larger one 46 63.89%
smaller one 16 22.22%
no difference (same) 9 12.50%
don't know 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2023, 08:21 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't find page turns disruptive. And fully justified text on a 6" screen looks fine to me (I have good corrected vision). If my vision got worse, I could see myself going to a larger ereader, even something larger the 8"; weight isn't a problem, most of the time my reader is on a stand.
I don't use a stand, as I mostly read on a sofa, not behind a desk or a table. I'm also very nearsighted and even with my glasses on I have to hold my ereader in my hand, else it would be too far from my eyes - unless I used huge font sizes, which I don't want to do (my usual font size is relatively small).

As to the layout, your text is probably hyphenated, which helps with large spaces between words in justified text. I disable hyphenation, because I hate it, and without it there are noticeable gaps between words on a 6'' screen.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

As to the layout, your text is probably hyphenated, which helps with large spaces between words in justified text. I disable hyphenation, because I hate it, and without it there are noticeable gaps between words on a 6'' screen.
Probably not.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2023, 11:30 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Kobo Aura H2O that has a 6.8" screen and a Kobo Libra 2 that has a 7" screen.

I also have a Sony Reader PRS-T1, Sony Reader PRS-650, and nook STR. All have a 6" screen.

The Reader that gets most used is the Kobo Libra 2.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:34 PM   #19
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I find myself now buying bigger devices because more fits on the screen and the text is bigger. I now have a 6.4 inch Samsung phone, which makes reading my books even easier. And I swore I would never have a tablet larger than 7 inches, now I have a 10 inch one!

Yes, they are a little bit heavier to hold, but I manage just fine.

Last edited by cfrizz; 01-02-2024 at 06:25 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:50 PM   #20
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
At home I read on a 7.8" reader (either an InkBook Focus or a Nook GL4+ at the moment), and then I have a 6" Nook GL that I take with me if I travel. Which has happened exactly once since I got the little Nook expressly for this purpose, but hey, at least it's there if I ever leave the house again ...
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2023, 02:09 PM   #21
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I've 6'' 8'' and 10'' einkers. 4gen Kindle, Pocketbook Inkpad, Scribe. I've also two 10'' tablets, but I practically never read books on them. Last time that I used one was to check how things would look as I was deciding on buying 10'' elink reader. I installed pocketbook app into it's android os, and it worked surprisingly well after I set it all up to my liking, but I just can't stand poor battery life of lcds.

I normally use one book per reader. I very rarely switch readers between books. So the decider is always the reader that I put the book on first. And that has lately been 10'', but the reasons behind this is almost certainly just because It's the newest. Buyers thing, I guess... When I bought 8'', 6'' spent almost two years in the drawer doing nothing. In the end I'm quite glad I didn't sell it, as it's seeing a lot of time lately.

Travelling; always 6''. Indoor reading; 8'' or 10'', my 6'' doesn't have any illumination. Outside, reading in the sun, this year it was mainly 6'' reader. I've even gotten into the habit of just dropping it into my bag as I go on hikes. I'll sit into a shade, and get a few minutes of reading while I rest. Despite low resolution screen, I've found that it looks the best in the sun, simply because eink panel is behind a very thin screen. Pdf's; never 6'', it's simply too small for them. It's almost too small for 8'', but thankfully it's got very good cropping tools.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:26 AM   #22
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I've had a ton of 6" readers and only one 7.8" (which I actually broke before using, long story).
I think 6" is a brilliant size and I like my readers slim in every dimension.
I use a Poke5 now (previously Poke3). If you know a 6" that is smaller...
These readers have no buttons and I use a Bluetooth clicker, which seems absurd, but it works for me.
Not having a lot of text on a single screen is not bad as long as the page turn is painless.

I like columns wider than newspaper columns but not too wide.
Have you ever started reading some text on a full screen desktop and realized that when your eyes made a "carriage return" you never hit the right line?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:09 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Have you ever started reading some text on a full screen desktop and realized that when your eyes made a "carriage return" you never hit the right line?
The only things I ever use full screen are:
Calibre
Photo or vector Image editing
CAD/CAE
Slide show

Can't imagine why I'd want text full screen on a desktop unless it was an Apricot 9″ CRT!

I use text based (or related) about 1/4 to 1/3rd of width of screen
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:16 PM   #24
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
This poll strikes me as strange (unless the question is more "Which one do you use more in practice?" rather than "Which one do you prefer to use?"), because the economics of larger e-readers usually mean that they are both more expensive and usually have worse battery life. So if, for example, you are a person who has both a Kobo Clara and a Kobo Sage: given that the Clara is cheaper, more portable, and has better battery life--if you prefer reading on it, to boot, why the heck would you even buy a Sage to begin with!
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:35 AM   #25
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
This poll strikes me as strange (unless the question is more "Which one do you use more in practice?" rather than "Which one do you prefer to use?"), because the economics of larger e-readers usually mean that they are both more expensive and usually have worse battery life. So if, for example, you are a person who has both a Kobo Clara and a Kobo Sage: given that the Clara is cheaper, more portable, and has better battery life--if you prefer reading on it, to boot, why the heck would you even buy a Sage to begin with!
yes i meant as in practice, which do you prefer in daily life?
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:53 PM   #26
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Right now I have the Nook GL4+(7.8) and the Kindle Oasis (7). There is not a lot of difference and I switch back and forth.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM   #27
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I alternate between a Sage and a Scribe. I prefer the larger screen of the Scribe for maximum reading and minimum page turning but I prefer buttons, so it's a toss-up. I don't foresee ever going any smaller than the Sage under any circumstances though.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:10 PM   #28
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I prefer buttons...
So, get some buttons. Detached buttons. A Bluetooth clicker.

Even a wired button box was any eye-opener for me.
Bluetooth keyfob is even more brilliant.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:33 PM   #29
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
So, get some buttons. Detached buttons. A Bluetooth clicker.

Even a wired button box was any eye-opener for me.
Bluetooth keyfob is even more brilliant.
I barely have enough hands for holding my device, much less another gadget to hold and operate.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:39 PM   #30
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I have a bunch of ereaders. Since I retired my Sony T3, I got a Kobo Libra. A few months later, I got a great deal on a Kobo Forma and have been using that exclusively since then because I love the bigger screen.

The rare occasion I want ultra portable, I charge up one of my old Sony 350 pocket readers. Then, I remember why I usually make room for the Kobo Forma.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, large displays, smaller display size