Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2023, 12:35 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
So how is it done??

So its impossible, last I knew, that converting any ebook from amazon was simply impossible.

Yet a Week after a major new release maybe a tad bit more, its out in the wild in epub. Did someone figure out how to convert Amazon Stuff?? Or someone else??
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:52 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's not "impossible" to convert store bought epubs. People have been doing it for years. There are plenty of threads about it here in this forum.

It's a bit disappointing that a new release is being uploaded to sites for free distribution as the author misses out on remuneration for their hard work, but unfortunately that is what happens, just like piracy for tv shows and movies.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 03:31 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
It's not "impossible" to convert store bought epubs. People have been doing it for years. There are plenty of threads about it here in this forum.
Or Kindle ebooks, but likely that's what you meant.

Also ARCs, paper editions etc of anything that might be popular is pirated. Sometimes for sale. Google Playstore Books used to have simply scanned copies as PDFs. Now pirates OCR too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:05 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It's entirely possible to convert Kindle books. Many of us here do it regularly.

Edit: I mean converting, of course, not uploading stuff to pirate sites.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:07 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
So its impossible, last I knew, that converting any ebook from amazon was simply impossible.

Yet a Week after a major new release maybe a tad bit more, its out in the wild in epub. Did someone figure out how to convert Amazon Stuff?? Or someone else??
I've converted lots of Amazon eBooks to ePub. I've done so using either calibre or KindleUnpack. It's actually very easy to do. Converting eBooks from Amazon has never been impossible once KF8 was reverse engineered.

What is this major new release? According the libraries I frequent online, the most major new release us the Britney Spears autobiography based on the wait lists.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Not impossible. Unfortunately, pirates as well as legitimate customers are able to read online posts.

(Interstingly, whenever I search reddit to see if anyone's kicked up a fuss about the new DRM, I see my thread frequently linked to in piracy subreddits. Sigh.)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-08-2023 at 11:18 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just bought a 99 cent boxed set at the big A in AZW3 and it converted to EPUB in seconds. Note I do have a registered K4nt, even tho I now prefer my Kobo Libra2 as my daily reader.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Not impossible. Unfortunately, pirates as well as legitimate customers are able to read online posts.

(Interstingly, whenever I search reddit to see if anyone's kicked up a fuss about the new DRM, I see my thread frequently linked to in piracy subreddits. Sigh.)
And even if DRM was unbreakable, the Pirate can use camera, page turner and OCR if they hadn't already scanned an ARC after cutting off binding.

DRM is pointless. Inconveniences ordinary consumers more than pirates. HDCP and DRM adds a small amount of cost to anything with HDMI, or a video disc. Zero protection. Just point HD camera at screen in dark room. Some movies/video is pirated in the studio or broadcaster or projection booth.

Amazon ditched Adobe years ago, not for more security, but simply to cut costs. They don't pay anyone for their DRM, because it's theirs.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, a camera taking pictures of every page and enough man-hours of OCR duty could create an ebook if push came to shove.

I believe someone got their hands on a copy of one of the Harry Potter books (IIRC the last one) before release, took pictures of every page using their phone, and there was an unofficial ebook before release day via crowdsourced manual OCR.

EDIT: I assume for ebooks of sufficiently old print editions (AKA old enough there's not a text file of the book from the production process) they do more or less exactly what Quoth described

Last edited by binaryhermit; 11-08-2023 at 12:41 PM. Reason: fixed part after EDIT
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I believe someone got their hands on a copy of one of the Harry Potter books (IIRC the last one) before release, took pictures of every page using their phone, and there was an unofficial ebook before release day via crowdsourced manual OCR.
I seem to remember the camera used was a Canon DSLR and the original images had the camera serial number in the EXIF information. Oops.

Quote:
EDIT: I assume for ebooks of sufficiently old print editions (AKA old enough there's not a text file of the book from the production process) they do more or less exactly what Quoth described
A lot of the older books get converted to PDF where you are viewing the images of the pages with a hidden OCRred layer to allow for search. All too often when the PDF is converted to an epub, what you get is the abysmal OCRred text layer which in most cases is totally unreadable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

If I needed to do it, I think I would cut the binding and feed it through a scanner.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:14 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Pirates for ARC and new releases, because the crazy big publishers do paper first. The publishers do it for their old releases, even sometimes to be able to reprint paper. They don't want to print a facsimile and won't have the original plates.

You can now buy a camera based scanner cheap enough on Amazon that has lasers for page curl and automatically capture an entire book the way Google does it. Their auto scan & page turner is pretty fast. So they can digitise rare/library books. They often don't proof the OCR if it seems OK for search. See Google Books (not the one on the Playstore).

Last edited by Quoth; 11-08-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #13
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A lot of the older books get converted to PDF where you are viewing the images of the pages with a hidden OCRred layer to allow for search. All too often when the PDF is converted to an epub, what you get is the abysmal OCRred text layer which in most cases is totally unreadable.
I had a paid for EPUB of A Canticle for Leibowitz that I purchased from Kobo that was so atrocious that I ended up sticking with an unofficial OCR'd EPUB I found online. The OCR'd one was clearly crap from a CSS/internals perspective, but at least the thing was readable! The EPUB from Kobo (no longer available--they must've yanked it) felt like the days of trying to read a novel in .txt format in Notepad.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:38 PM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I seem to remember the camera used was a Canon DSLR and the original images had the camera serial number in the EXIF information. Oops.
I can't remember if it was this series or something else entirely, but I recall that a publisher accidentally confirmed a specific leak was the real one by sending a DMCA takedown notice against it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I had a paid for EPUB of A Canticle for Leibowitz that I purchased from Kobo that was so atrocious that I ended up sticking with an unofficial OCR'd EPUB I found online. The OCR'd one was clearly crap from a CSS/internals perspective, but at least the thing was readable! The EPUB from Kobo (no longer available--they must've yanked it) felt like the days of trying to read a novel in .txt format in Notepad.
The copy that was on Kobo could have been an illegal copy.

A Canticle for Leibowitz is legally available as an eBook in the UK but not in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote