Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2023, 01:12 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was happy enough reading, for example, Microsoft's .lit format ebooks until the announcement that Microsoft was shutting down the DRM servers. At that point, I got very enthused about removing DRM from those ebooks and since then, removing DRM is part of how I manage any ebook purchase..
That's the same event that sparked my involvement with DRM removal.

I've since stopped removing DRM from any of my purchases. But that's because it's simply a waste of time for me to do so. I don't buy ebooks until I'm ready to read them, and I almost never re-read anything. If the formatting of an ebook is atrocious enough to distract me while reading (and my sensitivity to such 'atrocity' is pretty low), I return it and read something else. I just no longer have an interest in doing anything with my purchases other than reading them (immediately).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2023 at 01:15 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This warning is to everyone. Please stop announcing your intent to download pirated books on Mobileread. Now, or in the future. Buying a copy first does not lend you any moral or legal right to download a pirated copy, and certainly violates MR's rules not to advocate piracy. I find the desire to share ones intent to do so rather odd. If you wish to participate in such practices, please consider keeping it to yourself. Sharing your plans to utilize pirate sites will only get you censured (and possibly banned) on Mobileread.
Quote:
Sure. But someone is bound to cross the line into advocating before long. Never fails. I, myself, believe the topic to be talked to death. You're welcome to try, but it will inevitably (and quickly) devolve into irrelevant arguments and false claims of entitlement.
So it sounds to me like the only discussion allowed is that it (buying and downloading a pirate copy) is that it is immoral?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2023, 03:02 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So it sounds to me like the only discussion allowed is that it (buying and downloading a pirate copy) is that it is immoral?
The topic has been discussed to death and really does not need to be resurrected and beaten to death again.

Purchasing an ebook from a vendor does not grant you a license to download a pirated copy. To me, that makes downloading that pirated copy an immoral, illegal, unethical, illicit & etc. ad nauseum act.

Your opinion may be different but trying to change someone's mind is more than likely a thankless and unsuccessful task.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.—Thomas Paine.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
That's the same event that sparked my involvement with DRM removal.

I've since stopped removing DRM from any of my purchases. But that's because it's simply a waste of time for me to do so. I don't buy ebooks until I'm ready to read them, and I almost never re-read anything. If the formatting of an ebook is atrocious enough to distract me while reading (and my sensitivity to such 'atrocity' is pretty low), I return it and read something else. I just no longer have an interest in doing anything with my purchases other than reading them (immediately).
I mostly remove it because I want to read the books on both a Kindle and a Pocketbook (previously a Kobo). I'm not going to buy a book twice because I use an epub reader and my partner uses a kindle reader
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I mostly remove it because I want to read the books on both a Kindle and a Pocketbook (previously a Kobo). I'm not going to buy a book twice because I use an epub reader and my partner uses a kindle reader
Makes perfect sense to me!

I don't share, nor do I use use eink devices. So reading DRMed content from just about any store works on any of my tablets or phone. If there was a need, I'd remove DRM with no remorse, but I just haven't had that need for a long time.
Advert
Old 11-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not sure how you got that interpretation from what I wrote. I clearly said "sure," have at it. Then posted my opinion that it was pointless and bound to turn sour. But if you want to post an opinion on why you think (hypothetically) buying and downloading a pirate copy might be moral (without hinting that you do it, or suggesting it's OK for others to go out and do so)... knock yourself out. See how it goes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-08-2023 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Fix typos
Old 11-09-2023, 04:21 PM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The topic has been discussed to death and really does not need to be resurrected and beaten to death again.

And yet, you start discussing, yet again.

That's what I don't get about your (and DiapDealer). You say it doesn't need to be discussed, yet you start offering opinions.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not sure how you got that interpretation from what I wrote. I clearly said "sure," have at it. Then posted my opinion that it was pointless and bound to turn sour. But if you want to post an opinion on why you think (hypothetically) buying and downloading a pirate copy might be moral (without hinting that you do it, or suggesting it's OK for others to to go out an do so)... knock yourself out. See how it goes.
Ok.

In my opinion, hypothetically, I don't see a moral problem on downloading a pirated version of an ebook if you have purchased a legitimate copy of the ebook. I don't do it; I wouldn't buy an ebook if I couldn't get it in a format I wanted. I am not suggesting it is OK for others to go out and do it.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:45 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Ok.

In my opinion, hypothetically, I don't see a moral problem on downloading a pirated version of an ebook if you have purchased a legitimate copy of the ebook.
I don't see a problem with it either, but it isn't something I'd do myself. There's just no need, as long as DRM can be removed, and if it's no longer possible to remove the DRM, then I guess there won't be any pirate copies floating around either.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:49 PM   #40
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
In my opinion, hypothetically, I don't see a moral problem on downloading a pirated version of an ebook if you have purchased a legitimate copy of the ebook.
My opinion also.
If I have paid for a copy of an ebook that I can't use, where is the loss of downloading the same novel elsewhere? Should we be paying for two copies?

And I don't see where "Morality" fits into this.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:50 PM   #41
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
then I guess there won't be any pirate copies floating around either.
I assume those inclined will end up OCR'ing pbooks.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 05:08 PM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I assume those inclined will end up OCR'ing pbooks.
Probably, but the quality of those copies would be just awful in most cases.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #43
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Quote:
Makes perfect sense to me!
I really don't want to get too far into the "beaten to death" bit, but buying a book from Amazon (or Kobo) and then removing DRM and converting it to the other format so it can be read on another device by another person is actually worse than buying a copy then downloading a pirate version for your single device.

Buying and then duplicating the copy to multiple devices violates the license and deprives the author of money from the second sale. It also allows reading both copies at the same time, which breaks the "treat it like a physical book" argument, where you can loan the book without loaning your entire library. Buying a copy and then downloading a pirate version to read on a single device gives the author exactly the amount of money that they should receive.

What you wrote could easily be changed to:
Buying a copy first does not lend you any moral or legal right to create and share a pirated copy (even within your own household), and certainly violates MR's rules not to advocate piracy. I find the desire to share ones intent to do so rather odd. If you wish to participate in such practices, please consider keeping it to yourself. Sharing your plans to create pirate copies will only get you censured (and possibly banned) on Mobileread.

I format-shift my purchased eBooks all the time, and I do technically create multiple copies and violate the license agreements, but there is never an instance where more than one copy can be read at the same time.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I really don't want to get too far into the "beaten to death" bit, but buying a book from Amazon (or Kobo) and then removing DRM and converting it to the other format so it can be read on another device by another person is actually worse than buying a copy then downloading a pirate version for your single device.
Sure. In your opinion. And those vary. I have no beef with a bit of household sharing (whether it technically violates license or not). I DO have a beef with making commercial pirates money by clicking through their site so they get paid by their advertisers.

You're free to believe that sharing a copy with a partner/spouse is "actually worse" than handing money to commercial pirates, but I don't share that particular belief (though I don't have a partner or spouse to share ebooks with, so I don't participate in that form of casual piracy either) *shrug*

And for the record: I wasn't approving or disapproving of Sweatpea's practices. In a conversation about who does/doesn't, might/mightn't need to remove DRM, removing DRM in their situation made perfect logical sense to me. It didn't in my situation. Others can quibble over the moral ramifications of those choices if they like. My concern is preventing the encouragement (on Mobileread) of going to pirate sites to download free copyrighted books (or the uploading of their liberated ebooks to pirate sites).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-10-2023 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:25 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Buying and then duplicating the copy to multiple devices violates the license and deprives the author of money from the second sale. It also allows reading both copies at the same time, which breaks the "treat it like a physical book" argument, where you can loan the book without loaning your entire library. Buying a copy and then downloading a pirate version to read on a single device gives the author exactly the amount of money that they should receive.

I format-shift my purchased eBooks all the time, and I do technically create multiple copies and violate the license agreements, but there is never an instance where more than one copy can be read at the same time.
Oddly, while Amazon does seem to impose limits on how many devices/apps you can read an Amazon format ebook on, I haven't found the same with ePub format ebooks from multiple source. I do not use B&N since they are a US only company.

OTOH, I only remove DRM from ebooks for my use. I suppose, in theory, I could "read" an ebook on multiple apps and ereaders simultaneously even without needing to remove DRM since Adobe allows me to activate multiple devices and Kobo's apps and ereader are pre-activated for their DRM when syncing ebooks from Kobo's site.

Another oddity is that under the local laws, any ebook purchases I make are equally the property of my spouse (community property is so much fun). I actually bounced the idea off of one lawyer acquaintance and his response after a bit of research was that while it was unlikely that I would ever be taken to court for sharing an ebook with my spouse, it was likely that the court would rule that no copyright infringement/illegality had occurred. It gave him something to do while I was upgrading his office computers and networking though it did result in a discount on fee for the work I did.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote