Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #1231
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
"Briefs" makes me think military reports. So we do use the term, in some situations.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #1232
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Well, actually, I may have been wrong about it being the Brits. It actually appears to just be the way the Economist refers to itself, independent of its being a British publication: https://www.economist.com/the-econom...lf-a-newspaper

My bad...

Regarding the "briefs" - all I can say is, again, that's what the Economist itself referred to them as. I would sort of assume (although I just had to take a "my bad" for assuming ) that this might be short for "briefing"? Or maybe just refers to the fact that they are not very many pages - i.e. brief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'll try to remember that in future posts that I read, and that I publish, of British "newspapers."

So, do the Brits use the word "magazine?" If so, what do they mean by it?

"Briefs" is not a familiar word to us Yanks, either, unless you're talking about an article of men's clothing. If I had to say, I would say that they are what American scholars refer to as "monographs."
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 03:34 AM   #1233
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Well, actually, I may have been wrong about it being the Brits. It actually appears to just be the way the Economist refers to itself, independent of its being a British publication: https://www.economist.com/the-econom...lf-a-newspaper

My bad...

Regarding the "briefs" - all I can say is, again, that's what the Economist itself referred to them as. I would sort of assume (although I just had to take a "my bad" for assuming ) that this might be short for "briefing"? Or maybe just refers to the fact that they are not very many pages - i.e. brief?
It's a not uncommon noun from the verb "to brief", which means to bring someone up-to-date with information about something.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #1234
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a not uncommon noun from the verb "to brief", which means to bring someone up-to-date with information about something.
The verb seems to be newest, the noun in one meaning (letter from the Pope) is cited from 1289

Also (1631)
a. Law. A summary of the facts of a case, with reference to the points of law supposed to be applicable to them, drawn up for the instruction of counsel conducting the case in court. to hold a brief: to be retained as counsel in a case, to argue a point for
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #1235
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
The verb seems to be newest, the noun in one meaning (letter from the Pope) is cited from 1289

Also (1631)
a. Law. A summary of the facts of a case, with reference to the points of law supposed to be applicable to them, drawn up for the instruction of counsel conducting the case in court. to hold a brief: to be retained as counsel in a case, to argue a point for
I think that no one has mentioned the adjectival use of "brief." A "brief" lecture, a "brief" trip, a "brief" stop . . . .

I'm not going to take the time to look it up in a dictionary, but my guess is that it also came from its use as a verb.

I know that this has been a "brief" post, but I don't want to be the one caught for being off topic . . . .

Back sorta on topic, what word does the British use for "magazine?" What word for "monograph?" "Journal (its use in academic/scholarly circles)?". What words for other paper-based media or e-media, that Americans use but the Brits don't, and vice versa? Any?

As soon as we cover that country, we can talk about New Zealand, Belize, Australia, The Bahamas, part of Canada . . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-17-2018 at 05:12 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #1236
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Suspended. See my posts below.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-17-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #1237
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This book appears to be self-published. Are you recommending it having personally read it?

Last edited by HarryT; 11-18-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #1238
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This book appears to be self-published. Are you recommending it having personally read it?
I did think about that. It looked suspicious, but I checked the publisher, and it is Amazon Digital Services. I did not think that they published self-pubs.

After taking down the post now, I'll read it immediately, if there is nothing to see but photos, and repost it if I can recommend it.

My first of apologies if I was wrong.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-17-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #1239
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

ADDENDUM: There is writing, largely captions. But I'll read it now; it is one that would have wanted to read "sometime," anyway.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-17-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #1240
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I'm deleting it:
- No publisher stated inside.
- Photographs interesting, but grainy (from low-res scanning?).
- There is more writing than I expected, and it is not well written.
It has the marks of being a self-pub.

Probably "Digital Services," after "Amazon," should be considered a red flag?

My apologies, again. I'll watch out for that more carefully.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #1241
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I'm deleting it:
- No publisher stated inside.
- Photographs interesting, but grainy (from low-res scanning?).
- There is more writing than I expected, and it is not well written.
It has the marks of being a self-pub.

Probably "Digital Services," after "Amazon," should be considered a red flag?

My apologies, again. I'll watch out for that more carefully.
It is also not available for e-ink kindles.

I think all indies are listed as sold by Amazon Digital Services. They may be a small percentage, but aren't there quite a few first rate authors that are self published?

For this book, one has to wonder whether the author, who does not have an amazon author page, has the rights to publish the photos.

How large do the photos display? If they are large, they should have been resized to fit a 6" to 8" screen. The quality should improve and would presumably be available for e-ink devices.

I think that no paper edition is a bigger red flag. (Someday that might not be the case.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #1242
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Pre-order price $4.99 (Price to go up on Tuesday, November 20)

WRECKING CREW: Demolishing the Case Against Steven Avery by John Ferek

Quote:
In 2016-17, while working for the USA TODAY NETWORK’s Wisconsin Investigative Team, author John Ferak wrote dozens of articles examining the murder case again Steven Avery, who had already beat one wrongful conviction only to be charged with the murder of Teresa Halbach in 2005. The case became the wildly successful Netflix “Making A Murderer” documentary.

In WRECKING CREW: Demolishing The Case Against Steven Avery, Ferak lays out in exacting detail the post-conviction strategy of Kathleen Zellner, the high-profile, high-octane lawyer, to free Avery. To write this book, Zellner, perhaps America’s most successful wrongful conviction attorney, gave Ferak unique access to the exhaustive pro bono efforts she and her small suburban Chicago law firm dedicated for a man she believes to be a victim of an unscrupulous justice system in Manitowoc County.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JKKRRMJ/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WRECKING-CR...dp/B07JKKRRMJ/
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #1243
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Deleted.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #1244
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I have run into quite a few self-pub ebooks that give the name of the self-publishing company as the name of the publisher. There are so many self-pub companies and so many small traditional-type publishers now, that I often have to check the web to try to determine if each one is a traditional-type publisher or not.

Again, I didn't know that Amazon had a self-publishing division (but why shouldn't they--they have "everything from A to Z, right?"). Hard lesson learned. I'll ignore all of the ADS books from now on.

I am a friend of a gentleman who is a 4-time-published, first-rate academic author. He tried the major publisher route on his first two books, but on the last two books he went the self-pub route. Why did he change? Basically the major publishers had charged so many fees, etc. that there was just about no money left for him! So, if he is any indication, there are some very good authors who are self-pubs.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:46 AM   #1245
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I am a friend of a gentleman who is a 4-time-published, first-rate academic author. He tried the major publisher route on his first two books, but on the last two books he went the self-pub route. Why did he change? Basically the major publishers had charged so many fees, etc. that there was just about no money left for him! So, if he is any indication, there are some very good authors who are self-pubs.
Nobody is saying otherwise. Unfortunately, however, the majority of self-published books do not fall into this category, hence our requirement that self-published books only be advertised in these threads on the basis of personal recommendation.