Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So were you possibly sending things that Amazon construed as being illegal or infringing? Maybe one of your authors had uploaded a book that, while legal in their country of origin, was not legal in the US?

Shari
No. What they told us was that commercial use of their "Personal Documents" feature was not allowed. So because we have some books that are non-free, that users purchase from us, we can't send to your Kindle device emails, because our books are not considered "Personal Documents".

Last edited by nikkie; 11-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
No. What they told us was that commercial use of their "Personal Documents" feature was not allowed. So because we have some books that are non-free, that users purchase from us, we can't send to the your Kindle device emails, because our books are not considered "Personal Documents".
The terms of use that you linked to flatly contradicts that. From the link you posted:
Quote:
Kindle Personal Documents Distributor Terms of Use
Terms of Use

The Kindle Personal Documents Service (the "Service") allows Kindle customers to send personal documents and authorize others to send personal documents to their Kindle accounts. Your use of the Service to send documents to Kindle customers is subject to these Terms (the "Terms").

Permitted Uses

Subject to your compliance with these Terms, you may use the Service to send documents to a Kindle customer’s Send-to-Kindle e-mail address only as directed to do so by a Kindle customer. You may use the Service only as permitted by law.

No Commercial or Illegal Use

You may not charge directly or indirectly to distribute content via the Service. You may not use the Service to send infringing, unauthorized, or otherwise illegal content.

Site Policies, Modification, and Termination of Service

Please review our other policies posted on the www.amazon.com site, including the web site Conditions of Use. These policies also govern your use of the Service, except to the extent that they conflict with these Terms. We may make changes to our site, policies, and these Terms at any time. We may discontinue the Service or your participation in the Service at any time in our sole discretion. The permission we grant you to use the Service automatically terminates if you do not comply with these Terms.
That clearly says that you can send a document to a Kindle customer, as long as the customer has given you permission. Commercial use is clearly defined as charging "directly or indirectly to distribute content via the Service"

Sorry to keep harping on this...I just find it very odd that Smashwords is the only company that Amazon decided was infringing, if they weren't charging extra or sending infringing/illegal content.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

@shalym: That is what they told us when we were contacted by their lawyer. We obviously didn't think we were violating anything either, or we wouldn't have made the feature in the first place.

They quote this: "You may not charge directly or indirectly to distribute content via the Service". We don't charge for delivery, but we do sell books.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
@shalym: That is what they told us when we were contacted by their lawyer. We obviously didn't think we were violating anything either, or we wouldn't have made the feature in the first place.

They quote this: "You may not charge directly or indirectly to distribute content via the Service". We don't charge for delivery, but we do sell books.
Do you charge the same for Kindle books that you do for epub books? Selling a book and sending it to someone's kindle via email is the way it's supposed to work...and the way it always has for other companies. That is NOT prohibited according to the terms as quoted. Again, charging money for books is not prohibited. What is prohibited is charging for distribution in any way, which would include any sort of surcharge for mobi format books. (that would be the "indirect" charge)

I'm sorry that Smashwords got notified by a lawyer, I just wonder (again) why it hasn't happened to the other companies doing the same thing.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
nikkie
Guru

We do not charge in any way whatsoever for sending books. You pay for the book once and get access to all formats. Delivery to your Kindle or Dropbox is completely without any additional cost or strings from us.
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
As far as I know it is not a new policy. We were not aware that it affected our use of the Send to Kindle feature until they contacted us referring to their Terms of Use and indicated that it was not allowed. I was very surprised that it affected our use as O'Reilly technical books has a similar feature that ships books to your Kindle on purchase.

We were very disappointed to have to pull this feature as, for many users, sideloading is too technically involved. I know I would never be able to teach my grandmother how to sideload a book to the Kindle Fire that I bought her for Christmas.
It seems odd, though if I read it correctly, people can still download the book and then email it to their Kindle themselves. I know it's an extra step, but it's still probably easier than sideloading over USB.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
It seems odd, though if I read it correctly, people can still download the book and then email it to their Kindle themselves. I know it's an extra step, but it's still probably easier than sideloading over USB.
That's true. I haven't quite gotten to "attachments" yet with my grandma. I'm terrified what will happen when I do.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That's true. I haven't quite gotten to "attachments" yet with my grandma. I'm terrified what will happen when I do.
Best to show her how to use the Send To Kindle add on where you just right click on the book and choose Send To Kindle. It's soo much easier than emailing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have downloaded from Smashwords directly from my Kindle using the Kindle's browser. It wasn't a pleasant experience, the Kindle's browser wasn't made for it.

But how about this: Make a simplified web interface so it could be viewed on the Kindle without having to zoom in. You log in, and you have a list of your books in your Smashwords library for you to download to your Kindle. Does Smashwords have a mobile web page?

Have you considered a mobile website - m.smashwords.com.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 11-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have downloaded from Smashwords directly from my Kindle using the Kindle's browser. It wasn't a pleasant experience, the Kindle's browser wasn't made for it.

But how about this: Make a simplified web interface so it could be viewed on the Kindle without having to zoom in. You log in, and you have a list of your books in your Smashwords library for you to download to your Kindle. Does Smashwords have a mobile web page?

Have you considered a mobile website - m.smashwords.com.
Ssssssh don't give away all our surprises!

Kidding. We do have a mobile version of the website that is triggered if you're on a known mobile device (iOS and Android phones). You should see some significant improvements to device and screen resolution handling in the next few months.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It sounds to me like Amazon just likes being difficult. I mean if I purchase a book doesn't that file become my personal document? I mean I've paid for the copy after all. And Amazon did make the "send to kindle" app so what do they expect it's going to be used for? Books that we buy from Amazon don't require it as they are stored in the Kindle cloud by default. Do they seriously think that all the books that people upload to their cloud space as personal documents are totally free ebooks? That would be like someone telling you that you can only drive your car on certain roads at certain times.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
nikkie
Guru

If you head over to Smashwords this morning, you've find we've just released eDelivery 2.0. Here are the highlights:

Adds email as a destination for your books to be sent to. We will always send your books from edelivery@smashwords.com *hint, hint*
Adds the ability to configure the formats sent to destinations including dropbox
Adds the ability to configure the email address that books are sent to
Adds the ability to send book samples
Adds the send button to the book action control box, as long as the book is free, a sample is available, or the user has bought the book.

We hope this makes it easier than ever to get books to your tablets.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I was just over there and noticed all of that. Thought I'd missed it since I'd been away from there a while, but guess I might have been lucky to catch the update fresh

Saw more over there that I have to head back and pick up later. Nice work!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #29
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Very nice job!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #30
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Just wanted to say that I have been using the send to Dropbox on my Kobo and on my tablet - I absolutely love it. Beats the stuffing out of trying to find a cord. Gutenberg has it too. Definitely recommend it.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, dropbox, kindle, smashwords