Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 01:48 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
But, your quote shows that Adobe does let you download to all the devices on your account...they just limit you to 6 devices on your account at the same time.
Not quite right. You get 6 activations out of the box but if you contact Adobe to have your activations reset, it does not remove the activations from previously activated devices so you can end up with more than 6 activated devices. You can download a DRMmed ePub to an unactivated device (from ADE to a Kobo ereader for example) but attempting to open the book will result in an error message so while that might qualify as downloading to all devices, it's a rather useless download.

OTOH, I haven't had to contact Adobe in quite a few years since I found that simply backing up the activation.xml file (found in the .adobe-digital-editions directory in the root of the exposed storage on a Kobo ereader) and then copying it back on a factory reset or to a new Kobo activated it without requiring me to use ADE to activate the ereader. The device.xml file found in the same directory gets regenerated during the factory reset so does not need to be saved. This, BTW, is why @davidfor included the .adobe-digital-editions directory in the database backup segment of Kobo Utilities.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:10 PM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Not quite right. You get 6 activations out of the box but if you contact Adobe to have your activations reset, it does not remove the activations from previously activated devices so you can end up with more than 6 activated devices. You can download a DRMmed ePub to an unactivated device (from ADE to a Kobo ereader for example) but attempting to open the book will result in an error message so while that might qualify as downloading to all devices, it's a rather useless download.

I thought from what previous posters posted was that when they contacted Abobe, Adobe didn't actually "reset" activations, they just added more, which allowed users to have more than 6 activations?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 02:28 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought from what previous posters posted was that when they contacted Abobe, Adobe didn't actually "reset" activations, they just added more, which allowed users to have more than 6 activations?
Adobe calls it reset but I think what they mean is that it resets the counter so you can 6 more activations before having to contact them again.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Adobe calls it reset but I think what they mean is that it resets the counter so you can 6 more activations before having to contact them again.
So a "deactivation" is a Erase Authorization through the ADE UI (I'm looking at ADE version 4.5.X)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:11 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So a "deactivation" is a Erase Authorization through the ADE UI (I'm looking at ADE version 4.5.X)?
I've never tested but I think it should remove the activation information and remove 1 from the activation count.
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 03:18 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You've said this before and I've found it's not so with Kobo (issue when you add payment) or ebooks dot com (Geolocates IP as not USA even before payment system added).
I've traveled using both travel agents with no problem. The last time I traveled was with ebooks.com and I used PayPal to pay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #67
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've never tested but I think it should remove the activation information and remove 1 from the activation count.
It didn't use to, but that is going way back. It might have changed, because it didn't make a lot of sense that deauthorizing a device didn't free up an authorization. Perhaps the point was to keep people from churning devices.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:29 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You've said this before and I've found it's not so with Kobo (issue when you add payment)...
I have no problem buying UK books with a US account.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have no problem buying UK books with a US account.
Have you tried buying USA ebooks from Ireland? Easier to buy on paper if they are geolimited ebooks.

There is no difficulty for me to buy UK books from Kobo Ireland.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried buying USA ebooks from Ireland? Easier to buy on paper if they are geolimited ebooks.

There is no difficulty for me to buy UK books from Kobo Ireland.
I have no problem traveling to buy eBooks.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:28 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried buying USA ebooks from Ireland?
I'm going to put it down to user error, as I cannot imagine the process is different country to country. I'll send you a PM
Old 11-16-2023, 11:45 AM   #72
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm going to put it down to user error, as I cannot imagine the process is different country to country. I'll send you a PM
Thanks. I'm thinking the issue might be particular books and IP checking. Generally I'm only trying to get a book (ebook or paper) from USA if I can't get it locally or from UK. Ireland is treated as a UK region by book, music, video, console games, and programs. It's historical since about 1590 and Queen Elizabeth I of England who severed all Irish international trade. It's only since Brexit, not 1992 Independence, that the UK middle men are gradually be cut out. Of course there are some Irish Publishers, that publish in English.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:46 AM   #73
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
I've tried to buy ebooks from a non-UK store and been told as I was located in the UK I could only buy from the UK store (this is before I input my location or payment details).

I can buy direct from a publisher website, but not a bookstore website. It seems that it's only possible to virtually travel if you're in the US already.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:13 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I've tried to buy ebooks from a non-UK store and been told as I was located in the UK I could only buy from the UK store (this is before I input my location or payment details).
But was that store Kobo? As that is the only one where I know traveling works. They seem to be more live and let live than, for instance, Amazon.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:53 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But was that store Kobo? As that is the only one where I know traveling works. They seem to be more live and let live than, for instance, Amazon.
Traveling also works with eBooks.com.