Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2024, 07:29 AM   #16
santu6
santu6 began at the beginning.

Device: mi note 5 pro
re: re: re:

You're right, the gap between 13" B&W and 25" color e-readers is a bit frustrating! Currently, there aren't any widely available 13-15" color e-ink devices.
Here's what I know:
Onyx Boox: They offer 13.3" B&W devices like the Max Lumi, but no color options in that size yet.
Dasung: Their color offerings jump from 10.6" to 25.3" with the Paperlike.
E Ink: They're actively developing new color e-paper technologies, but haven't announced any specific 13-15" panels yet.
So, what are your options?
Wait If a 13-15" color e-reader is crucial, holding off for future releases might be your best bet. Both Onyx and Dasung are known for innovation, so it's not out of the question. A 13.3" B&W Onyx Boox like the Max Lumi might offer a great reading experience, or the 10.6" Dasung Paperlike could be a portable color option.
santu6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:36 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by santu6 View Post
E Ink: They're actively developing new color e-paper technologies, but haven't announced any specific 13-15" panels yet.
But these are for retail and unless there is a tecnological 'order-0f-magnitude' breakthrough they will be useless for ereaders.
The desktop screen panels are now pointless compare to paper-like LCD beyond IPS technology. Desktop monitor eink is a dead end. That newer technology will make excellent tablet panels surpassing running life and quality of OLED.
It will be interesting to see how TCL NxtPaper develops and what panels LG, Samsung and Panasonic put in tablets. The best non-glare 4K HDR desktop monitors are now stunning and the Samsung and LG I have are dramatically better than anything I saw recently in Apple's big showroom here. They make my laptops & tablets look like junk.

Where eInk excels is reading text on 4″ to 10″ mono screens. The power spikes with page turn and if no front light, Wifi or BT it's almost zero while you read. It's less power saving for comics / graphic novels as the page turning is more often on an 8″ to 10″ approximate size screen.

I think the only future for colour eink is the ACeP poster panels for retail and the very expensive 10.3″ Kaleido color eink may be the last of them for ereaders.
Approximate Amazon Germany prices, ex Shipping.
TCL NxtPaper 11 (10.9″) 2000 x 1200 colour pixels, matte paper-like LCD, 16M+ shades/hues: €250
(Monochrome text resolution is variably higher in same way as for colour eink as it's a filtered mono LCD panel).

Kaleido 3 eink with about 4000 shades/hues by filtering a mono eink panel.
BigMe InkNote 10.3″ 1240 x 930 colour pixels: €690
BOOX Tablet Note Air 3 C 10.3″ 1240 x 930 colour pixels: €550
BOOX Tablet Note Air 3 Ultra C pro 10.3″ 1240 x 930 colour pixels: €700
PocketBook InkPad Color 3 7.8″ 936 x 702 colour pixels: €340

The 7.8″ is marginal for colour comics/graphic novels. All the colour ink need the front light on indoors and take much more front light power than mono eink. None are as clear / sharp as mono eink to read a regular novel.
An 8″ Sage is 1920 x 1440
A 7″ Libra 2 is 1680 x 1264

Last edited by Quoth; 01-26-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 01:04 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Nxtpaper 11 does sound like good value for you and decent enough, but it's £390 on Amazon UK! Oddly a more reasonable €274 inc shipping to Ireland on Amazon DE.
Is this your model? Same B0C3MG289R ASIN on UK & DE.
https://www.amazon.de/TCL-NXTPAPER-N.../dp/B0C3MG289R
Now 25% off on Amazon DE, thus €199 inc Irish VAT, so I bought one.
Can't figure out what the TCL T-Pen stylus is. I'll test it with MPP/Ntrig/Kobo (I've several makes) and if that fails, a 3rd party Apple Pencil.

It seems a big upgrade on the sub-par NxtPaper 10, which nevertheless had good reviews for ereading.

Existing here:
Kobo Elipsa 1404 x 1872 @227dpi
Kobo Sage 1440 x 1920 @300 dpi
Lenovo Yoga 10 800 x 1280 @149 dpi Android 10, very glossy and slightly purple screen. 256 G SD Card.

Nxtpaper 11 1200 x 2000 approximately 220 dpi Android 13. Takes SD Card.
Because it's full colour and at least 254 greys vs 14 greys of the Elipsa, the apparent sharpness of text is higher, even if there wasn't any kind of subpixel addressing. As it's colour the underlying LCD resolution is either x3:1 higher or x2:2 depending on the filter design.

