Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #46
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought that teachers used "class" when addressing students
In my experience, using "class" was the friendly way to address students. Using "people" was the scolding and controlling way. Which is probably why I am not terribly receptive to issybird's suggestion to use that word. We all have different life experiences that determine our interpretation of things. Which just reinforces my point about "majority rule". If I find myself in a locale where it is common to address a group as "People", I will start doing that. Because then it would be considered the common, normal and accepted term. I could point out to others that I find that word offensive with connotations of scolding, but what's the point? Nobody would understand, or care. So I shouldn't take offense at it. I should just adopt this common term (for the locale) myself and be done with it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:09 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I was thinking it was going to be the teacher clip from MIB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2024, 06:09 PM   #48
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm. I take it you're a man. There's no way it would not feel offensive if you're a woman.
I honestly have to disagree with that statement. Possibly in your location women may be offended by the word "guys". But not anywhere that I've been.

My wife uses "guys" all the time. Maybe more so than I do. She might be addressing her nursing staff, or the ice hockey team that she is captain of, or any random group. Doesn't matter - it's always "guys". We live in Colorado (central USA).

My daughter also uses "guys" much more than anything else. She could be addressing her free diving buddies, the fencing class she teaches, rock climbers she instructs, or her swimming class students. All of these groups are mixed sex. And she lives in Hawaii (central Pacific Ocean). Definitely different cultures between her area and our area. But "guys" is the norm in both places when people speak of groups. (Rock climbing is not a common sport in Hawaii, nor is swordplay for that matter, but she's always been a leading edge person.)

In my experience, "guys" is the word that is used everywhere, with nobody ever taking offense to it. True, I have never been to Estonia, although I would love to visit the Baltic States sometime. Pictures I have seen are beautiful. Don't know if I'll ever get there though. But I will take your advice to heart if I even do make it, and not use the word "guys" to describe a group. You always want to respect the cultural norms of a place you are visiting.

But if someone wants to push "guys" as the newest word that we have to avoid here in the US, I'm afraid that this endeavor may be a difficult hill for them to climb. It's pretty entrenched in everyday language in my experience, and not generally considered offensive in the slightest by anybody.

Last edited by haertig; 01-21-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:02 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
While "guys" might feel mildly offensive to some people, it has been used here by several posters and no one has made a fuss about it. The word that caused the current outcry and this thread, was "men". I have never seen anyone addressing a mixed group as "men" either here or elsewhere, by native English speakers or others. Moreover, the poster used it twice in two different threads and when another poster asked them (politely) not to use it anymore, they just replied "Let's chill". That seemed pretty provocative to me. Not like someone who used the word "men" innocently - why not apologize and explain in that case? It must have been clear people found it offensive.

I guess it's possible the poster is from a culture where men and women really do use different forums and didn't expect to actually meet women here... who knows, as they didn't explain what they meant by "men".
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #50
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You All is a southern US term. It's usually shortened to Y'all.
Y'all is a contraction of You All. I have never heard a southern person say You All. The only times I ever heard You All used was in movies or on television. Some actor pretending to be southern with an atrocious accent.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2024, 07:11 PM   #51
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
The word that caused the current outcry and this thread, was "men".
That was true of the first three posts in this thread. But then the thread got redirected to the word "guys" right after that.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:19 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That was true of the first three posts in this thread. But then the thread got redirected to the word "guys" right after that.
Heh. Must have slipped my notice.

Anyway, I meant specifically the word "men" as used by that unfortunate poster when I commented on how any woman would feel offended by such an address in a mixed group. "Guys" I have seen several times by now and while it still feels somewhat weird to me, I've also noticed not many people have taken offense, so it must be common in some English-speaking areas at least. "Men", OTOH, caused an universal reaction here.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:34 PM   #53
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Y'all is a contraction of You All. I have never heard a southern person say You All.
Very true. I can't say that I remember hearing "You all" without the contraction much either. But I have heard some people say "Y'all all". And even "Hey everybody, y'all all come over here!" That's a very friendly sounding way of talking, to my ear at least. Technically, it does sound like something that might have come from The Department of Redundancy Department though.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:06 PM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The word that caused the current outcry and this thread, was "men".
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
You must not have read the first post carefully enough. "men" and "guys" have had a part from the beginning. This thread was started to find whether some language has a word analogous to a sense of "guys", technically male, but commonly meant as mixed and there is at least one translation instance that translates it to English as "men". I specifically wrote that the mixed gender use of "guys" in English is acceptable in at least some circles in at least some contexts, which left open the possibilities that it is either always acceptable or that it is sometimes not acceptable. It turns out to be the latter.

And completely on topic posts have continued despite the various tangents and divergences. There has been no redirection (yet).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:09 PM   #55
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I didn't realize this thread was a diversion from a thread in which a poster addressed the readers as "men." Can someone provide a link to that thread?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:12 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I didn't realize this thread was a diversion from a thread in which a poster addressed the readers as "men." Can someone provide a link to that thread?
There were two, actually:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=358487
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357805
Old 01-21-2024, 08:31 PM   #57
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I specifically wrote that the mixed gender use of "guys" in English is acceptable in at least some circles in at least some contexts, which left open the possibilities that it is either always acceptable or that it is sometimes not acceptable.
Does this not open the thread up to a discussion regarding the use of the word "guys" then? I do not see your words above in any way limiting the discussion to the word "men". Quite the opposite actually.

So this thread is about the usage of "guys" OR the usage of "men". ANd that is the way I interpreted it. My use of the word "redirect" was in error, your intention all along was to talk about both words. I'm fine with that. That's exactly how I perceived it. I just stated my sentence to @Sirtel incorrectly.

I should not have said "... the thread got redirected to the word 'guys'". I should have said, "This thread was always about the word 'guys' (and 'men' too)". Sorry. My error.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM   #58
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Y'all is a contraction of You All. I have never heard a southern person say You All. The only times I ever heard You All used was in movies or on television. Some actor pretending to be southern with an atrocious accent.
Apache
My southern mother said 'you all'. She thought it was classier than y'all.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:18 AM   #59
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think both are a cultural niche. I don't see either widespread here, nor remember it when I was in England.

Regional variations

In England it's rude to refer to adult women as girls, even if they are young. etc.
Unless it is an regional usage or a recent trend I have never heard that calling a group of women "girls" in an informal situation being labelled rude, at least in Yorkshire. In a more formal situation "ladies" would probably be used as more appropriate..

"Guys" for a mixed group, I have heard but that was only at work in the decade before I retired. It was more usual to address a mixed group as people.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:25 AM   #60
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Starting a post with 'Guys' is hardly objectionable at all, unlike starting it with 'Men'.
Only for the last couple hundred years. "Man" and "Men" once had a meaning similar to "person". During the English Civil War a pamphlet was published by John Lilburne an in it he refers to "male men" and "female men".
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote