Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #31
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
but most "dedicated readers" whom I know are not thieves...
Then they will pay for e-Book, but most people will just download it from well-known places. Lost sales, limited market.
Quote:
And Calibre is NOT "pirate software." It's for organizing your collection of books...
I have some ebook catalog software installed, but only Calibre allows converting copy-protected AZW files into plain-text EPUB.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #32
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
What is a "casual" reader anyway? Someone who visits the bookshop or library occasionally, pick up a book he or she rarely finishes?

I have a hunch you're either a reader or not, that a '"casual" reader equates somewhat to "10 birds on the roof".
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
I have some ebook catalog software installed, but only Calibre allows converting copy-protected AZW files into plain-text EPUB.
Calibre cannot do that. Calibre plus plugins written by a third party can. The third party that maintains those plugins also produces stand-alone DRM removal tools for the same formats, so it isn't necessary to use calibre at all.

You probably consider this to be splitting hairs. But, your claim that because calibre can be used to pirate ebooks, it is the reason that pirated books exist is pretty facetious and would be hard to prove.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:05 AM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
In that case, care to explain why has 99% pirated content out there been de-DRMed and converted from Adobe/Amazon formats to EPUB with that particular software? Is it just coincidence?
And you got your claimed percentage from ... Thin Air Research Inc. Right?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then they will pay for e-Book, but most people will just download it from well-known places. Lost sales, limited market.
More figures from Thin Air Research Inc.

Quote:
Which is not pirating. If I convert my (bought and paid for) Kindle book into ePub so I can read it on my Sony, I haven't pirated anything. Now if I borrowed from a library, then converted it to ePub and kept it, that would be pirating. Again, if a person is a thief, they're going to be a thief. Calibre doesn't turn anyone into a thief. I don't have stolen ebooks. No one I know has stolen ebooks. Maybe you're running around with the wrong crowd and projecting their issues on others.
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Calibre cannot do that. Calibre plus plugins written by a third party can. The third party that maintains those plugins also produces stand-alone DRM removal tools for the same formats, so it isn't necessary to use calibre at all.
That's true.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #37
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@Sarmat89. Seldom do I see so much ignorance packed into single posts. They have now been well documented by the replies in this thread. If you prefer paper books that is fine. But please don't make up outright falsehoods to support your opinion. Calibre is not pirate software. I do not see how you could possibly have any knowledge what tools pirates use to free ebooks from the drm infection. And, as has been pointed out above, Calibre cannot do this without 3rd party plugins. So far as I'm aware even Apprentice Alf doesn't provide any tools to remove watermarks and so-called "social drm". In your first post in this thread you said of ebooks that they:

Quote:
should not be exposed to cold, heat, or sunlight, which needs a working computer to copy the book files from, which needs a USB cable or a charger, and constant recharge.
Every single statement is incorrect. Not a bad effort.

And your subsequent posts in this thread are no great improvement. Please try to do better in future.

Last edited by darryl; 02-23-2018 at 05:50 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:16 AM   #38
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Every single statement is incorrect.
I'll just quote a random reader's manual:
Quote:
Do not leave the product in direct sunlight for long periods and do not use in extreme high or low temperature environments.
"Extremely high or low temperatures" are 0° and 50°. So it cannot be worn in the pocket in winter. You cannot read on the bus stop. You cannot read in the direct sunlight in summer, as the screen or battery will get too hot.

I'm still puzzled what is "incorrect" in copying files from a computer and recharging it regularly with a USB cable. Unless you mean an expensive branded reader with WiFi connectivity and integrated book shop? Those are not popular where I live.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'll just quote a random reader's manual:

"Extremely high or low temperatures" are 0° and 50°. So it cannot be worn in the pocket in winter. You cannot read on the bus stop. You cannot read in the direct sunlight in summer, as the screen or battery will get too hot.
A statement that is probably in the manual of every consumer electronic device made in the last thirty or so years. Hell, my refrigerator has a similar notice. And the temperature range is a lot smaller than 0ºC to 50ºC.
Quote:
I'm still puzzled what is "incorrect" in copying files from a computer and recharging it regularly with a USB cable. Unless you mean an expensive branded reader with WiFi connectivity and integrated book shop? Those are not popular where I live.
You will have to define "expensive". Is the basic Kindle Touch expensive? It does have WiFi and you can download books to it. The least expensive Kobo also has WiFi and I can visit any reasonably well designed site hosting epubs (eg. Project Gutenberg) and download the books and read them.

For charging, you don't have to plug it into a computer. Any USB charger will do.

If your point is that ereaders are over-kill for most people, then fine. For anyone reading less than a book a month, it would be a waste. But, there are also plenty of people spending several hours a day. For them, an ereader and ebooks are a worthwhile investment. It is so much easier to put my ereader with lots of books on it in my bag, than it is to make sure I have the current paperback and another in case I finish the first during my commute.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Trade-offs.

People bought ebooks over the years from independent online stores. Legitimate stores. They had DRM. They were guaranteed that they could re-download their ebooks, as their ebook readers changed.

Then the store went broke. Now those ebooks cannot be downloaded by anybody who bought them, due to DRM. An artificial loss, due to DRM only. Had those ebooks been bought without DRM, the owner (legitimate in both cases) would still have their books.

Does protecting the property you bought make you a "pirate"?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #41
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
If you mean a smartphone, the reading from 4" screen is not pleasant, backlit screen does not work well in the sunlight, and the exposure to the direct sunlight can cause overheat/warping of a device. A printed book is not afraid of the sunlight.

Phone is not a convenient device to read from in itself.
I'd invite you to the office where I work. In a department of some 50 people, look at the phones laying on desks. All you'll see are 5.5 to 6 inch screens. Perhaps an odd 5 inch. I can happily read all day long on a 5.5 inch screen. And yes, for my preferred backlight setting indoors, the battery does last all day.

It's at least 10 years since I've read a paper book cover to cover. I only read on laptop, Kindle, phone and audiobooks now.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #42
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
If you mean a smartphone, the reading from 4" screen is not pleasant, backlit screen does not work well in the sunlight, and the exposure to the direct sunlight can cause overheat/warping of a device. A printed book is not afraid of the sunlight.

Phone is not a convenient device to read from in itself.

In that case, care to explain why has 99% pirated content out there been de-DRMed and converted from Adobe/Amazon formats to EPUB with that particular software? Is it just coincidence?
You can buy a gun for legal purposes such as home security, hunting, or target shooting. That doesn't mean that guns can't be used for illegal purposes. i.e. armed robbery and murder. The same applies to Calibre. Though I don't know where you get your percentages. There has to be more than just Calibre being misused by people.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #43
Sarmat89
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Does protecting the property you bought make you a "pirate"?
You've bought a right to read the book on a certain device for a less than physical book price. That file was licensed to you, not sold.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is the link to the original article. https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...red-ramblings/
You must have a different meaning for original than I do. Nate's article references the actual original article at https://scroll.in/article/868871/the...ette-group-ceo but does not include

Nourry:
Quote:
It’s not that we’re against ebooks. People have to pay a price that is about 40% lower than the print price. And it works.
I wish that were true in general. An e-book actual transaction cost may be 40% lower than the print book list price, but it is very frequently higher than the actual transaction cost for a new unused paperback or hardback version once the paperback is out.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #45
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
The third party Calibre plugins can only convert copy protected AZW files purchased by the Kindle (or Adobe or B&N) owner to DRM free ePUB. These third party plugins were originally standalone scripts which stripped the DRM from AZW and ePub books, and were later adapted by others to as Calibre plugins to automatically strip the DRM when imported to Calibre. These plugins are not part of Calibre and have to be installed from elsewhere.

While it may be circumventing some DRM laws, it's not piracy if the person who buys the copy protected ebooks doesn't give the ebook away, and only strips the DRM so that they can read the ebook on their preferred ereader.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote