Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Why have Kobo desktop app?

Being a former Sony user (950s and T1s), I'm new to Kobo.

Why might I want the Kobo desktop app?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
If you want to read & organize your Kobo content on your desktop computer, the desktop app is useful for that.

If you want to update your Kobo e-reader without using wi-fi, the desktop app is useful for that.

Other than that... not much. I've never really used the desktop app.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you have wi-fi enabled on the Kobo I'm not sure there is any pressing need.

However, I never enable wi-fi so I use Kobo Desktop to do the following:
1. The initial login when I first register the device with my email account
2. The initial download of standard dictionaries.
3. When buying a kepub from Kobo, having it download to Kobo Desktop means I can easily use Alf's de-DRM tools on it. Personally I prefer this method to messing around with ADE to get the standard epub format.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Is it easier with the Kobo desktop app than with wifi to keep the Aura One from syncing ebooks?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Is it easier with the Kobo desktop app than with wifi to keep the Aura One from syncing ebooks?
Yes and no. If you do the set-up ove WiFi, details of all books will be synced but only about five will be downloaded. If you do the setup using the desktop application, sync the details for all the books and then start to sync the actual books to the device. But, there is a "skip" button to stop this.

For both, any new books will be put on the device automatically at the next sync. You cannot stop that for the WiFi, but you can stop it for the desktop app.

You can remove books using either. But, if you want to remove a lot of books, the desktop application is quicker to use. And, from memory, you can click multiple books to remove in one go.

The best thing to do depends on what you want to do. If you are only going to read sideloaded books, then, either use an account which has no books, or delete them after the initial setup. If you use the account with the books, after the setup, just don't sync. If you don't sync, no books get downloaded.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 03:32 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Thanks!
No idea. I use Calibre to manage my books. I wouldn't even know how the deskopt application looks like...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did install the Desktop back when the only way to download ePub 3 was as kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Thanks!
My main use is when I factory reset my ereader (common) or purchase a new one (a lot less common). I tend to cause issues with my Kobos so I've done quite a few factory resets. It's just easier to use my laptop keyboard to enter username/password information and do the initial firmware upgrade and sync of Kobo purchased ebooks. I also add my Adobe authorization and fonts back to the Kobo and after the restart, I copy over GeoffR's patches. It's also handy when I want to import Kobo kepubs into Calibre.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
There is no use for the desktop app. Especially since they made it even more complicated with their last update. I got fed up and set up a dummy account with kobo and just loaded everything with Calibre. Whew.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
There is no use for the desktop app. Especially since they made it even more complicated with their last update. I got fed up and set up a dummy account with kobo and just loaded everything with Calibre. Whew.
How is it more complicated? I've actually used it a bit in the last few days and I cannot see any changes. I've never liked the shop side of it and just use the web site. The ereader management side is works. I'm sure it could be better, but that's a basic statement that can be said about any application.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How is it more complicated? I've actually used it a bit in the last few days and I cannot see any changes. I've never liked the shop side of it and just use the web site. The ereader management side is works. I'm sure it could be better, but that's a basic statement that can be said about any application.
I guess complicated isn't the right word. The desktop app has always been annoying to me though and somehow more annoying with the last update. It takes forever to sync books. Just easier for me to load them with Calibre and i'm much less frustrated now.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I guess complicated isn't the right word. The desktop app has always been annoying to me though and somehow more annoying with the last update. It takes forever to sync books. Just easier for me to load them with Calibre and i'm much less frustrated now.
Interesting as I think I thought Kobo improved the ereader management the last time it was changed. Personally, I don't use it unless I am doing a factory reset and don't want to do a WiFi setup. About the only other time I use it is because of a thread like this where I check what state it is in the
Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:

Thanks!
One reason I used it is because I have a very... long... random... password to log into my Kobo Account. Typing that on the device would have been hell. So, I logged into the account using the desktop app, updated and synced the reader, and then disabled syncing and wiped all the books off of it. Wifi is disabled.

I sideload all books using Calibre.

If I can put the firmware on the device and then reboot, just like a Kindle, I'll probably never use the desktop app again. It's the same with Kindle for PC, and Adobe Digital Editions: I only use them to download the books I buy from Amazon or Kobo. After I import them into Calibre (which also removes DRM), I wipe them from the applications.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I sideload all books using Calibre.

If I can put the firmware on the device and then reboot, just like a Kindle, I'll probably never use the desktop app again. It's the same with Kindle for PC, and Adobe Digital Editions: I only use them to download the books I buy from Amazon or Kobo. After I import them into Calibre (which also removes DRM), I wipe them from the applications.
Same here. I don't think I have started Kobo Desktop more than once or twice (I buy almost all my books from Amazon). And you can update a Kobo like a Kindle: just grab the right firmware from here and follow the instructions. Which can be summed up in a single sentence, actually: 'Copy the contents of the zip file to the '.kobo' directory on your device and eject & disconnect it.'

I never enable WiFi or use Kobo Desktop; Calibre is all I need.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
While FW are posted here, you can do it (no reboot needed).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote