Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2024, 09:10 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Getting My eBook Act Together - Finally

I've been terrible about consistently using Calibre to organize my ebooks. Mostly I've used it just for liberating my Amazon books. Which is frustrating with it "works, breaks, works, breaks" over the years. I have it working again - but I'm finally moving past that.

One of the things I desire most is to have my ebubs organized into Series. The default "download metadata" doesn't do a good job. Thanks to ChatGPT, I learned there is a GoodReads plugin.

So I set the metadata download to JUST update the series and to use Goodreads - and it's working nicely.

I'm also using multiple libraries. I have a "clean things" library where I work on whatever set of files until I'm happy. Then I merge those books into my master library.

Of course, this assumes my computer remains stable. I hope it will. I don't plan on upgrading it for years.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:23 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I hear you. I'm a troglodyte when it comes to using calibre as well. I use it as well to liberate amazon books and it's horribly disorganized. But it works so I leave it along. I have a version and DeDRM plugin that works and whenever it asks me to update I pass. Better the devil you know...
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2024, 06:03 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I've been terrible about consistently using Calibre to organize my ebooks. Mostly I've used it just for liberating my Amazon books. Which is frustrating with it "works, breaks, works, breaks" over the years. I have it working again - but I'm finally moving past that.

One of the things I desire most is to have my ebubs organized into Series. The default "download metadata" doesn't do a good job. Thanks to ChatGPT, I learned there is a GoodReads plugin.

So I set the metadata download to JUST update the series and to use Goodreads - and it's working nicely.

I'm also using multiple libraries. I have a "clean things" library where I work on whatever set of files until I'm happy. Then I merge those books into my master library.

Of course, this assumes my computer remains stable. I hope it will. I don't plan on upgrading it for years.
It's eventually going to stop working nicely as Goodreads is chock full of errors in the series info. You could have errors already that you just don't know about. I suggest you double check everything that comes from Goodreads or stop using it for your metadata as you'll be double checking anyway if you want accurate data.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-07-2024 at 06:38 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:54 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I wonder why that is? As I recall, the only time I've had calibre "break" (and I update it) is when I purchase a new reader (Kobo).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wonder why that is? As I recall, the only time I've had calibre "break" (and I update it) is when I purchase a new reader (Kobo).
There was a time when the Calibre update (from 4.x to 5) broke the deDRM. And of course all the Amazon shenanigans - older Kindle apps forcibly updating, no longer downloading new books and so on. Download & Transfer has worked all along, but that's only available to eink Kindle owners.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2024, 08:46 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Even when getting a new Kobo, I've never had calibre break.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:52 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The OP obviously meant that liberating their Amazon books broke, not Calibre.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:28 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's eventually going to stop working nicely as Goodreads is chock full of errors in the series info. You could have errors already that you just don't know about. I suggest you double check everything that comes from Goodreads or stop using it for your metadata as you'll be double checking anyway if you want accurate data.
Do you have a better alternative? I'm all ears
Old 02-07-2024, 10:31 AM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Oh...things like a Calibre update that isn't compatible with the drm plugin. The kindle app updating itself even when you have it set not to. Switching computers and having to relearn how to get it all working again.

I've written my own documentation now so that I can remember without having to relearn and refigure out. We will see how long it holds.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:33 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Download & Transfer has worked all along, but that's only available to eink Kindle owners.
Yep, that's how I have it working. I had bought a older kindle paper white some time ago and gave it to my daughter. My new paperwhite doesn't work.

Plus you have to remember to log the older kindle's serial number into the plugin settings, a step I had forgotten. And then when "Download to USB", you have to remember which of your many kindle devices is the right one
Old 02-07-2024, 10:34 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
The OP obviously meant that liberating their Amazon books broke, not Calibre.
Correct.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:03 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you consider "break". Maybe not calibre itself, but when a new model Kobo comes out, doesn't the plugin need to be updated to get the full plugin functionality?
Old 02-07-2024, 11:15 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There was a time when the Calibre update (from 4.x to 5) broke the deDRM.
Since I don't normally update calibre (or the plugins) I most likely missed that. I'm currently on calibre 6.22.

Quote:
And of course all the Amazon shenanigans - older Kindle apps forcibly updating, no longer downloading new books and so on. Download & Transfer has worked all along, but that's only available to eink Kindle owners.
I'm over the Amazon DRM thing. If they want to make it difficult, I'll buy somewhere else.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:21 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Since I don't normally update calibre (or the plugins) I most likely missed that. I'm currently on calibre 6.22.
It was fixed soon enough, so you may have missed it. But there was a lot of hullabaloo in the calibre forum, by folks who did update. Fortunately there were temporary workarounds.

Quote:
I'm over the Amazon DRM thing. If they want to make it difficult, I'll buy somewhere else.
I still buy from them occasionally. There are three working methods at the moment, and I like to keep informed about everything concerning DRM in any case, so I do visit both Kindle and Calibre forums regularly.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:22 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I guess it depends on what you consider "break". Maybe not calibre itself, but when a new model Kobo comes out, doesn't the plugin need to be updated to get the full plugin functionality?
There is a check box "[ ] attempt to use newer firmware". That will work with a newer unknown Kobo if the database aspects used are unchanged.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote