Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2024, 02:29 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Informal English usage and possible translation issues

For better or worse, for some reason, it has become acceptable to informally address or refer to a mixed gender group as "guys" in at least some circles in at least some contexts.

Are there any languages with a word with the same usage, and translation mechanisms (dictionary, software, other) that would map that word to "men"?

I'm assuming there many translation mechanism language combinations which map an inherently male informal reference to "men", but that is not in the scope of this thread.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:02 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Just from curiosity, I tried with Google Translate and a few Estonian words, but I never got "men" as a result. I got either "guys" or "people" or "humans". Unless I used the direct equivalent of the word "men", meaning adult male humans.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 03:06 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For better or worse, for some reason, it has become acceptable to informally address or refer to a mixed gender group as "guys" in at least some circles in at least some contexts.

Are there any languages with a word with the same usage, and translation mechanisms (dictionary, software, other) that would map that word to "men"?
I think both are a cultural niche. I don't see either widespread here, nor remember it when I was in England.

Regional variations

In England it's rude to refer to adult women as girls, even if they are young. In Ireland it can be regard as merely friendly, hence 'Fine girl you are'. Not even young or single women, but depends on context. A group of men might be the lads or the boys; there was never the usage of calling an adult servant / slave / serf 'boy' like in Southern USA States.

A woman going out with group of young women in the evening (Ireland), might refer to 'the girls' or curiously 'the lads', but not Lassies, nor the Women, and rarely the Ladies (except golfers?).

It grates to read a post on a form starting 'Men,' and I never saw that till recently, and only by one person.

There are many terms in England used abusively which are not abusive here in Ireland. We have our own local abuse terms here such as Jackeen, Culchie, Tinker, Traveller, Shinner (SF party supporter), Prod, Taig, Fenian, etc.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-20-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:43 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I personally loathe being addressed as "guys" which has even occurred as part of a women-only group. It's been a longstanding objection and I was happy to read recently that it's falling out of favor, as people become more aware of misgendering issues.

There's no justification for the use of it. There's nothing at all wrong with addressing a group of people, whether single or mixed gender, as "you", and avoiding the issue altogether.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:50 PM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
When my daughter was home visiting from college a few years ago, she started addressing my wife and I as "you all".

She had never used that term before she went away to college so I asked about it.

At the time, she was the captain of the college swim team (all women) and she explained that when she spoke to the team, she had found that "guys", "girls" and "women" all resulted in pushback from one or more team members. "You-all" offended no one, apparently.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 04:24 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re: Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There's no justification for the use of it. There's nothing at all wrong with addressing a group of people, whether single or mixed gender, as "you", and avoiding the issue altogether.
Agreed.
And in parts of Ireland
you (or ye) is singular
youse (or you) is plural (I suppose like USA Y'all)
Really 16th C.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:38 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Re: Guys

Agreed.
And in parts of Ireland
you (or ye) is singular
youse (or you) is plural (I suppose like USA Y'all)
Really 16th C.
In some languages (Estonian, Russian, presumably others) the singular you and the plural you are two different words also. It's considered polite to use the plural you with strangers, although this custom is starting to disappear with younger generations.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In some languages (Estonian, Russian, presumably others) the singular you and the plural you are two different words also. It's considered polite to use the plural you with strangers, although this custom is starting to disappear with younger generations.
Perhaps also German and French?
Old 01-20-2024, 04:47 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps also German and French?
I think so, although Google Translate didn't share that opinion and gave me the same translation for both singular and plural you.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:13 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My father was in the military, and I grew up all over the place. My mother was from Northwestern Illinois, and we used to visit whenever possible. I would hang out with my cousins and their friends. The groups were usually a mixture of boys and girls. I thought it was strange that they would always use the term guys when referring to everyone in the group.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:08 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Just from curiosity, I tried with Google Translate and a few Estonian words, but I never got "men" as a result. I got either "guys" or "people" or "humans". Unless I used the direct equivalent of the word "men", meaning adult male humans.
Thank you. It always warms my heart when I see curiosity motivating action.

So I guess the poster using "men" to address is not Estonian.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:25 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A group of men might be the lads or the boys; there was never the usage of calling an adult servant / slave / serf 'boy' like in Southern USA States.
In the SE USA emphatically calling someone well into adulthood and beyond "boy" was by no means limited to targeting people in a subservient position, much less actual slaves. It was common 50 years ago and I doubt that it has completely died out, especially in one on one encounters with no witnesses.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:32 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
When my daughter was home visiting from college a few years ago, she started addressing my wife and I as "you all".

She had never used that term before she went away to college so I asked about it.

At the time, she was the captain of the college swim team (all women) and she explained that when she spoke to the team, she had found that "guys", "girls" and "women" all resulted in pushback from one or more team members. "You-all" offended no one, apparently.
I would have thought that each team would have a long established term.

It is interesting that your daughter had to cast around until hitting something that worked.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:36 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My father was in the military, and I grew up all over the place. My mother was from Northwestern Illinois, and we used to visit whenever possible. I would hang out with my cousins and their friends. The groups were usually a mixture of boys and girls. I thought it was strange that they would always use the term guys when referring to everyone in the group.
Apache
I didn't know the usage went back that far.

I do think that there are a lot of regional usages that are strange and confusing to people from elsewhere.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:36 PM   #15
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
I would have thought that each team would have a long established term.

It is interesting that your daughter had to cast around until hitting something that worked.
I think this was (and still may be) a transition period. And her college was somewhat on the bleeding edge of the transition. Some of the team members, for example, did not want to be identified as female, for example.

(I think the coach, who was of a much earlier generation, continued to address the team as "ladies")
slm is offline   Reply With Quote