Though they are all tied together for the over all image quality.

That said there is a difference for me.

I have the Galaxy S, my sister has the Droid Charge, my brother has the Note, and his wife has the S3.

The droid Charge is a Super AMOLED Plus(RGB) with the same res as my GS. For me those screens look about the same quality.

My brother and his wife have a Note/S3. The S3 has a very crisp image and looks nice, the Note is a little grainy (looks as good as my GS). They both have a HD Super AMOLED screen(same rez/both pentile). But the screen on the S3 is smaller than the Note so the DPI is larger.

Quote:
I don't know about the Note, but the Galaxy Nexus, which came out at about the same time as the Note, has a screen that is noticeably inferior to the S3's screen (all 3 use pentile). I would expect the Note (original) to be similar to the GN. The new Note is supposed to be better than the S3.
Both the GNexus and S3 have HD Super AMOLED screens and the same resolution, the only difference is the GNexus has a smaller screen hence a larger DPI (316 vs 306).
I did not get to compare the S3 vs the Neuxus but alone the Nexus screen looks very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
So your brother thought the name "SAMSUNG" that's plastered in front of the phone was Apples new logo?

Last edited by =X=; 08-31-2012 at 12:53 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
So your brother thought the name "SAMSUNG" that's plastered in front of the phone was Apples new logo?
Apple is their low end ("Toyota") and the high-end devices are sold under the Samsung brand ("Lexus")
Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
If it's the pixelization that bothers you the difference is in DPI not just resolution and pixel layout. Though they are all tied together for the over all image quality.

That said there is a difference for me.

I have the Galaxy S, my sister has the Droid Charge, my brother has the Note, and his wife has the S3.

The droid Charge is a Super AMOLED Plus(RGB) with the same res as my GS. For me those screens look about the same quality.

My brother and his wife have a Note/S3. The S3 has a very crisp image and looks nice, the Note is a little grainy (looks as good as my GS). They both have a HD Super AMOLED screen(same rez/both pentile). But the screen on the S3 is smaller than the Note so the DPI is larger.

Both the GNexus and S3 have HD Super AMOLED screens and the same resolution, the only difference is the GNexus has a smaller screen hence a larger DPI (316 vs 306).
I did not get to compare the S3 vs the Neuxus but alone the Nexus screen looks very nice.

My brother has the GN and I have the S3, we have compared and agreed that the S3 has an improved screen compared to the GN, even when both use pentile and the GN has a slightly higher DPI. Samsung said so themselves at the announcement of the S3, they improved the pentile screen, and said so again with the Note2 announcement. That said, it's not a dramatic difference, but still noticeable.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 / OnePlus 5
Quote:
Too bad the Note II still has that same pentile screen -- if I don't get one that will be the main reason.
As far as I can see, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has a NON pentile screen.
See for instance here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED#HD_Super_AMOLED
and :
http://www.phonearena.com/news/No-mo...review_id33845

Last edited by glin; 09-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
glin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by glin View Post
As far as I can see, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has a NON pentile screen.
See for instance here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED#HD_Super_AMOLED
and :
http://www.phonearena.com/news/No-mo...review_id33845
Interesting, well let us see how the real devices look and wait for more reviews.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Makes you wonder why, after all, the Note is a rip-off of the iphone, I am sure hordes of people bought a Note and then they were like "Oh my God, the suckers, they cheated me, it has a Samsung logo on the top!!!"
It may not have been part of the ruling but apple are seeking to have it banned along with the S3, the galaxy note 10.1, the new Samsung music player and the galaxy nexus for good measure.

http://m.engadget.com/2012/08/31/app...atent-lawsuit/

So no doubt they will go after the note 2.

The gall of this company knows no bounds.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard

Maybe the A in USA now stands for Apple?