Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What color should the bezels of an ereader be?
Black 71 56.80%
Gray 17 13.60%
White 27 21.60%
Gold 3 2.40%
Silver 3 2.40%
Yellow 2 1.60%
Orange 4 3.20%
Red 8 6.40%
Green 6 4.80%
Blue 11 8.80%
Pink 3 2.40%
Purple 5 4.00%
Beige 2 1.60%
Multicolored 7 5.60%
Something else 1 0.80%
I don't care 23 18.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2023, 11:56 AM   #31
PennyDred
PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura H2O (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Isn't bamboo rather fragile?
They use it for scaffolding in the far east very sustainable too.
PennyDred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:34 AM   #32
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What's a bezel?
According to Wordweb: A sloping edge on a cutting*tool
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 08:35 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
According to Wordweb: A sloping edge on a cutting*tool
That's a less common use, and that would be called a bevel any place I know. In fact I've never heard or read that use of Bezel.

Object

Bezel (jewellery), the rim which encompasses and fastens a jewel, watch crystal, lens or other object
Bezel, the sloping facets of the crown of a cut gem after gem cutting
Screen bezel, a space or frame around a display device, such as on a television or mobile device.
Bezel, the removable plastic faceplate or front panel of a slot, such as on an optical disc drive

Being historically a decorative border some say the word comes from Bezalel. That's seems weak to me.

But I only heard or read "Bevel" for a tool and "Bezel" for a surround or border. Perhaps USA or somewhere is different.
Quote:
Cutting tools
Most cutting tools have a bevelled edge which is apparent when one examines the grind.
—Wikipedia.

A bezel can of course be bevelled.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-28-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Isn't bamboo rather fragile?
No. It can be used instead of other woods to make plywood.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:52 AM   #35
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I now realize I was thinking of balsa wood not bamboo when I asked that.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 08:54 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I now realize I was thinking of balsa wood not bamboo when I asked that.
I've built fragile proof of concept models with balsa wood desined to look like plastic. None survived much handling.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Apache
Not surprising you picked that kind of bezel. Do you still work with jewellery?
Old 10-28-2023, 11:51 AM   #38
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
What about Vantablack?
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Not surprising you picked that kind of bezel. Do you still work with jewellery?
Oh yea. My wife and I have owned a jewelry store for 33 years now and I have been a bench jeweler for 44 years. I love what I do and am a workaholic, so no plans to retire. I will do this as long as my health holds out. I still get a thrill out of watching customers faces when I hand them their custom piece.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
What about Vantablack?
  • Too fragile. Those nanotubes are very easily damaged so no touching allowed.
  • Currently, it requires a metal surface to be applied to though any material that can survive extreme heat and carbon nanotubes could be grown on could be used.
  • The process is complex leading to a high price which is not likely to drop in the near future. The spray-on form is still very expensive and not as black.
  • Vantablack is not even the current low reflectance record holder.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-28-2023 at 12:51 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:38 PM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
What about Vantablack?
A gimmick.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #42
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A gimmick.
Perhaps. But many pieces of technology some thought to be a gimmick ended up being extremely popular and are now commonplace, even essential to some.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:51 AM   #43
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I want it to be as close to the screen colour as possible and use the bezels as margins. The one thing that Remarkable has really done right is the design. Well, except for the flashy silver part.

Failing that: anything not black. I'm sick and tired of all electronic devices going for the safe choice of black. I want some colour in my life. I'd love for the bezels to be light gray and the backside of the device to be in all kinds of crazy colour combinations.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #44
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you want more colour, you can always get a flashy case.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:59 PM   #45
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I prefer black for bezels but also like white and color options for those who care about that. Makes it more customizable and fun
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote