Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 06:01 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've read one book by Chandler and that was 30 years ago. I didn't enjoy his writing at all...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:23 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'll pile on even more heresy for you:
I've disliked every Stephen King book I've read

Hiding under the bed now...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 06:46 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...will start something new today. I also have some unfinished (by me, not the author) series going, but don't quite feel like reading them at the moment.
I started a mystery novel taking place in 1951, in Leningrad. The author is not Russian, though - it's actually a collaboration by two UK authors, one of whom has lived in Russia for a couple of years, according to the short bio at the end of the book.

The sequel is also out and the third one is coming in May.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:57 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I started a mystery novel taking place in 1951, in Leningrad. The author is not Russian, though - it's actually a collaboration by two UK authors, one of whom has lived in Russia for a couple of years,
This reminds me of the Inpector Kubu series set in Botswana by "Michael Stanley" - two South Africans.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:00 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This reminds me of the Inpector Kubu series set in Botswana by "Michael Stanley" - two South Africans.
I have the first of Kubu on my Kobos, actually, in a "Read Soon" category, but I haven't read it yet.
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 07:19 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I have the first of Kubu on my Kobos, actually, in a "Read Soon" category, but I haven't read it yet.
I enjoyed the series, running snippets past friends who live in Gaborone suggested the duo did a decent job of capturing the place
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:20 PM   #22
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I always have something to read, and if I get in a slump, I will happily reread a favorite series or simply start reading some of my favorite fan fics. I don't even have to be in a slump to reread favorites.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:21 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...running snippets past friends who live in Gaborone suggested the duo did a decent job of capturing the place
That's good to know.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:26 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
After reading a bunch of books (that I did enjoy) to finish a reading challenge, I'm back to reading my way through Raymond Chandler.

I'm on The Long Goodbye, and I just enjoy his writing so much. One of the few authors where I enjoy the writing as much as the story being told.
I'm with you all the way on Chandler: I love the way he writes.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:17 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll pile on even more heresy for you:
I've disliked every Stephen King book I've read

Hiding under the bed now...
Old 01-09-2024, 08:21 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I have the first of Kubu on my Kobos...
That phrase makes me happy.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:24 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Spoiler:
LOL, where do you find those clips?
Old 01-09-2024, 10:03 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
LOL, where do you find those clips?
I read a post that I have some reaction to, use Bing to search for how I feel and search images and look for one that makes me laugh.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:24 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I read a post that I have some reaction to, use Bing to search for how I feel and search images and look for one that makes me laugh.
Nice. I always get a laugh out of them too.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:35 AM   #30
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I always have something to read, and if I get in a slump, I will happily reread a favorite series or simply start reading some of my favorite fan fics. I don't even have to be in a slump to reread favorites.
Yeah, I'm like that too I enjoy rereading favourite books, and favorite parts of books. Like the end of Bujold's Cryoburn, with a nice relaxed garden scene giving us a glimpse of a hopeful future for some of the protagonists, or the beginning of Charles' The Magpie Lord, where protagonist A meets protagonist B for the first time and thinks "He was incredibly unimpressive" (spoiler: looks are deceiving). I especially like rereading authors who do neat things with language, like Charles: "He strolled to a conclusion, as he hardly needed to jump."

Quote:
When I hit one of those, I read some comics/graphic novels. The fact that I now rarely read comics tells me I don't have those slums too often.
I find graphic novels harder to read than just text, for some reason. I have the complete Paper Girls. The plot, world and characters are interesting, and I like the drawing style, but I've only read the first (of 6) albums. (It's time travel/SF starting in the 1980s, and I especially like the 1980s part.)

Last edited by hildea; 01-10-2024 at 01:40 AM.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote