Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 12:02 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Bluefire, Aldiko Basic, Lithium, pocketbook on Android.
Was using Xodo for PDFs, but will use Pocketbook for PDFs not being annotated.

I've used KOReader on Android eink for epubs and on Elipsa for PDFs, but don't need it for PDFs on Kobo now.

I've tried many of the others and found them poor to terrible.

Most epubs are read on a Kobo Sage using native reader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 02:57 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Back in the day, I used Stanza to read PD books on an iPod Touch.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2024, 04:02 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Back in the day, I used Stanza to read PD books on an iPod Touch.
I never could stand Stanza as I found it was very poor at respecting CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 04:19 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never could stand Stanza as I found it was very poor at respecting CSS.
Heh. This was back when Gutenberg books were very iffy. CSS was the least of the issues.

I'm not that fussy (I don't mean that being fussy is a bad thing -- there must be a better word). As long as a book is clean (no typos, weird line breaks, etc.) I don't care. And yes, I do think nicely formatted books are better and add to the subliminal (subliminal for me) appeal, but most CSS issues are background for me. They're far from making me nuts. I just have different issues.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:22 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I just have different issues.
Would you mind elaborating what issues are those? Not for argument, I'm genuinely interested. You're one of the folks I really like and respect here, so I always read your opinions with interest, even though they're often different from my own.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2024, 07:36 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Originally Gutenberg ebooks didn't even have separate css.
Mobi is really HTML3 with inline styles.
And before that they didn't have mobi. They did start in 1972 and I was downloading plain text from them more than 20 years ago.

Early Mobipocket Reader, before they added the mobi format and that was before Amazon bought them in 2005, didn't do styles at all. They sold ebooks for Palm OS, Symbian and Windows CE. So the Kindle 1 was obsolete ebook software in 2007 when it came out. The precusor to epub2 was in 1998, but Gutenberg never used that. Eventually they added epub2 and HTML and renamed mobo to Older Kindles.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-13-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:45 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Originally Gutenberg ebooks didn't even have separate css.
Mobi is really HTML3 with inline styles.
And before that they didn't have mobi. They did start in 1972 and I was downloading plain text from them more than 20 years ago.

Early Mobipocket Reader, before they added the mobi format and that was before Amazon bought them in 2005, didn't do styles at all. They sold ebooks for Palm OS, Symbian and Windows CE. So the Kindle 1 was obsolete ebook software in 2007 when it came out. The precusor to epub2 was in 1998, but Gutenberg never used that. Eventually they added epub2 and HTML and renamed mobo to Older Kindles.
I thought the precursor to ePub was LIT format which I think came out in late 2000.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:21 AM   #23
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I went from B&N NST through all the B&N models before jumping ship for Onyx Poke3 & Poke5.
I've been using my own custom reader for a decade now.
It's "lean and mean" and probably wouldn't suit anyone else.
The one unique feature it has is one button toggling between text and footnotes.
That's using my custom 4 button Bluetooth key fob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader0.png
Views:	58
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	206433  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:54 PM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I went from B&N NST through all the B&N models before jumping ship for Onyx Poke3 & Poke5.
I've been using my own custom reader for a decade now.
Fascinating!
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:37 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I read comics on an app. I convert all my purchases to .cbz files and use an Android app called Perfect Viewer. I've been using it for... a decade?

I've never used an app for books. I wasn't really interested in ebooks until I bought my first e-ink device.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-20-2024 at 09:41 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:52 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wasn't really interested in ebooks until I bought my first e-ink device.
Yep, same. On rare occasions I do read on my phone, usually because I don't carry my eink readers with me (I have no car and they might break, get lost or stolen etc). But I've always preferred eink for books. OTOH, I read web articles, news and stuff on my phone/tablet/laptop all the time. Just not books.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:30 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I wasn't interested in buying ebooks until I bought my first eink device, but I'd been reading public domain ebooks for years before that.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:01 AM   #28
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
at the time got my first ereader (kindle generation 4 ) . a lot of people in my neck of the woods hadnt heard of kindles. Apps i started off with kindle for pc . 2. Freda app for windows 10. it then was updated and text to speech became a pain on it. I now switch between Cool reader and Calibre reader. Cool reader has a lot more text to speech voices.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:10 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I wasn't interested in buying ebooks until I bought my first eink device, but I'd been reading public domain ebooks for years before that.
Me too.
Also I didn't buy an eink ereader to buy ebooks, but proof MSS from Word & LO Writer, via mobi, then azw3, then epub. Also of course to read the PD ebooks, which I still think is best reason to buy one.
Buying 40 reprint PD classics can cost twice the price of a 6″ reader and an 8″ Sage with 3rd party pen can be cheaper. Any keen reader of Hugh Walpole to Conan Doyle, of Romance, Detective, Adventure, SF, Fantasy, Children's classics Gothic or horror can easily find thousands of PD ebooks on Gutenberg in just one of those genres and "tidy" them, if desired, with Calibre. Mac, Windows or Linux and without a PC and Calibre the downloads are still possible, even on an Android phone with OTG adaptor, file manager and an ereader with USB Mass Storage and no WiFi.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:45 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
at the time got my first ereader (kindle generation 4 ) . a lot of people in my neck of the woods hadnt heard of kindles. Apps i started off with kindle for pc . 2. Freda app for windows 10. it then was updated and text to speech became a pain on it. I now switch between Cool reader and Calibre reader. Cool reader has a lot more text to speech voices.
Cool Reader doesn't respect the CSS well enough. That's where it goes wrong.