Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #16
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
I dont agree with uploading or even downloading ebooks. Never really have. I always buy the ebooks as long as the price is reasonable. 15.00 tops for a major release.

My thing is I wanna put it on my tablet, and or phone and use a program like Moon reader Pro. or Ice book reader Pro. It turns any ebook into a audio book, and or has auto scrolling with the ability to make it easier to read. I like black background with green Fonts.

If I am able to figure out how its done with this new format, I can simply go back to buy the book, and convert it for my own needs. I think that most would do the same if they were able to convert there ebooks to epub for mostly the same reasons I like them converted.

If someone would like to send me a private message, or provide a link on how to convert my kendal buys into epub, I would so apreciate it. Think I am gonna go down the rabit hole and see if I can go back to doing it like I used to. There is a box set I would LOVE to buy, but wont if I cant put it on my tablet. Thanks.

Last edited by tym; 11-08-2023 at 02:50 PM.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:48 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
I dont agree with uploading or even downloading ebooks. Never really have. I always buy the ebooks as long as the price is reasonable. 15.00 tops for a major release.

My thing is I wanna put it on my tablet, and or phone and use a program like Moon reader Pro. or Ice book reader Pro. It turns any ebook into a audio book, and or has auto scrolling with the ability to make it easier to read. I like black background with green Fonts.

If I am able to figure out how its done with this new format, I can simply go back to buy the book, and convert it for my own needs. I think that most would do the same if they were able to convert there ebooks to epub for mostly the same reasons I like them converted.
Two solutions.
  1. If it's available in ePub, buy the ePub
  2. If you have a Kindle Reader and you bought from Amazon, use Download and transfer via USB to download the eBook in KF8 that you can use to convert to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Another solution:

3. Use the method described in the DRM workaround: Kindle for Android thread.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-08-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Removed extra http:// from URL
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:08 PM   #19
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Another solution:

3. Use the method described in the DRM workaround: Kindle for Android thread.
FYI, you've got an extra 'http://' in your hyperlink such that it does not work.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
FYI, you've got an extra 'http://' in your hyperlink such that it does not work.
Thanks. Edited it out.
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 08:50 PM   #21
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Thank you everyone for the replies and help. Think I am just gonna let the whole converting to epub go. I will simply buy the book on amazon, then wait for a short time, and go get the same ebook minus the drm.

Just getting to old to mess with all the stuff needed to do it myself, BUT, still smart enough to know where to go look for them pretty easy.

While there is no way of knowing, I still believe that if people were able to put kendal books on a non kendal app, there would not be much piracy. Just think Amazon is forcing people to use only there software, and yet wont make the effort to make there software as well as programs such as moon reader pro for android, or ice book reader for windows 10

So I think in the end, the authors are getting the short end of the stick, if the books are priced at a fair price, and people were able to use what ever software that works best for them, people would gladly buy them.

Amazon refuses to let people read books on anything other than Amazon software, so the people said, fine, we will just release the books ourselves with out the drm. This has been going on for many years. I will NEVER forget tearing into author edward lee about not releasing his stuff on ebook format, then when his publisher started talking about the expense and bla bla bla. I simply had to show him, the books that people want, are already out there in the wild. The one book most lee fans wanted was his early stuff. So someone released it for them.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:13 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the replies and help. Think I am just gonna let the whole converting to epub go. I will simply buy the book on amazon, then wait for a short time, and go get the same ebook minus the drm.
Given the majority of the books available on Amazon with DRM that are available on other vendors will also have DRM from those vendors and your comments, it seems to suggest that you are going to be downloading pirated copies of the ebooks. To me, it would simply be easier to remove the DRM from the Amazon books which can be done easily enough and not get involved with ebook piracy.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:16 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would never buy an eBook that I cannot remove the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:31 AM   #24
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm totally happy to rent a DRMed ebook if the price is low enough to offset the loss of actual ownership.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:34 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Just getting to old to mess with all the stuff needed to do it myself, BUT, still smart enough to know where to go look for them pretty easy.
Moderator Notice
This warning is to everyone. Please stop announcing your intent to download pirated books on Mobileread. Now, or in the future. Buying a copy first does not lend you any moral or legal right to download a pirated copy, and certainly violates MR's rules not to advocate piracy. I find the desire to share ones intent to do so rather odd. If you wish to participate in such practices, please consider keeping it to yourself. Sharing your plans to utilize pirate sites will only get you censured (and possibly banned) on Mobileread.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:45 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This warning is to everyone. Please stop announcing your intent to download pirated books on Mobileread. Now, or in the future. Buying a copy first does not lend you any moral or legal right to download a pirated copy, and certainly violates MR's rules not to advocate piracy. I find the desire to share ones intent to do so rather odd. If you wish to participate in such practices, please consider keeping it to yourself. Sharing your plans to utilize pirate sites will only get you censured (and possibly banned) on Mobileread.
Although we can't say that we intend to downloaded pirated ebooks, is it OK to discuss the morals of first purchasing an ebook and then downloading a pirated copy?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:03 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm totally happy to rent a DRMed ebook if the price is low enough to offset the loss of actual ownership.
I would not want a DRMed ebook even if it was free. If I can't edit the layout and formatting, I won't read it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:14 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Although we can't say that we intend to downloaded pirated ebooks, is it OK to discuss the morals of first purchasing an ebook and then downloading a pirated copy?
Sure. But someone is bound to cross the line into advocating before long. Never fails. I, myself, believe the topic to be talked to death. You're welcome to try, but it will inevitably (and quickly) devolve into irrelevant arguments and false claims of entitlement.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:27 PM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I would not want a DRMed ebook even if it was free. If I can't edit the layout and formatting, I won't read it.
I have a few games that I'm now unable to play due to the DRM breaking down. So I'd not buy a book I can't DeDRM for the fear of it being similarly unreadable.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I have a few games that I'm now unable to play due to the DRM breaking down. So I'd not buy a book I can't DeDRM for the fear of it being similarly unreadable.
The loss of ability to read a book is what originally drove me into looking at removing DRM. I was happy enough reading, for example, Microsoft's .lit format ebooks until the announcement that Microsoft was shutting down the DRM servers. At that point, I got very enthused about removing DRM from those ebooks and since then, removing DRM is part of how I manage any ebook purchase.

And please note that I said purchases. Library loans, Kindle Unlimited, Kobo Plus, etc. are not purchases and to me it's morally wrong to remove DRM from them.