Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 04:58 PM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The post I quoted was in direct reply to one I had made in which I presented the closest possible visual simulation of a physical book shelf.

After I posted an image showing the nearest thing Calibre offers to a depiction of a physical book shelf, the OP responded as above.
Yes. The first post has a picture of the look & feel they were looking for.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:24 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes. The first post has a picture of the look & feel they were looking for.
Ebooks have no spines, so it's not possible to create such a look displaying the actual books in your library.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 08:05 PM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Ebooks have no spines, so it's not possible to create such a look displaying the actual books in your library.
And yet, somehow, the first post shows a digital image with digital representations of spines.

So, when you edit your eBooks, and they are missing the metadata you want, do you just give up?
Old 01-02-2024, 08:11 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This sounds like a great opportunity to install Windows XP and make use of its ability to drag files around into an arbitrary order. You don't even have to line up the icons in a grid, so you can get an optimal simulation of disorganised stacks of books in random spots on the floor!
Perhaps the computer version of the attached image?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookhoard.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	885.0 KB
ID:	205537  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:32 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And yet, somehow, the first post shows a digital image with digital representations of spines.

So, when you edit your eBooks, and they are missing the metadata you want, do you just give up?
So we are seeing a digitally generated image and expected to accept it as representative of reality. Given that original image shows book titles such as Art, Poetry and History while many of the books do not have any text on the spine, that image seems to lack that certain je ne sais quoi as a good example of what you might see on a pbook shelf.

Or are you perhaps suggesting that we should visit a local bookstore and take photos of the spines of any books that we have/might be interested in obtaining/are just blown away by the sheer beauty of the spine.

If you had specified a reliable source for spine images for ebooks as supplied by the publisher/creator/whatever, your post might be worth reading. As it is, your non sequitur about missing metadata is rather laughable. I don't expect my ebooks to come with weight, height, thickness or width as part of their metadata for instance though some of my pbook purchases do have such information available.

I am rather surprised that no one has suggested the OP pay for a copy of Alfa Book Manager. He could enjoy 3-D models of his ebooks.
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 08:52 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Metadata can usually be found on the net. How is a library manager supposed to generate true images of book spines, with the same color as the cover, and thickness matching the length of the book? By magic? Because such an image doesn't usually exist anywhere, not in the book, not in the metadata, not on the publisher's website, so the program can't just extract it. (Yes, some ebooks do have spine images, but the vast majority don't.)

Of course it could generate random spine images and slap the title/author on them. They would have some random color and random thickness not matching either the actual cover or the actual length. The Lord of the Rings could well be as thin as a pencil and a short story as thick as the Bible. Somehow I don't think that is what the OP wants.

The solution would be to create the spine images yourself for the program to use, or to write the necessary code for extracting the color and style of the cover + the length of the book (word count?) from the metadata and converting that information to a picture of an imaginary spine. This last doesn't sound too hard now, does it?

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-02-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:05 PM   #52
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps the computer version of the attached image?
Whoa, whoa! Use a spoiler when posting a glorious image like that! A lot of people here have sensitive eyes, and they might be blinded by the radiant beauty of such an elegant sorting system!
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:53 AM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Whoa, whoa! Use a spoiler when posting a glorious image like that! A lot of people here have sensitive eyes, and they might be blinded by the radiant beauty of such an elegant sorting system!
I rather liked the mix of books, VHS tapes and ghod alone knows what else. The person really knows the any flat surface filing system.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-03-2024 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:09 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer

DNSB, Sirtel, it is nice to see that you are trying to think of solutions instead of saying it can't be done.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:26 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
DNSB, Sirtel, it is nice to see that you are trying to think of solutions instead of saying it can't be done.
It is nice when someone manages to post useful suggestions instead of spending their time posting pie in the sky suggestions with no information as to how their suggestions should be implemented.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:33 PM   #56
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Android reader
Quote:
This makes me curious about where your "here" is - In my country there are exactly ZERO physical bookstores that also offer ebook sales
I meant that most store are from chains, that now have "adapted" and also have and e-store for e-books where you find pretty much the same stuff you can admire in print in the shelf. I do not think I ever saw a physical store that could sell the e-book on the spot.
foice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:36 PM   #57
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Yes, the OP did very explicitly say that:
"missing" yes, willing to go back entirely ... no.

I do not see the point of making these arguments. E-books are more flexible, it's a fact. Now, precisely because they are more flexible in software, I think it is reasonable to ask a _software_ feature about their sorting and organization.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM   #58
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually, that is exactly what I do with series. For instance, J. D. Robb's In Death series has quite a few novellas which interpose between the main books in the series. See the attached image for an example. A prequel would get a series index such as 0.5, etc. the occasional time that there are two shorts between main entries, I use 0.3 and 0.6 as the series index.

Since my ebook collection is currently moving in on 15,000, I need a tool such as calibre to keep track of them. I suppose I could emulate paper books and go back to using a library card catalogue.
Thanks for sharing this. I will definitively use at least a few of these columns. For context, I wish I said that at the beginning, my goal is mostly sorting the most recent books I acquired to then decide what to read next. Thus my sorting is for a limited number of books (10 or so) from a varied group of authors/topics ... Ranking these books in a column "ReadNextScore" seems promising to not miss that one book I have got since a bit longer and do not want to forget ...
Old 01-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #59
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Perhaps the OP could add a custom column with a random number generator filling the column for each book and sorting on that column?

Anyhow, this thread is beginning to reek of the same level of inanity of the "real page numbers" threads.
Can you explain how suggesting to use random numbers for a sort criterion makes the post go away from inanity?
Old 01-03-2024, 04:50 PM   #60
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
I see "look&feel", which to me is more of a visual/GUI thing, then a "physical feel" (as in touch/handle/smell). I think most people are smart enough to figure out they are not going to get the physical feel of books from calibre.
I am shocked by how much you guys argue for the simple fact that I have said that I miss anything at all of physical books. Can you try to be a bit more open-minded and less troll/flame-warriors?

I have just sent a post, that is awaiting for moderation, to explain better my need. In essence I want to have "free sort" for the books that I have acquired recently, say the last month of acquisitions, so that I can sort them **exactly in the stupid&irrational way I feel in that moment** ... At that point my algorithm for sort starts with "no algorithm involved", just sort them for how I feel inspired by the book to read next ... is that a too human ask?

Tags
cover and books, cover art, display