Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-27-2022, 06:58 AM   #1
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
TOC indenting behavior

When using h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 the TOC is successively indented, but ONLY if sequential. For example:
h1 part 1 of 2
h2 chapters
h3 subchapters
h4 subsubchapters
h5 captions of images
All is well if h5 follows h4, but if h3 has h5 after it the indentation of h5 is the same as h4:
h1
h2
h3
h5
h4
I would have thought it would look like:
h1
h2
h3
h5
h4

Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-11-27 05-48-03.png
Views:	68
Size:	514.2 KB
ID:	198042  
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops

oops. Upload does not show indentations at all in text. Please see attachment image with indentations:

Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-11-27 06-03-29.png
Views:	66
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	198043  
Advert
Old 11-27-2022, 07:14 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you cant have a toc level 5 after a level 3. tocs are trees every node needs to have a parent. to make what you want happen, calibre would have to insert a blank level 4.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

skipping and not-skipping a heading level

Thank you for your quick reply to my question. Your explanation of it clears up the problem entirely. Using this, I corrected the epub in the text editor and also enhanced the outline format of the table of contents. When using <h4></h4> the heading (Untitled) is inserted. I am using h5 for image captions, so I inserted <h4>image</h4> and it comes out nicely. See screenshots. Again, thank you. Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-11-28 07-39-21.png
Views:	53
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	198063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-11-28 07-37-41.png
Views:	55
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	198064  
Old 11-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Many actual ereaders only support two levels of indent on the System TOC
Things like image captions in eBooks should use CSS styles in a p tag.
Actual heading levels should really only be used in ebooks when you want a page break or really need it in the TOC. All other Heading-like text should simply be an appropriate CSS style on a p tag. Not all paragraph headings should be in a TOC anyway, only main ones.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-28-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #6
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Thanks for the input about h1-h5 and limitations of some ereaders. I was not aware that so many of them were so limited. The ebook I'm doing is actually four levels deep and is written in no-kidding outline form so h1-h4 looks real good on the TOC which is collapsible. I threw in h5 as image captions. In the past I've set images with non-drifting top, bottom, and top-and-bottom, and right-side captions using css. To my horror, years ago, I found out that even Amazon does not support but about half of what is available. It will not even do columns. Now there is the very desirable container queries on the horizon and, though I am hopeful, I'll bet this will not be included. The only ereader out there which works at the 100% level is calibre's own built-in reader. Best regards, Pop