Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #61
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
the chapter headers are too small.
If the header text-size is your issue:
Stylesheet:

h3.chapter {font-size: 115%}

Usage:
<h3 class="chapter"> Looks about the same as H2</h3>

<h3>Chapter X <br /> A second line in the book and as a single line in the TOC</h3>
(you have to include a space or the lines runs together in the TOC)

Last edited by theducks; 04-04-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: text->font fixed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #62
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Stylesheet:

h3.chapter {text-size: 115%}

Usage:

<h3>Chapter X <br /> A second line in the book and as a single line in the TOC</h3>
(you have to include a space or the lines runs together in the TOC)
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Great minds, etc etc.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #63
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Ithen the structure of the book is not seen until the little arrow next to the PART is clicked by the reader and the chapter headers are too small.
That's entirely a reading software issue. If you don't like how a particular software/reader displays the TOC, you have a problem with that software, but that's not a reason to break the structure of the TOC.

Quote:
By simply putting in four (4) spaces (spspspspCHAPTER) the toc is shown with structure and (at least to me) looks much better.
But you are only worrying about how it "looks", not about the structure. The information that keeps several chapters inside a part is lost.

Quote:
Take a look at the toc in the attched ePub.
OK. Take a look at the attached screenshot (the first one). It's not a widespread reader, it's just the output of my script to convert ePUB into HTML. Since the TOC is flat, it's displayed flat (and leading spaces are dropped by HTML).

Now look at the second screenshot, it's with the correct structure. The style may not be too nice, but at least it keeps the structure.

Quote:
When I build an inline toc, I am very concerned about structure. I have the same concerns in an ePub toc. The next thing I have to figure out is putting in blank line between sections.
Then create a TOC with the correct structure, and let the reader do the styling, indenting, collapsing and whatnot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.png
Views:	208
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	69485   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	223
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	69486  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #64
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Stylesheet:

h3.chapter {text-size: 115%}

Usage:
It's font-size, and it only looks the same if h2 uses the same number

To avoid surprises, it's always better not to trust defaults and set the important things yourself, in this case at least: font-size, margin, text-align, font-weight.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #65
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
The h-elements were designed for style.
Thats nonsense. Style is given by the stylesheet. Either the browser-stylehseet, the user stylesheet or at least the html associated stylesheet (either inline or separate). hx ist defintly markup, not style.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #66
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
Thats nonsense. Style is given by the stylesheet. Either the browser-stylehseet, the user stylesheet or at least the html associated stylesheet (either inline or separate). hx ist defintly markup, not style.
The h-elements came long before css.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #67
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Perhaps I don't really understand xhtml, but can anyone tell me why

<h3 id="head_3">Introduction</h3>

is not acceptable to Sigil 0.4 (or .3.4)? It is supposed to be not correctly formed and Sigil will automatically 'fix' it if desired.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #68
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Perhaps I don't really understand xhtml, but can anyone tell me why

<h3 id="head_3">Introduction</h3>

is not acceptable to Sigil 0.4 (or .3.4)? It is supposed to be not correctly formed and Sigil will automatically 'fix' it if desired.
Bob
Do you have a duplicate id elsewhere in the SAME file?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #69
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the source of my errors: there was another, different, poorly formed tag that seems to have confused Sigil. Once I found and fixed that tag, the problem with the h3 tag went away.

I finally more or less completed my next book using v. 0.4.0, and I must really praise Valloric for a job well done! My document had several mistakes that Sigil pointed out; I manually corrected them and voila!

There was a world of difference between using the old and frustrating v. 0.3.4 and the new improved 0.4.0. Thanks again to Valloric!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #70
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
The h-elements came long before css.
h-ELements are part of html. html = hypertext *markup* language. Thats markup, saying what it is, not how its look like. Thats exaktly the same nonsens as we had 20 years ago.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #71
zafaran
zafaran has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zafaran has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zafaran has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Torch
Love the new beta

This is a general addition to the thread since I've not had any issue yet with Sigil-0.4.0β3-Windows-Setup.exe, and I'm running it on both my desktop at home (Dell Optiplex dual-core pentium with 2 gigs of memory), and my traveling system that I use all the time both at home on wi-fi from my secured router, and away on both wi-fi and a tethered Blackberry with a data package since we have limited wi-fi availability locally (Dell Inspiron 1012 Netbook with Windows 7 with an Atom processor and 1 gig memory). This beta is *much* happier with limited system resources than the earlier versions I was using though I've plans on maxing out the memory on both machines as soon as I have the spare funds.

I've been producing ebooks in one form or another for going on a decade, and the Sigil-0.4.0β3 beta is dealing *very* nicely with how I normally work with my book design once I've done a first pass with NoteTab Pro to clean the files and do a few global search-and-replaces that I can't accomplish in Sigil (or pretty much anything else for that matter). Most of the files I've worked with to stay in practice while I've been home sick have been constructed on just about any crappy HTML editor you can name from the last 15 years (the web is a great resource for bad code sources to practice on), and there is a very great tendency for most or all of the code to be structured with BR tags dumped in a single massive container made of a single P tag or DIV, sometimes with additions of tables just to make more of a mess in the code. NoteTab Pro allows me to replace the BR tags with a string made of Closing P tag, 2 CR/LF codes, and the Opening P tag of the next paragraph which allows me to cleanly set headings for the TOC, and have human-readable code so I can skim the file(s) for any problems that need correction before I run validation on the cleaned code and bring it into Sigil to make the epub.

The ability to open the TOC and OPF files just to double check that the items have picked up correctly so I can go back to the headings and files and make adjustments if I need to is something I've been waiting for since you first mentioned that it was coming in a future version. *Thank you!*

Pat in North Carolina
zafaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #72
bobcdy
Fanatic

Problem with small cap font in v4

I've been working with v4.0 qt 4.7.2 and have finished a pretty complex book with index, endnotes, and a small cap font. All went exceptionally well except at the end when I tried to add the small cap font - all seemed ok in Sigil 4 and the font statement seemed correct and was properly placed in the content.opf, but ADE would not show the small cap font. I then downloaded/installed v3.4 so that both versions are available for use, opened the epub in 3.4, deleted the small cap font and added it again, and the font showed in ADE. Thus the identical font was accepted when installed with Sigil 3.4 but not with Sigil 4. I've repeated these experiments several times and included trying to install another just downloaded small cap font.

It seems that v4 has a problem with imported fonts. It isn't fatal because it's easy to use v3.4 in the final stage of completion, but is a bit odd. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #73
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I've been working with v4.0 qt 4.7.2 and have finished a pretty complex book with index, endnotes, and a small cap font. All went exceptionally well except at the end when I tried to add the small cap font - all seemed ok in Sigil 4 and the font statement seemed correct and was properly placed in the content.opf, but ADE would not show the small cap font. I then downloaded/installed v3.4 so that both versions are available for use, opened the epub in 3.4, deleted the small cap font and added it again, and the font showed in ADE. Thus the identical font was accepted when installed with Sigil 3.4 but not with Sigil 4. I've repeated these experiments several times and included trying to install another just downloaded small cap font.

It seems that v4 has a problem with imported fonts. It isn't fatal because it's easy to use v3.4 in the final stage of completion, but is a bit odd. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Create an issue on the tracker. That's the only way Valloric can fix it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #74
bobcdy
Fanatic

I think I found the problem:

If I enter the following in my css for an epub using Sigil 3.4:

@font-face {font-family: "Gv Petite Caps.ttf";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/Gv Petite Caps.ttf);}

This epub shows the Petite Cap in Adobe DE

If I then open the file using Sigil 4.0 the css petite cap statement becomes upon opening:

@font-face {font-family: "Gv Petite Caps.ttf";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: ../Fonts/Gv Petite Caps.ttf);}

Upon saving with S4, the new epub does not show the Petite Cap in ADE.

One can correct the error using Sigil 4 and save, and the resulting epub shows the Petite Cap in ADE, but on reopening the file with Sigil 4, the error is again created.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #75
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Again, please create an issue on the tracker. Add your analysis,that would help Valloric.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote