larger one 46 63.89%
smaller one 16 22.22%
no difference (same) 9 12.50%
don't know 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2024, 12:43 PM   #31
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I barely have enough hands for holding my device, much less another gadget to hold and operate.
Well, then don't hold your device. Set it on the desk. Install it on an articulated arm.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:51 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
So, get some buttons. Detached buttons. A Bluetooth clicker.

Even a wired button box was any eye-opener for me.
Bluetooth keyfob is even more brilliant.
Given that many of us hold our ereaders in our hands while reading, it's a bit hard to hang on to another device as well. Perhaps more of your acquaintances are like the heroine on the book cover in the attached image?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	three-armed-cover.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	205825  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2024, 01:21 PM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Well, then don't hold your device. Set it on the desk. Install it on an articulated arm.
Seriously? You're suggesting getting an articulated arm and a dedicated button clicker as a simpler and/or preferable option to simply using a reader with its own buttons? An articulated arm would mean you can only read where it is installed, definitely suboptimal imo. This setup sounds postively Goldbergesque compared to the straightforward simplicity of holding the reader and clicking its own buttons - without any need to lug a desk and an articulaetd arm too the beach, bath, or bed if that's where one feels like reading at the time
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So, get some buttons. Detached buttons. A Bluetooth clicker.

Does the Bluetooth connection time out on Kobos (when using the Nickle reader)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:18 PM   #35
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does the Bluetooth connection time out on Kobos (when using the Nickle reader)?
Usually the timeout is dependent upon the Bluetooth device, not the host.
The bad thing about "selfie" clickers is that they usually have a 60 second timeout.
"Presentation" devices usually last longer but they are bigger and have a laser pointer. ("You'll shoot your eye out, kid.")
It's pretty much a crap shoot.
Order some (cheap) stuff from China and decide which one works for you.
Advert
Old 01-15-2024, 03:32 PM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Usually the timeout is dependent upon the Bluetooth device, not the host.
The bad thing about "selfie" clickers is that they usually have a 60 second timeout.
"Presentation" devices usually last longer but they are bigger and have a laser pointer. ("You'll shoot your eye out, kid.")
It's pretty much a crap shoot.
Order some (cheap) stuff from China and decide which one works for you.
Could you recommend a good small clicker that doesn't timeout, or has a long timeout (>10 minutes), preferably available on Amazon. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:42 PM   #37
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Could you recommend a good small clicker that doesn't timeout, or has a long timeout (>10 minutes), preferably available on Amazon. Thank you.
My daughter got me this for Christmas, and honestly, it's my favorite gift this year:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9L8PK3G?th=1

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:58 PM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
My daughter got me this for Christmas, and honestly, it's my favorite gift this year:

Shari
And it works with Kobos and doesn't time out?
Old 01-15-2024, 04:20 PM   #39
Renate
Wizard

Quote:

Ouch! That's a horrible hack. It's not a remote control, it's a remote finger!
$40 is pretty expensive (because they have to include a receiver too).

That page has different modules.
Do you mean the one where you have to clip a receiver to the screen?
Wouldn't you rather have something that doesn't occlude the screen, that is only one piece?

Doesn't that work on infrared signalling?
It can't work with your hands under the covers.

On the normal Bluetooth ones I still see the standard complaint that they think that they are qwerty keyboards and disable on-screen keyboards unless you override it.

As I said, this is all a crap shoot because by the time you order the one your friend ordered and liked they have probably already changed the supplier/software.

Last edited by Renate; 01-15-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:19 AM   #40
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And it works with Kobos and doesn't time out?
It will only work with a capacitive screen, and since it doesn't connect to the device using bluetooth, it won't time out.

Shari
Old 01-16-2024, 08:21 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It will only work with a capacitive screen, and since it doesn't connect to the device using bluetooth, it won't time out.

Shari
An interesting device. But it looks like it attaches over the screen? Doesn't it obscure the screen/text?
Old 01-16-2024, 08:27 AM   #42
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Ouch! That's a horrible hack. It's not a remote control, it's a remote finger!
$40 is pretty expensive (because they have to include a receiver too).

That page has different modules.
Do you mean the one where you have to clip a receiver to the screen?
Wouldn't you rather have something that doesn't occlude the screen, that is only one piece?

Doesn't that work on infrared signalling?
It can't work with your hands under the covers.

On the normal Bluetooth ones I still see the standard complaint that they think that they are qwerty keyboards and disable on-screen keyboards unless you override it.

As I said, this is all a crap shoot because by the time you order the one your friend ordered and liked they have probably already changed the supplier/software.
It definitely does work with your hands under the covers...that's how I use it. It doesn't "occlude the screen", because it only needs to be touching the screen about 1/8" in from the side, and I like margins in my ebooks. I guess if you set your books so that the text goes all the way to the edge, this wouldn't work for you. It works great for me, though, and is a wonderful solution for keeping my hands under the covers while I read in bed. Also, because the actual remote is attached to my finger, I don't lose it if/when I fall asleep while reading.

Sorry that it's not something that you're interested in, but maybe there are other people that may find it just as wonderful as I do.

Shari
Old 01-16-2024, 08:28 AM   #43
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
An interesting device. But it looks like it attaches over the screen? Doesn't it obscure the screen/text?
As I said in my other post, it only needs to be touching the screen about 1/8" in from the side. If you use margins, like I do, it obscures nothing.

Shari
Old 01-16-2024, 08:48 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Shalym, thank you for the info. If Kobo doesn't come up with something, I may get one. Unfortunately, I have very narrow margins. The pictures on the Amazon site look like more then 1/8" overhang.

Does it physically tap the screen each time you push a button? Both devices are rechargable?
Old 01-16-2024, 08:53 AM   #45
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
It definitely does work with your hands under the covers...
Oh, it's hard to tell how it's operating. I saw the small "window" on the device and presumed that it was infrared.
Quote:
Sorry that it's not something that you're interested in...
But I am interested in it!
It's just that there are many finger ring Bluetooth devices that don't need a receiver clipped to your ereader and if that is possible to get working it would be a better option in my opinion. Also, doesn't this only go forward?

As I'm mentioned elsewhere, I'm using custom hardware and custom software to get what (for me) is the ultimate solution. I can go forward/back (which I tend to do a lot), check the time (I don't want a clock on a normal page) and most especially, I can flip between the text and the notes in the back of the book. I prefer a key fob to a ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt_case2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	205835  

Tags
ereader, large displays, smaller display size