Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
How do I notify someone about an illegitimate/pirate Kindle listing?

I got a notification from Amazon that an author I follow had released a book.

I am pretty sure that this ebook listing for Michael Moorcock's The Dancers at the End of Time omnibus is not legitimate, as I can't find it on any other vendor (e.g. Kobo, B&N, Google Play, etc):

https://www.amazon.com/Dancers-at-En...dp/B0C1SSJT1C/

The publisher is not listed, which is suspicious. The cover image listing "SF Masterworks" makes me think it's an OCR scan of one of the SF Masterworks series by Gollancz / Gateway, but I'm pretty sure that Gateway doesn't sell an ebook omnibus version. If I check Kobo UK, the Gateway prints are the individual titles. See:
https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-alien-heat
https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-hollow-lands
https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-end-of-all-songs

Long story short, I'm pretty sure this is a pirate copy. Which is a bummer, because I'm pretty sure this is the only way a US-based reader can purchase these titles at the moment in a digital format. It would also be cheaper than buying all three individual titles from Kobo UK using the Billing Address/geolocation trick after currency conversion. But I figure, if my money isn't even going to the author, what's the point?

I assume Amazon doesn't give a hoot about this, because they're still making money off it, so whom should I notify? Gateway? Moorcock himself?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:33 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think your best options are to notify the original publisher (Gollanz) and the author itself. There is already a review saying that it is probably a pirate copy in the page.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2024, 01:07 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There were several paper editions of this omnibus. I see someone in India is suspicious because of the formatting, but even legitimate older titles are usually from OCR with less than perfect formatting.

It's odd the publisher isn't on the details list. It's not impossible for a large publisher to publish on Amazon only for an ebook.

Contact the publisher if in doubt.

This is Amazon copyright violation link
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:58 PM   #4
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
It's stated that it's "sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC" if you search the novel. It could be pirated, it could also be self published by the author himself. It is cheap, but considering that he gets nothing from sale of used books, it's still something.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 07:28 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
It's stated that it's "sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC" if you search the novel. It could be pirated, it could also be self published by the author himself. It is cheap, but considering that he gets nothing from sale of used books, it's still something.
That would only work if the rights had reverted to the author. Looking at the ebook cover on Amazon seems to show it as being published by S. F. Masterworks which is also what the sample from Amazon.ca shows. Checking the S. F. Masterworks Wikipedia page, shows that as #54 but that page does not show ebook editions.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert