Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's why I pretty much ignored the stipulation.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaza View Post
Do you consider fantasy elements supernatural or are you just looking for psychological horror? If so recommend The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr, the Hannibal books by Thomas Harris and as mentioned above, The Blue Rose Trilogy by Peter Straub.
I enjoyed the Caleb Carr novels (and I'm a big Straub fan, too).

Although Dan Simmons' The Terror has a few supernatural elements to it, I consider it mainly psychological horror, with a lot of interesting history thrown in as well.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Although Dan Simmons' The Terror has a few supernatural elements to it, I consider it mainly psychological horror, with a lot of interesting history thrown in as well.
That's a big thumbs-up, there!
Absolutely my favorite Simmons novel.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Hi all. Looking for horror recommendations WITHOUT the element of the supernatural thrown in (Dean Koontz...and many of Stephen King's novels). Thanks to all in advance.
Heya...horror is a pretty large genre as I have found.

Does splatterpunk pique your interest?

From wikipedia "splatterpunk" entry:
"...refers to a movement within horror fiction distinguished by its graphic, often gory, depiction of violence and "hyperintensive horror with no limits." It is regarded as a revolt against the "traditional, meekly suggestive horror story". Think Edward Lee for one of the current kings of splatterpunk horror.

One of my personal fave authors is Michael Slade. Imagine a mashup of:
- interesting Canadian [indeed global] pseudo-historical tidbits;
- strong police procedural;
- an elite branch of the Canadian Mounties dedicated to nabbing the very worst serial killers and psychos;
- plenty of twists and turns;
- techno-thriller;
- sublimely insane but highly intelligent villians;
- some pretty graphic depictions of blood, gore and general horror mayhem;
- a very strong cast of core characters;
- no supernatural stuff - just twisted baddies and very righteous good guys.

Not for everyone, but I love Slade!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
PaulineDesigns
Connoisseur
PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, HS M700, Axim w/uBook
John Saul...I've only read 4-5 of his books (think he's written something like 32) and they've all been very good.
PaulineDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
You might like Richard Laymon. He does both monster monsters and human monsters. One of my favorites is Night In Lonesome October, It's about a college kid who breaks up with his girlfriend and feeling depressed decided to walk to a donut shop eight miles away....
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Does splatterpunk pique your interest?

One of my personal fave authors is Michael Slade.
Love splatterpunk . Thanks for the recommendation - never tried Slade.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #23
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm going to recommend Robert McCammon's Swan Song despite the fact that it may have supernatural elements. You mentioned King; and those who enjoy The Stand will more than like enjoy Swan Song.
Let's add The Passage too while we're at it
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I thought of another author you might like. Daniel Hecht. Skull Sessions and Puppets are both out in e.

Do you ever do foreign writers? If you don't mind more literary horror, you might enjoy The Angel's Game or Prince of Myst by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Both are set around the Spanish civil war. The transaltions are excellent, so no awkwardness there.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Peter Straub's 'If your could see me now,' is definitely worth the time.
Stephen_Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The 1980s horror anthology Dark Forces is now available from Amazon. The editor was inspired by Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions and wanted to do a similar book using original horror short stories written especially for it. This isn't a ground-breaking work like DV was but it's still a great collection of short stories.
Some of the stories like The Mist by Stephen King have since appeared in other books but they were here first.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Forces-25...2901296&sr=1-4
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
bethmurray
bethmurray began at the beginning.

Device: none
I love horror & don't mind a little supernatural but despise anything vampire related. (the mushy Anne Rice stuff anyway lol).

I "listened" to lately
Swan Song - great read, apocalyptic but with a touch of supernatural

Monstrumologist & the sequel - the lead "character" is more of cryptozoologist/scientist - loved it

day by day armageddon & part 2 beyond exile by J.l. bourne GREAT zombie books - I can't wait the third!

King's Full Dark No stars

Z.A. Recht's PLague of the Dead The Morningstar Strain Book 1 & Thunder & Ashes The Morningstar Strain Book 2

Loved King's Lisey's Story

So basically I am no help at all since I love a touch of supernatural LOL
bethmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
bethmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
loved it & the sequel "Wendigo"
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #29
bethmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm going to recommend Robert McCammon's Swan Song despite the fact that it may have supernatural elements. You mentioned King; and those who enjoy The Stand will more than like enjoy Swan Song.
Best book I have read (ok listened to) in a long long long time. I use audible & the narrator was great! Hopefully there will be a book 2.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #30
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Swamp Foetus by Poppy Z. Brite is a collection of 12 horror stories which are seriously scary--not at all for the faint-hearted.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote