Kobo Nickel 9 6.77%
Malabar 16 12.03%
Kobo UD Kakugo 6 4.51%
Open Dyslexic 2 1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I use Bookerly, effortless to read.
On my readers I've never liked Bookerly much (too light), but I've got a feeling it looks much better on screens with a higher resolution. (Mine are all 167ppi and below.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #32
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
it's interesting how many different fonts people like. subjectivity is a wonderful thing.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #33
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
On my readers I've never liked Bookerly much (too light), but I've got a feeling it looks much better on screens with a higher resolution. (Mine are all 167ppi and below.)
You can use ab app "koboify fonts" to darken a font a little - i use it on every sideloaded font...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=265725
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I prefer Bookerly.

Seriously, I like it a lot.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #35
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Thanks for this thread. It has sent me down the rabbit hole and now I have some splendid new fonts! Kudos to Kobo for making this so easy! Just one more reason to love Kobo.

My latest favorite is Caudex, which is very atmospheric for any historical fiction or epic fantasy, without sacrificing readability. Yummy!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #36
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well now I seem to like Caecilia since someone here mentioned it. It's bolder and a bit bigger than Amasis but not too big like Georgia. Just about right!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #37
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
The best font for any person will be the one with which reading feels most natural, and the font least intrusive. A community consensus might be interesting, but won't necessarily tell you anything about your own reading preference.

(My own preferred font is EB Garamond Absinthe.)
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #38
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I like IBM Plex Serif and Bookerly.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #39
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Among the default fonts, I would prefer to use Georgia and voted for that. Though I use a variety of side loaded fonts on Kobo. Noto Serif, CharInk and Bookerly are among them. But the choice of font largely depends on my mood. Sometimes I go for a sans serif font also. Exo and Scene are my preferred ones. Currently I'm using Comic Sans.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Currently I'm using Comic Sans.
Comic Sans Must DIE!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #41
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Thanks to all who mentioned Noto. I have the family installed on my PC, hadn't thought about loading it on my new Clara. Does anyone use it on their Kobo for displaying non-Roman scripts? If so, how does it look?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #42
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I was a big fan of Rockwell until Kobo replaced it with the vastly inferior Kobo Nickel, and then I started using Caecilia. But then I patched my firmware to enable advanced controls for sideloaded fonts and now use Amazon's Bookerly. But I'm always on the lookout for the "perfect" font!
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #43
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Thanks to all who mentioned Noto. I have the family installed on my PC, hadn't thought about loading it on my new Clara. Does anyone use it on their Kobo for displaying non-Roman scripts? If so, how does it look?
Calibri, Caudex, Dejavu Serif, Linux Biolinum, Linux Libertine, Noto Sans, Noto Serif, Palatino and Tinos have all my "test" glyphs, including one usually missing ancient Greek glyph.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Thanks Anacreon! I saw on the Google Fonts info pages a sample of Noto Sans and it showed devanagari characters, but was surprised that Noto Serif did not. I am happy with the way the book looks with Noto Sans now, although I'm looking forward to patching the firmarware to enable advanced control of the font to increase its weight a little
Old 10-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #45
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
I use on all the following fonts:
*Big or small, the font stays smooth, clean, readable.
fat enough for the features of the electronic screen but not too much like Caecilia (my prefered)..

1St for my "Caecilia" (very good contrast)
  • CharisSIL
  • Montserrat
  • Veleka

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-12-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote