Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2023, 05:17 PM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Interesting...I'm just the opposite. I learn much better by reading, and always have. Videos are helpful with some things, but for the most part, I retain it better if I read it. Podcasts for learning don't work for me at all. It's very hard for me to focus on just sound. My eyes are looking for something to do, and then my brain gets distracted by what I'm looking at, then I have to go back 5 or 10 minutes because I have no idea what's going on in the podcast. This is the same thing that happens when I try to listen to an audiobook.

Shari
It's exactly the same for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 08:24 PM   #32
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I always watch, rather than purely listen, to podcasts for that very reason.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2023, 08:32 PM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I always watch, rather than purely listen, to podcasts for that very reason.
That's even worse. I don't have the patience to watch people talking. I'd rather read what they talked about; much faster for me.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:22 PM   #34
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In the case of podcasts, reading is not an option, unless a transcript is available. The auto-generated ones are always terrible, so listening is usually the only way to get the content.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 11:38 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
In the case of podcasts, reading is not an option, unless a transcript is available. The auto-generated ones are always terrible, so listening is usually the only way to get the content.
Yes, of course. But I listen to them only when I absolutely need to know the content, which is very rare. Most of the times I don't bother, as I dislike the format.
Advert
Old 10-14-2023, 12:02 AM   #36
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
There are some podcasts with great transcripts. Just send them to pocket and read on a Kobo - it cuts the time by at least half.

I've noticed that podcasts can be a great introduction to a topic, but generally I'd have to read about it to really learn anything.

On the other hand, most non-fictions book don't teach that much either. They seem to be little more than glorified blog posts geared towards the male market, while women seem to prefer fiction.

After 20 years of exclusively fiction I started reading some non-fiction to see what I'd missed. I thought the books would be like school books - just packed with facts about a certain topic. But turns out many of them are more like fiction "based on a true story". It reminds me of my mum who almost exclusively watches films based on true events, so that she can feel she's not wasting her time with made up stuff. Of course, the end product is as much fiction as Narnia is.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 02:49 AM   #37
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Regarding the OP: My habits vary considerably over time. I doubt if I ever quite make 10 (100% fiction) but regularly make it to 9+ for long periods. I think my long term average is probably 8+, but there are times I get to 1 (100% non-fiction) for a month or more at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's even worse. I don't have the patience to watch people talking. I'd rather read what they talked about; much faster for me.
I have people that regularly send me YouTube and similar links to impart some great wisdom. This is despite know by preferences for text, and the long standing issues I have with reception here that make long videos especially difficult. I've seen so much crap with people trying to sell me on one thing or another that I simply don't trust video. It's the ideal medium for misleading the audience, which is one reason why it is such a great way to present fiction. These days, for me, video = fiction.

And audio-only ... I've never really given it much of a chance. I tend to categorise it as much the same as video in terms of reliability. What little I've tried, I have trouble stopping myself from getting distracted by other things. And since I am NOT good at multi-tasking, that generally means I have no idea what was said on the audio.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 05:25 AM   #38
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I'll read either fiction or non-fiction. But it tends to be the total escapism of visiting new worlds, new dimensions even, that science-fiction provides that appeals to me the most.

It's the only way currently that I can grab a much needed vacation from this planet!
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:19 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just curious as to how much fiction vs non-fiction people read. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being all non-fiction and 10 being all fiction, which do read for personal (non-work) reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I'll read either fiction or non-fiction. But it tends to be the total escapism of visiting new worlds, new dimensions even, that science-fiction provides that appeals to me the most.

It's the only way currently that I can grab a much needed vacation from this planet!
So what is your number?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:30 AM   #40
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So what is your number?
Likely a 9.5 in favour of fiction.
Old 10-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Likely a 9.5 in favour of fiction.
Sort of like saying the C.I.A. agency.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #42
neil_swann80

Quote:
* winks at the operative now reading this thread *
Old 10-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Supposedly acceptable:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums//s...6&postcount=83
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 10:54 PM   #44
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Just curious as to how much fiction vs non-fiction people read. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being all non-fiction and 10 being all fiction, which do read for personal (non-work) reading?

25% fiction masquarading as non-fiction.
30% pure mind candy fiction.
25% non-fiction
15% Purports to be non-fiction, but I have my doubts.
5% fiction that isn't mind candy
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:36 PM   #45
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I read mostly fiction.
Lately I've been thinking i should read some history since I didn't pay as much attention as I probably should have when I was in school. Haven't gotten around to actually doing it though....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote