Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Android reader
shelf-like display of the covers of the book in a collection

After purchasing a bunch of e-books they often end up in the folder where i store the files and I have difficulty to visualize all I got. So I was thinking that I could produce some kind of "gallery" image, which can display the ebooks as if they were in a bookshelf, from which I can see the side of the book with its nice graphics similar to the image here
Click image for larger version

Name:	book-shelf-bookstore-indoor-vector-illustration-88746798.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	205509

I was expecting that a library manager like Calibre could have such a feature. I am not able to find it there. Does anybody know how to get such a display of the covers of the book in collection?

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-01-2024 at 04:17 AM.
foice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:21 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Calibre does include a cover browser, and I do recommend that you manage your ebook collection in calibre. It's not quite the format you're looking for though.

Name:	coverbrowser.png
Views:	65
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	205510

There are also plugins for Mac and also I think Windows that will show the cover image of an ePub as the icon for a file in the Finder/File Explorer, which might be more what you're looking for.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2024, 04:33 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Further to the Calibre siplay options, there are background images available for its "cover grid" display that kinda sorta look like faux book shelves. I believe the technical term is "skewed morphic"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	covers.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	205511  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:15 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A skeuomorphic design is a GUI that excessively mimics a real view.
However even my local bookshops have only a few top selling titles displayed face-forward on shelves.

It wastes a lot of space, so annoying when an ereader or app does it with no choice for a list view.

I like the grid-list view in calibre and Kobo "My Books" with the instant reordering and fast search. Many covers are hard to read anyway. More succesful authors on modern covers have a tiny title and huge Author text, which is pointless on search or Author Order.

But choice is good! I'm glad calibre offers both views. The Kobo thumbnails in list view don't take much more height than the Title, Series & Author rows, but the list view thumbnails are too big and too much white space, however it's better than the Kindle Library List view (It also offers list or cover view).

I think a file manger is the worst interface, even if there is an "Icon View". Take note all you Android ereader makers. I'll try KOReader again when it has a real Library interface like Kobo, KIndle or Sony PRS native, or calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:43 PM   #5
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the input on Calibre. I had missed the "Layout" on the bottom right to switch on gallery and cover view. This makes a much nicer view of the covers of my books.

It stil does not have the look&feel of a physical library, to which some of you have alluded, and that I am missing.

Also, it would be nice if the books could be sorted by hand, as you would do in a physical library, not by "tags" or other machine-friendly fields. Any idea about that?
Advert
Old 01-01-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foice View Post
Also, it would be nice if the books could be sorted by hand, as you would do in a physical library, not by "tags" or other machine-friendly fields. Any idea about that?
You can add a custom column and make that your sorting column. (i.e. make a floating point number column, and you can assign arbitrary numbers to your books to make them sort the way you want.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 02:37 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Why would you want to sort ebooks by hand? If you have ten, twenty or fifty ebooks, you might think it's a good idea, but it's impossible when you have hundreds or thousands of ebooks. And with less than a hundred, you'd hardly need a library manager at all.

Frankly I don't get it. If all you want is to emulate paper books, why not buy paper books to begin with?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
It stil does not have the look&feel of a physical library, to which some of you have alluded, and that I am missing.

The only thing that has the look and feel (ESPECIALLY the feel) of a physical ibrary is a physical library. If that is what you are missing, the only solution is to use physical books.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:24 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why would you want to sort ebooks by hand? If you have ten, twenty or fifty ebooks, you might think it's a good idea, but it's impossible when you have hundreds or thousands of ebooks. And with less than a hundred, you'd hardly need a library manager at all.

Frankly I don't get it. If all you want is to emulate paper books, why not buy paper books to begin with?
It's just like all large amounts of data, one does it as one goes along. You like to edit your books: if you have ten, twenty or fifty eBooks, you might think it is a good idea, but hundreds, thousands, ...?

Paper books take up a lot of space, the type may not be big enough, the formatting my not be to a person's liking, ... there are many reasons why people buy eBooks over pbooks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:29 PM   #10
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can add a custom column and make that your sorting column. (i.e. make a floating point number column, and you can assign arbitrary numbers to your books to make them sort the way you want.)
That was my first idea. But then what do you do when you want to add a book between book 34 and book 35? Are you proposing to call it 34.5?
Old 01-01-2024, 03:32 PM   #11
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Why would you want to sort ebooks by hand?
To keep granularity and flexibility that an algorithm can provide only if very well designed. Given the limitations that a GUI necessarily has, why to replicate what everybody does with their own physical book shelf?

Quote:
You suggestion to buy paper books is not very useful.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:35 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It's just like all large amounts of data, one does it as one goes along. You like to edit your books: if you have ten, twenty or fifty eBooks, you might think it is a good idea, but hundreds, thousands, ...?

Paper books take up a lot of space, the type may not be big enough, the formatting my not be to a person's liking, ... there are many reasons why people buy eBooks over pbooks.
I started to edit my ebooks when I already had more than a thousand.

Ebooks have many advantages, but they'll never mimic paper books in all or even most aspects (fortunately, IMO), so it's pretty useless to complain about them not being like physical books. Of course they aren't. They're vastly more flexible. If all you want is that they look, feel and behave like physical objects, then obviously you'd better use actual physical books, as you'll never get what you're missing otherwise.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:39 PM   #13
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

If I may add. I am not a big fan of the "desktop folder" that many OS have in their GUI. But I have to admit that for a limited amounts of files I have seen people organizing their material on the desktop folder quite efficiently. You put what you need where you remember it is and where it needs to be when you need it.

Of course if you put too much stuff on it then it stops working. I believe that, especially for things for which we (old enough) have a taste for their physical experience, having "desktop folder"-like solution to sort and organize makes sense, more than having _only_ algorithmic sorting.

For context ... I often to the bookstore, see books, read a bit and then decide if I want to buy on paper (seldom) or get the ebook. Here most places sell both versions at this point.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:57 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I started to edit my ebooks when I already had more than a thousand.

Ebooks have many advantages, but they'll never mimic paper books in all or even most aspects (fortunately, IMO), so it's pretty useless to complain about them not being like physical books. Of course they aren't. They're vastly more flexible. If all you want is that they look, feel and behave like physical objects, then obviously you'd better use actual physical books, as you'll never get what you're missing otherwise.
Is anybody saying that's what they want? I think people want what works best for them, whether they mimic pbooks or not.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That was my first idea. But then what do you do when you want to add a book between book 34 and book 35? Are you proposing to call it 34.5?
Actually, that is exactly what I do with series. For instance, J. D. Robb's In Death series has quite a few novellas which interpose between the main books in the series. See the attached image for an example. A prequel would get a series index such as 0.5, etc. the occasional time that there are two shorts between main entries, I use 0.3 and 0.6 as the series index.

Since my ebook collection is currently moving in on 15,000, I need a tool such as calibre to keep track of them. I suppose I could emulate paper books and go back to using a library card catalogue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	in_death_series.png
Views:	71
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	205526  

Last edited by DNSB; 01-01-2024 at 08:02 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover and books, cover art, display