Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Significant database schema changes in WIFI version

Hi

Kovid has released the new version of Calible that recognizes the wifi device. I don't have a wifi version yet so I can only hope that the calibre driver works fine with it.

Has anyone who has the wifi version looks at the database schema to see whether there are differences?

There are significant database changes in the WIFI version. - Updates below
Tim

Last edited by timlegge; 10-19-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Changing the Title to keep the database discussion in this thread
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Has anyone who has the wifi version looks at the database schema to see whether there are differences?
Tim
I did not and have no new reader, but could say without further
pondering that they would not change it in the middle of the game.
It would be a suicide and might make all previously bought books
unreadable.
I'm not sqlite adept, anyway.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Early reports are the new kobo is supporting images so clearly the schema has changed somehow. It would not be unreasonable for certain books to have minimum kobo firmware requirements. Suicide averted.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi Tim,
There have been some changes - send me a private message and I'll find a way to get the details to you.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Wow! I am looking at the database changes for the WIFI kobo and WOW. It is a wonder Calibre still works with it. I am about to do a full review and determine what changes if any should be made but here are some changes:

The sqlite database does not include the books and is approximately 5 megs.

The kobo 100 free books and the new kobo books synced from your account are now encrypted epubs.

The database now simply handles the pointers to the epubs, images, etc.

This is a huge change because it means that I can fairly easily implement the ability to export the epubs to your Calibre library (encrypted of course). The 100 delivered books (any any of the books synced from the kobo store) can now be backed up.

I will update as I see more. This change now makes sense when I look what I posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=37 about the iPhone app.

Stay tuned...

Tim
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tim, can you tell if they use ADE DRM on the books loaded through sync? That could be a very big deal if Kobo ended up delivering ADE books for download on other mobile devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
timlegge
Addict

No idea. They are fairly normal looking encrypted ePubs.