The biggest cause of eye-strain and headaches with any display is the eyes unconsciously focusing on a reflection, not the light colour (the blue of cheap LCD backlights does no harm and conflicting evidence if it keeps you awake).

It's not as good an aspect ratio for one-up pages as the Elipsa, but decent upgrade of my old tablet which I use for Viber, occasional browsing and colour PDFs.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-26-2024 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:45 AM   #19
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
The Nxtpaper 11 does sound like good value for you and decent enough, but it's £390 on Amazon UK!...
Quote:
Now 25% off on Amazon DE, thus €199 inc Irish VAT, so I bought one.
Can't figure out what the TCL T-Pen stylus is....
Did you buy a case for it as well? If so, which one? According to the TCL website there's an official case, but where can you get it?

I wish somebody would make a tablet in this price range (including an SD-card slot) with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Last edited by SomeSteve; 01-18-2024 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Added a wish.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:18 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Did you buy a case for it as well? If so, which one? According to the TCL website there's an official case, but where can you get it?
The tablet does have a connector for a keyboard, but I don't see it anywhere. Not worried about a cover/case and I never got one for the last tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
I wish somebody would make a tablet in this price range (including an SD-card slot) with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Laptops too. My 2002 1600 x 1200 laptop better to use screen-wise than last two 1920 x1080, esp for PDFs.
The only value for 16:9 is video and not all video is that aspect.
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 08:12 AM   #21
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
The tablet does have a connector for a keyboard, but I don't see it anywhere.
My TCL Nxtpaper 11 doesn't have that. I did see one on the TCL Nxtpaper 12 Pro though (bottom). Your're sure you bought the Nxtpapper 11?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Optional accessories
Flip case, T-Pen (Active), TCL bluetooth keyboard, TP protective film
Somewhere it mentioned Keyboard pogo connection, so perhaps the tablet has just 4 metal dots?
https://www.tcl.com/ie/en/tablets/tcl-nxtpaper-11
That site shows what looks like a docked keyboard, but doesn't mention pogo.

I can't find now where I read that. Obviously any decent BT keyboard will work, but a USB connection via a dock is more reliable and secure.

Perhaps I read it on a review of the nxtpaper 12 pro?

It's definitely the 11!
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B0C3MG289R

Though I don't mind if they send something better as long as they don't want it back!

The T-Pen seems good value, so I ordered it rather than waiting and checking compatibility with others. Unlike Samsung, Apple, Microsoft and Kobo, were the 3rd party ones are cheaper to very much cheaper, the official TCL T-Pen seems cheaper than 3rd party models.

I have multiple USB and BT portable keyboards. One each is decent.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:23 PM   #23
Arconte
Enthusiast
Arconte began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC
Men, what did you do...

This thread wasn't to speak about NXTpaper 🙄 Now this is a mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
Eink doesn't make Carta mono panels between 13.3" and 25.3", so there will not be any Kaleido color screens either because they use Carta as the base. Gallery is a completely different screen (ACeP) but still uses similar/same TFT layers as Carta. It is not likely to be available as in-between sizes either, as 13.3" and 25.3" are what their factories are already producing for TFT layers.
So that's the reason because we can't find any 17" screens. Dissappointing, but at least an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what little it may be worth, I remember reading a couple of items about Fujitsu showing a 13.3" e-note with a Kaleido 3 screen however a couple of other items say that Fujitsu has decided against releasing the colour device. OTOH, GoodeReader still has it for sale though on backorder. OTOH, Linfiny (the people who actually manufacture the Quaderno devices for Fujitsu) still show a 13.3" Kaleido 3 device with a target MP of April 2024. The attached image looks like the pastel effect of a Kaleido 3 screen.

Here is the Fujitsu ( https://goodereader.com/blog/product...-ink-kaleido-3 ), but it has only 80 colored ppi. Certainly not good. Let's see the Linfiny... But without an android it doesn't fitts me.

For what is waiting Onyx? I imagine soon they will release a 13" color display

Quote:
Isn't there an issue with having an even front light at 13.3″? A Kaleido panel needs the front light on and using more power far more often than mono eink, though not as bad as Triton. That's why it's a pastel filter.
I have a Onyx Boox Lumi and don't remember seeing any issue with the light's homogeny You will make me take a closer look the next time I use it.

I have great hopes for Gallery. It is still slow, but is getting faster and faster. If the 4000 colors of Kaleido 3 are almost very good (at least in the Onyx devices), how it will be with the 50.000-60.000 of the gallery? For me it would be enough for sure.
Arconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:43 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

4000 colours is a misnomer. That's the total of all shades, hues and saturations. Also pastel to improve brightness.

Simulated cheap wood pulp comics. No use for decent illustrated books.

Colour eink is tiny niche.

Even basic LCD is 16 Million and HDR is more. The colour enk is so poor and needs so much LED light that decent LCD already out classes it. The amount of front light needed, especially for larger panels, dramatically reduces the advantage of mono eink over LCD.

The future for larger colour mass market devices to read on isn't eink, unless there is a dramatic new technology. It's better tablet LCD panels like NxtPaper, as already exists on 23″ to 32″ 4K HDR desktop screens.

Any approx 13″ Kaleido or Gallery based ereader will be lower resolution than a decent tablet and there will be LCD tablets with no eyestrain. My 23″ desktop 4K LG HDR LCD has no eyestrain, excessive blue, flicker or glare.

If a panel also uses quantum dots for red and green (so called QLED, which are really LCD) then it will also be be able to be bright enough for outdoor use.

I'll be amazed if there is ever a successful and usable Gallery 3 based ereader, though one company is trying. Gallery 3 is similar colour rendition and range to High Color 16 bit graphics 30 years ago. Certainly better colour than Triton or Kaleido, but still about x10 to slow for a page refresh.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-18-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:02 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arconte View Post
Men, what did you do...
This thread wasn't to speak about NXTpaper 🙄 Now this is a mess...
1) Disrepectfull to preface with "Men"
2) The TCL NxtPaper models are specifically aimed at ebook reader/users. There are desktop screens now that make eink for desktop pointless.
3) Query / Title is 'Isn't there any 13" colour device?' People have been answering it.

There are 13″ devices and new better ones coming and eink is not the best colour solution. We once had Mirasol. Gallery 3 is a bistable C M Y electronic paper by the Eink company, but it's different and very slow technology compared to conventional eink, which is slow.

You can report posts that you think contravene the rules.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:23 PM   #26
Arconte
Enthusiast

Quote:
The future for larger colour mass market devices to read on isn't eink, unless there is a dramatic new technology. It's better tablet LCD panels like NxtPaper, as already exists on 23″ to 32″ 4K HDR desktop screens.

Any approx 13″ Kaleido or Gallery based ereader will be lower resolution than a decent tablet and there will be LCD tablets with no eyestrain. My 23″ desktop 4K LG HDR LCD has no eyestrain, excessive blue, flicker or glare.
For me, having 4k resolution it is not that important. With a decent dpi and a fast refresh rate it is enough, and of course, the 60000 Gallery's colours

Quote:
I'll be amazed if there is ever a successful and usable Gallery 3 based ereader, though one company is trying. Gallery 3 is similar colour rendition and range to High Color 16 bit graphics 30 years ago. Certainly better colour than Triton or Kaleido, but still about x10 to slow for a page refresh.

I have hope! This reminds me of when color eInk first appears and everyone said more than 100dpi was not possible, and then appeared 150dpi. I long to see Gallery 3 with a good refresh rate. Let's see if this 2024 they improve it!

I will take a closer look at those NXTPaper devices. Don't know much of them
Old 01-18-2024, 04:34 PM   #27
Arconte
Enthusiast

Quote:
1) Disrepectfull to preface with "Men"
2) The TCL NxtPaper models are specifically aimed at ebook reader/users. There are desktop screens now that make eink for desktop pointless.
3) Query / Title is 'Isn't there any 13" colour device?' People have been answering it.

There are 13″ devices and new better ones coming and eink is not the best colour solution. We once had Mirasol. Gallery 3 is a bistable C M Y electronic paper by the Eink company, but it's different and very slow technology compared to conventional eink, which is slow.

You can report posts that you think contravene the rules.
Just want to say the "Men" in the begginig of my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful
Old 01-18-2024, 05:46 PM   #28
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Just want to say the "Men" in the begginig of my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful
So does that mean that you will stop using it now? Please?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:31 PM   #29
Arconte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So does that mean that you will stop using it now? Please?

Shari
Let's chill
Old 01-19-2024, 11:20 AM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Let's chill
I think that will happen when the toe stepping and shin kicking stops.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote