Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2023, 03:39 PM   #46
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
It's impossible to protect text. Even if uncrackable method of protecting files existed, there will be brute force available of just taking screenshots of the screen, and converting them back into text. With few scripts it could be easily automated.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
It's impossible to protect text. Even if uncrackable method of protecting files existed, there will be brute force available of just taking screenshots of the screen, and converting them back into text. With few scripts it could be easily automated.
Been demoed years ago on a Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #48
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I do not use B&N since they are a US only company.
It's possible to use the Nook app outside the U.S., though need a few extra steps to actually get it as it won't show in the Windows store.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It's possible to use the Nook app outside the U.S., though need a few extra steps to actually get it as it won't show in the Windows store.
The one and only time, I attempted to create an account on B&N, they would not accept a customer address outside the USA. The ebook I was looking for showed up on Kobo a couple of days later for less so I never bothered to try using B&N again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #50
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Oddly, while Amazon does seem to impose limits on how many devices/apps you can read an Amazon format ebook on, I haven't found the same with ePub format ebooks from multiple source.
All eBook DRM (Amazon, Adobe, Kobo, etc.) is the same in that you can download the eBook to as many devices you want as long as the devices are on the same account.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #51
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
All eBook DRM (Amazon, Adobe, Kobo, etc.) is the same in that you can download the eBook to as many devices you want as long as the devices are on the same account.
That is not true. There are limits.

From Adobe Digital Editions Learn & Support:

Quote:
You can activate Digital Editions on six computers or mobile devices with one Adobe ID. If you reach the limit, contact us to reset your activations. For more information about activation and content portability, see Adobe Digital Editions FAQ.
Amazon has different limits for different books. Some are unlimited but many are only allowed on a few devices simultaneously. Six devices is the typical limit. If you exceed the limit you will not be able to download a copy to an additional device until one has been removed from another device.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
The one and only time, I attempted to create an account on B&N, they would not accept a customer address outside the USA. The ebook I was looking for showed up on Kobo a couple of days later for less so I never bothered to try using B&N again.
This was my experience too. Buying from Kobo's US store is at least possible, it accepted my non-US credit card without a murmur
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:16 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had a B&N account since the year 2000 or so, when I bought paper books from them. Back then it was possible to create a non-US account with a non-US credit card; perhaps it's no longer possible. I've not used my account for 15 years, at least, other than to register my Nook in 2019. No idea if it still exists or has been deleted.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I note no one has told OP how to do it (at least not on the forum page). For very good reason in that it's not looked upon favorably in the forum's to detail how it can be done. And no I'm not going to post any details here either, and for the same reason.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:13 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This was my experience too. Buying from Kobo's US store is at least possible, it accepted my non-US credit card without a murmur
You can travel using Kobo and eBooks.com travel agents.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:26 PM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can travel using Kobo and eBooks.com travel agents.
You've said this before and I've found it's not so with Kobo (issue when you add payment) or ebooks dot com (Geolocates IP as not USA even before payment system added).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:41 PM   #57
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
We used to be able to do it with calibre but Amazon has stopped us from using the old desktop versions. It forces us now to upgrade and the calibre tricks no longer work. But I have no need to strip DRM. I so the whole conversion thing is meaningless to me
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
We used to be able to do it with calibre but Amazon has stopped us from using the old desktop versions. It forces us now to upgrade and the calibre tricks no longer work. But I have no need to strip DRM. I so the whole conversion thing is meaningless to me
You keep saying that DRM removal no longer works, but it does. There are other methods besides using an old Kindle app.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 03:25 PM   #59
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've found it's not so with Kobo (issue when you add payment)
I've travelled to the UK successfully using PayPal as the payment method.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #60
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is not true. There are limits.
I did not know that Amazon had a limit that was less than the number of activated devices on a single account.

But, your quote shows that Adobe does let you download to all the devices on your account...they just limit you to 6 devices on your account at the same time.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote