Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I remember hating seeing cigarette ads (on cardstock no less) in the middle of paperbacks back in the seventies: so No.

Other books by the author in the front, and others from the same publisher at the back - sure. But that's not really an ad for something else so much as a catalog. Not a big deal.

That's my limit.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #17
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
My first response is NO, but I walked away for a bit and thought about it.

I hated the idea of the KSO when I heard about it. I received one. I find the ads okay, even helpful. I have used several of the offers on things I intended to buy anyway. Not a lot of savings, but they are getting up there.

A previous poster reminded me about my collection of Hostess Fruit pie ads from the comic books I use to collect. I hated the fruit pies, but loved the ads.

Maybe, just maybe, the ads could work. I just don't see how they could get enough clicks. I probably wouldn't go for them, but things change. Do people actually click on ads that are flashing on a webpage?
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I'd be fine with ads in ebooks if the ads were confined to a page [or pages] at the start or end of the book. That is if it meant that a lot of currently unavailable books would become available at reasonable price and at good quality; well formatted and proofed against the original paper book release. To me it would not be worth the trouble to unpack the ebook (talking about ePub format here of course) just to remove the offending pages.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-24-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Worst idea ever. I'd never for a moment consider buying a book containing advertising and if it ever becomes prevalent, I'm straight off to the dark side.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What SmokeAndMirrors said in post #4.
100 % agree.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
If ads can be done in a tasteful, non-intrusive fashion . . .
Dude, you should have been a professional comedian. Biggest laugh I've had in a long, long time.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
There are already ads in books (e- and otherwise). They're called "product placement ads." Any time you read about a character drinking a Coke or driving a Ford, you can bet money changed hands to have that happen.

Aside from that, I'm reminded, for some reason, of the original DIVX. (Not the video code, the original "one use" CDs), which crashed an burned so spectacularly that nobody ahs even tried since.

As for me, in this day and age where the only approach to advertising seems to be to annoy the hell out of the customer until they give you money, the annoy them even more, I'll stop reading entirely before I put up with ads in books. Fortunately, with outfits like Project Gutenberg, I won't have to.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #23
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Did you just use the word tasteful with respect to advertising? It will be tasteful until the cognitive behaviorists in the marketing departments start using all their tricks to divert reader's attention away from reading. I can't wait for my first flashing text hot singles advertisement on my Kindle. Great.
Then the consumers would obviously reject that. However, they didn't reject the ad-supported KSO. In the contrary, the KSO was a huge success. My recollection when the KSO came out was that many naysayers proclaimed it DOA because consumers would reject any ads associated withthe ebook reading experience. The naysayers were dead wrong then, and they will most likely be proved wrong again.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Ah yes, yet another reason I have never wanted wireless capabilities for my e-reader. I'm fine with a list of the author's other books at the front, and a few "ads" for similar books at the end, like in the p-books. But I successfully ignore ads online (those that get through my ad-blocker, anyhow) and will probably learn to do the same if they start appearing in e-books.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
But if this happens, I'd hate to see them implement this, say an ebook with ads costs $4.99-9.99, and then justify that an ebook with no ads costs $9.99-19.99 all of a sudden. Unfortunately, companies love this tactic. :/

THe KSO model is based on precisely this idea and its an overwhelming success. If you see ads in ebooks, it will most likely be some form of this model, IMO. Lots of people disagree with me, though. See HERE.

Regardless, of what we believe, its likely that some sort of ad-supported ebook model will be tried.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #26
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
It depends on how it's done, but I think that it's a good idea if I can pay less for the books. Flashing would of course be stupid, but if it's just a couple of lines at the bottom of the page, or a whole page at the end of every chapter I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #27
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I dislike nearly all advertisements and take measures to avoid them. When I need/want something, then I will *seek* information about it. If I'm willing to pay an extra $30 to avoid ads on my e-reader, I'm sure not going to welcome them in my e-books.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Adverts between chapters wouldn't really bother me, but I wouldn't want to see them onscreen all the way through. Product placement would probably work better though. "He lit his Silk Cut and sighed at the smooth flavour as he inhaled." Or "he opened up his Macbook Air and pondered how much better it was than his old Windows computer."
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
This was discussed a couple of times earlier. But then, so was DRM and ebook prices.

Ads have been in books in the past , contrary to myth. If ads can be done in a tasteful, non-intrusive fashion, and if the economics justify it, they will be in ebooks
Does the fact that the ads in paperbooks experiment never really took off not serve as a pointer in this case?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I really don't like ads in my reading material, but lets look at the big picture:

1. Magazines and newspapers are full of ads, and nobody is boycotting them
2. Television, radio, internet sites -- sponsored and paid by advertisers
3. Commercial-quality videos on YouTube and news sites now lead with advertisements

If ebooks ads are tactfully placed, and not excessive, then I would be fine with it, especially if it led to a free ebook or at least a very good discount. Just please, please keep it mute. I can't stand internet ads that are audible distractors.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote