Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
sartrism
sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boyue T62+, Sony DPT-RP1
[DPT-RP1] preview of new firmware

https://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/su...p1/newver.html

Very disappointing...

* update 5/30/2018

You must download new digital paper app from www.sony.net/dpapp to update it. (The old version was not updated automatically.) There's nothing new to be honest... You can download the app at Google Play Store, too but it has no function yet.

Last edited by sartrism; 05-30-2018 at 08:26 AM.
sartrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #2
Peter Silie
Peter Silie began at the beginning.

Device: sony digital paper
At least jumping to a certain page number will come now. This is the most important thing for me.
A big joke that it took so long for that feature but still glad it comes.

They should at least add all the basic functions that were available with the S1.

1)
Table of context. This was heavily requested everywhere.

2)
Workspaces:
All it does is that you can select a workspace and then all pdfs that you saved to this workspace are avaible from a list.
I really love this on my S1. I use the reader for different subjects in univeristy and always have around 10-15 pdfs saved in each workspace.
With this I can always jump between my files in secconds.

Both feartures should be very easy to add and imo wont have any negative impact.

I am still using the S1 and waiting for these features to come. I can live with bad file transfer and no sd card, but these basic features should be added.

Other devices are no option for me. I need 13.3". I tried the Max 1 for a few month and it was really bad for me compared to the S1.

Last edited by Peter Silie; 03-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Peter Silie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Silie View Post
At least jumping to a certain page number will come now. This is the most important thing for me.

They should at least add all the basic functions that were available with the S1.

1)

2)
Workspaces:
All it does is that you can select a workspace and then all pdfs that you saved to this workspace are avaible from a list.
I really love this on my S1. I use the reader for different subjects in univeristy and always have around 10-15 pdfs saved in each workspace.

Both feartures should be very easy to add and imo wont have any negative impact.

I am still using the S1 and waiting for these features to come. I can live with bad file transfer and no sd card, but these basic features should be added.

Other devices are no option for me. I need 13.3". I tried the Max 1 for a few month and it was really bad for me compared to the S1.
All of this can be achieved if you root the device and install your own Android app.
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
Peter Silie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svosg13 View Post
All of this can be achieved if you root the device and install your own Android app.
Can you do it yourself now or does it still cost several hundreds bucks?

And I need this featires integrated in the reader of sony not some third party andoid app.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
xoanohn
Connoisseur
xoanohn doesn't litterxoanohn doesn't litter

Device: Aura One, Aura, H2O, ipad pro 12.9 (2015 and 2017), PRS-T1, PRS-505
Not having a table of content, or hyperlinks, or having to use the cumbersome home button is problematic. I also want some refinements on UI. Why can’t you swipe in the folder view, or remember the last page in that view?

They need better software designers.
xoanohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
krats
krats began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Hello!
Does anyone know when the firmware will be released?
They say "in spring", but I would love to know more.
Also, they say to check the product homepage and wait for the official announcement, but they don't give the product homepage link, so even if i believe it's https://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/products/DPT-RP1/, we can't be sure.

I want to buy this item, but "Go to page X" and "Move while zoomed" features are extremely important to me, and I would prefer not buying it before the firmware is confirmed to be released.
Otherwise, If I was to buy it now, would I be able to easily update the firmware later, when it's released?

Thank you

Last edited by krats; 04-18-2018 at 08:15 PM.
krats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #7
Peter Silie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krats View Post
Hello!
Also, they say to check the product homepage and wait for the official announcement, but they don't give the product homepage link, so even if i believe it's https://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/products/DPT-RP1/, we can't be sure.

I want to buy this item, but "Go to page X" and "Move while zoomed" features are extremely important to me, and I would prefer not buying it before the firmware is confirmed to be released.
Otherwise, If I was to buy it now, would I be able to easily update the firmware later, when it's released?

Thank you
Of course you will be able to update the firmware yourself later. I think nobody can say when the firmware finally will come out.
Maybe the new smaller device will have the same firmware. Then the update should come at least when the new device is out.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295450
Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by krats View Post
Hello!
Wow, this is written on the official Sony website:

"PC may not be able to connect with DPT-RP1 depending on PC environment settings (security software / firewall etc.)"

I mean, yes, it's true, but that is a pretty big admission of a fail.
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think it's an admission of a fail. The PC does and doesn't do whatever it is configured for (ignoring bugs). It's out of the control of Sony. Unless you're suggesting that Sony should go back to installing rootkits on people's computers?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
I guess the first real opportunity to experience a new firmware will be in a week time when Sony's DPT-CP1 will be exhibited for first time at Mobile Solutions Expo from May 9, 2018 to Friday May 11.

Last edited by fgdas; 05-01-2018 at 02:12 PM.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #11
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't think it's an admission of a fail. The PC does and doesn't do whatever it is configured for (ignoring bugs). It's out of the control of Sony. Unless you're suggesting that Sony should go back to installing rootkits on people's computers?
I think it's not right or wrong. Sony has a good vision of a secure device, but the execution is pretty poor that fails to deliver several important features which existed in the older model. Customer is always discontent, so they look for ways to modify the device, that is why the Chinese hacker gained thousands of dollars for performing root of the device. This is sadly unpleasant experience!

And this is completely under Sony's control. In the new firmware, they can either deliver the lacking feature, or Sony should just keep their device open to modification, which could be a significant boost to their sale - look at the legendary HTC HD2 https://www.xda-developers.com/htcs-...-hd2-receives/
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
Joonlego
Joonlego began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Silie View Post

1)

2)
Workspaces:

My wish list is DPT-RP1 with DPT-S1 firmware!

I don't know why Sony removed 'multi-tab' function. S1's multi-tab function was essential to read technical documents in a tablet. For example, I usually open a document three times with multi-tabs: one for text, one for Table or Figures, and one for references. Multi-tabs make things easy to go back and forth.

WebDAV was a great feature. Sony removed it, why? I synced a cloud folder with DPT-S1 through WebDAV. It worked seamlessly and very conveniently.

So, please add Multi-tab function and WebDAV function to DPT-R1 or later products.

Last edited by Joonlego; 05-02-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Joonlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't think it's an admission of a fail. The PC does and doesn't do whatever it is configured for (ignoring bugs). It's out of the control of Sony.
To me it seems like they haven't been able to make Windows Firewall play nice with their sync software, because they chose to install it as some kind of network device. I have followed all their directions and even reset my firewall rules, and I still can't make the thing sync without disabling the firewall.

IMO connecting some mobile device shouldn't be this hard, so to me this is a 'fail'. Their statement 'oh by the way, if you use a firewall this might not work' reads kind of like 'we tried to make this work, but this stuff is difficult so good luck'.
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #14
sartrism
sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.sartrism is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boyue T62+, Sony DPT-RP1
They announced that the update will be available on May 30, but it lacks the table of contents function. smh You may check the email as well as the updated manual for RP1/CP1 for details. This (preview) is pretty all they have added.
sartrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:44 AM   #15
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Did anyone receive the update yet?
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote